FarSight Limiting Table Options To iOS And Android Platforms

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I really hope FarSight doesn't limit the tables they decide to recreate depending on the limitations of the majority of iOS and Android devices. Talk is already going around about the possibility of FarSight not releasing tables running the S.A.M. system because of the limitations of the aforementioned devices. IMO...The Pinball Arcade should revolve around the major platforms which include PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and possibly the Wii U. The platforms I just mentioned should have no problem emulating the S.A.M. system and I believe the majority of sales will be through the major platforms since those owning them usually have no problem ponying up the cash for dlc unlike half the people owning mobile devices (look at the main reason for all the one and two star reviews). I really hope FarSight keeps this in mind when the time comes to make a decision on the S.A.M. tables.

Last edited:

Patrick McBride

Feb 20, 2012
I really hope they don't base any decisions around the weakest link either. The portable versions are a nice light version of the game to play away from the PC and consoles (or when it's the only version we currently have), but that's it. All the more reason the PC release delay is a tragedy :(

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
It's not like handhelds can't play the tables without rom emulation. I'm ok if the tables lack ROM emulation only on certain platforms if it means them running smooth. The platforms that can handle it can still run the rom emulation. I rather that the handhelds get a version catered to them than them being given the middle finger. I feel the games should make full use of the platforms, but it's not like every table has issues and most Bally/Williams/Gottlieb are fine on older platforms.

I don't want them making decisions around the "weakest link" (even though even iPad 1 has more powerful specs than Wii), but I also disagree that only the newest hardware needs to be supported.

Also, I would wait to hear what Farsight says on the matter. Hopefully, they will make some SAM tables.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I don't want them making decisions around the "weakest link" (even though even iPad 1 has more powerful specs than Wii), but I also disagree that only the newest hardware needs to be supported.

I completely understand where you're coming from, but you have to draw the line somewhere and new games will always sell better on the latest devices and platforms. I don't want to buy a new game that's only average cause the developer had to put constraints on the game just so it's compatible on old, dying or under powered devices and platforms.

***EDIT***Creating tables without ROM emulation would go against FarSight's Mission Statement which is to provide "EXACT recreations of the greatest pinball games of all time". I want TPA to succeed above all expectations, but putting constraints and limitations on it will make it harder to reach that goal.

Last edited:

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I completely understand where you're coming from, but you have to draw the line somewhere and new games will always sell better on the latest devices and platforms. I don't want to buy a new game that's only average cause the developer had to put constraints on the game just so it's compatible on old, dying or under powered devices and platforms.

***EDIT***Creating tables without ROM emulation would go against FarSight's Mission Statement which is to provide "EXACT recreations of the greatest pinball games of all time". I want TPA to succeed above all expectations, but putting constraints and limitations on it will make it harder to reach that goal.

Drawing the line is one thing, but I already mentioned that I feel that they aren't toning down the games for platforms and that it's possible for multiple versions to exist without comprimise. Farsight advertised support for multiple platforms and the video for the PS3 version proves the versions will try to make use of more powerful hardware. Also, I mentioned multiple times on Facebook that iPod Touch 4 (VERY similar specs to iPad 1 Wifi) is still being supported and I feel it's going over death ears.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Let me put it this way, if FarSight decides it would be too much trouble to make basically two versions of a demanding table (one for powerful platforms and one for under powered platforms), they may just scrap the table all together cause obviously they want all their tables available on all devices and platforms. I for one don't want to see this happen.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Let me put it this way, if FarSight decides it would be too much trouble to make basically two versions of a demanding table (one for powerful platforms and one for under powered platforms), they may just scrap the table all together cause obviously they want all their tables available on all devices and platforms. I for one don't want to see this happen.

I don't want it to happen either and if worse comes to worse, I hope they do platform exclusives. It's just frustrating that iOS devices are out barely a year and they have a new and more powerful one. Not to mention that apple STILL hasn't made a new iPod Touch for awhile. Anyway, with Ripley's, even though it's demanding, I want that one working becuase Farsight advertised the tables as working on iPad 1. They mentioned that they already got it stablized and are working on 60 FPS for it as well. I think it's a bit harsh to tell people "hey! you're stuck with it since you are on an older platform", especially since they got everthing else working well on it (well technically, I'll be buying it again on 360 and I feel the price was reasonable, I just want the table to be as playable as Zen on iPad 1, if they can't do 60 FPS).

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I don't want it to happen either and if worse comes to worse, I hope they do platform exclusives. It's just frustrating that iOS devices are out barely a year and they have a new and more powerful one. Not to mention that apple STILL hasn't made a new iPod Touch for awhile.

I just hope FarSight comes up with a solution that will satisfy the majority of us pinheads.

N

Nik Barbour

Got to say I'm with Brian on this one.
I don't want to be cut off from any of the up comming tables (where possible), and I can't afford multiple platforms or updating hardware every 12 months!

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Got to say I'm with Brian on this one.
I don't want to be cut off from any of the up comming tables (where possible), and I can't afford multiple platforms or updating hardware every 12 months!

I know how you feel Nik cause I still use Windows XP on an older PC, but I can't play Modern Warfare 3 on it. I know if I want to play MW3 or any of the newer games I'd have to upgrade my PC as I wouldn't want Activision to water down the game just so it's playable on my operating system and dated PC as well. I don't want to miss out on possible S.A.M. tables because FarSight couldn't get them to run smoothly or at all on lesser powered devices. You have to ask yourself, would that be fair to the rest of us that own platforms that are more than capable of running said tables? That's really the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
No, it wouldn't be fair. However with their release schedule of two tables a month, there are plenty of tables for them to work on that for sure will run on older devices so hopefully this won't be an issue. If you still have an older device in a couple of years and you can't get certain tables, then you either will need to upgrade or not get that table. At least that's what I want to see happen and the rest of us not get held back. It's not like I can get new games for my Colecovision, have to upgrade at some point. :)

Tony C

Feb 20, 2012
Isn't that the beauty of DLC? Farsight can develop all of the tables they want/can. They'll test it before it's released and tell us what it will run on. If your hardware doesn't make the cut, you don't buy the table and you're not out anything. If you think it MIGHT run, you get it and try it. It's a couple of bucks. My PC's have always been at least a generation behind the pack. Every time a new game was released, my options were to leave it on the shelf or upgrade.

People that own a Yugo don't drive on the Autobahn.

N

Nik Barbour

I just hope FarSight comes up with a solution that will satisfy the majority of us pinheads.

I think at the end of the day we are just standing in different camps - anyone with top end hardware will want this project pushed to the limits that their gear can take - but on the flip side of coin, those without don't want to miss out either, its just personal perspective. No ones right or wrong and we aren't going to change each others minds.
I'd say going forwards if this project runs for years to come as promised, you must expect to upgrade at some point or face not having access to some tables - just to not be excluded right at the start.
Its Farsights choice which route to follow, I'd speculate that they are a business at the end of the day and will want to sell to as broad a market as they possibly can to maximise sales - if they go down the niche market route too early this project wouldn't float for long anyway.
Tony C's comments are well made - DLC is its own solution anyway, if it wont run, don't download it.
I like PiN WiZ's quote above and hope that the majority is satisfied - After all, everyone in this forum is a Pinball Arcade Fan!

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I apologize to everyone reading this thread (especially to you Brian). My intention wasn't to isolate people, but to merely voice a concern I had. I have faith FarSight will make decisions that's in the best interest of TPA's success.

Last edited:

HeYjOe

Feb 20, 2012
I'll be playin' on a 360. My older mobile won't handle the game, that doesn't annoy me as I appreciate there's got to be a decent spec to do the game justice.
Some of the purchasers with lower spec phones might just be one-timers, buying yet another game and move on. I'd sooner cater to the die-hards who'll be purchasing most of the DLC in the future. I'm already looking at upgrading to a decent spec mobile when finances allow :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.