Request Make call attendent fix lost balls as well

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Many (including myself) have had games ruined due to lost balls. This seems to be common across several tables, on several platforms. Why doesn't calling an attendant fix this? If the table does a search, and the player is not holding a flipper in, it should assume the ball is lost and allow you to reset it. This happens more often than stuck balls, and is more damaging, since you must abandon your game, and lose your score, along with whatever goals you may have completed. I am having a hard time imagining how some people could take advantage of this to cheat, and don't see why it hasn't been implemented.

starck

Jun 7, 2012
I request no more requests until farsight is able to fix the existing problems in their tables! :p

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I request no more requests until farsight is able to fix the existing problems in their tables! :p
This is an extremely important problem that should be fixed. It's rare when it happens, but catastrophic when it does, as it seems to most often occur in extremely high-scoring games.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I've already suggested this, and outlined a way it could be implemented here.
Not a fan of the lost ball rule, as if you have a 15 second countdown, that should prevent abuse, since it takes nearly superhuman skill to predict your ball is headed for the drain, and yet keep it in play for 15 seconds without hitting any switches. Your thread does bring up an interesting point, though, as resetting the ball could screw up the ball count and lock positions.
BTW, what is a chase ball?

starck

Jun 7, 2012
This is an extremely important problem that should be fixed. It's rare when it happens, but catastrophic when it does, as it seems to most often occur in extremely high-scoring games.

I completely agree. It would be super helpful for those times in bk when my ball gets lost after multiball

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Not a fan of the lost ball rule, as if you have a 15 second countdown, that should prevent abuse, since it takes nearly superhuman skill to predict your ball is headed for the drain, and yet keep it in play for 15 seconds without hitting any switches. Your thread does bring up an interesting point, though, as resetting the ball could screw up the ball count and lock positions.
BTW, what is a chase ball?
Monster Bash and some of the other very late-model Williams tables will give up after 6 or 7 ball searches and end your ball (with bonus), and if you have 1 or more balls left to play, it will serve a new one. The idea is that you might be able to knock the stuck ball loose with the second ball. Earlier Williams tables will ball search pretty much forever.

I believe the concept was created because by 1998, many pinball machines were in locations that did not have an attendant on duty, and so there needed to be some way of attempting to free a stuck ball without opening up the machine. Otherwise the machine would stop earning until someone with the keys bothered to show up.

I included the loss of ball because the real machines do that, but I would not weep if it somehow were overlooked in the TPA implementation. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts