The Shadow

ROTTEN

Jun 27, 2012
Does anyone remember this table? This is my all time favorite pinball table. To me it's the most addictive table ever. I remember being like 18 years old and pumping so much $$$ into this game and playing it for hours upon hours. I miss this table so much ............ Please FarSight give us The Shadow!!! ;)

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
I second that. "The Battlefield" upper playfield on The Shadow was sweet! If only we could remove the movie theme and replace it with 30 Rock......

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
As a fan of Old Time Radio , and The Shadow , I have a special fondness for that license , I have even used the Shadow as online avatar name . Table looks good too bad it's a obscured movie license.

ROTTEN

Jun 27, 2012
I've been watching gameplay vids all day, I can't get enough .. lol I need this table!!

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Alec Baldwin does not approve the mobile versions for his likeness since they won't let him play during take off.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Could be a good companion to Medieval Madness, just because of casting. Enough of your peasant pinball, Liz Lemon! This is the Third Heat!

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
....... and thank god the table is better than the movie ;)
Too right! I had a Shadow for a while. A good game with an interesting layout but I just couldn't love it anything like as much as some other games. That's always the thing with having pinballs at home - they have to look as good as they play. Unfortunately The Shadow never appealed to me visually. Hardly surprising given the film it is tied into.

I would enjoy playing it again in TPA though.

Also those ramp diverters are unbelievably loud. Not a game appreciated by the neighbours (or my wife). ;)

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I would like to see this one in TPA. Like Dracula its become more appreciated in recent years as a "players" game and good bang for the buck when compared to other Bally/Williams from this time period.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I would like to see this one in TPA. Like Dracula its become more appreciated in recent years as a "players" game and good bang for the buck when compared to other Bally/Williams from this time period.
This was Brian Eddy's first design effort. He only made two more, but those two were AFM and MM. It's a shame he came along so late, otherwise we'd be enjoying even more great tables, and his name would be as illustrious in the industry as Pat Lawlor and Steve Ritchie.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
OK, my curiosity has finally overcome my ignorance.

I've heard various tables referred to as "player's games", but I've not been able to determine what they have in common that makes them so. What attribute(s) must a table have to be considered a player's game?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Collectors really love it. They say it takes a lot of skill to put up good scores. There are a lot of tight shots and the table is unforgiving on misses. The mini table in the upper table looks cool. I've never played Shadow because the backglass and theme are so unappealing to me. If I bump into it again I will definitely play it.

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
Great machine, bad movie. :p
Would like to see this in TPA and I don't think the license would be more expensive as Ripley's e.g., but I could be wrong.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
OK, my curiosity has finally overcome my ignorance.

I've heard various tables referred to as "player's games", but I've not been able to determine what they have in common that makes them so. What attribute(s) must a table have to be considered a player's game?

I would say difficulty comes into play. Pinball tournaments are becoming more popular and tables like these are appreciated due to being unsympathetic to the novice. They put aside the "good" but not "great" theme and appreciate the playfield design. Personally, I have not been able to put much time into Shadow or Dracula because I just have never seen them much. Never on location and only sometimes at shows.

On another note these two, along with others, have simply become more popular to collectors in recent years and that's easy to explain. Tables like TZ, TAF, MM, ect. have been rising and rising in value so they gotta find something else out of a limited number of pins to snap up. Another way to look at is you get a new album (I guess they're still called that). You listen to the popular songs over and over again till you're sick of them. You start listening to the others and think "these ain't so bad either." You start talking about the other songs with your buddies. They start thinking the same thing. All of a sudden, they're more popular because you and your buddies ain't the only ones thinking that. Then, of course, there's, always a Gilligan's Island that's never going to get any radio time. :)

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Underappreciated by the main public, mainly because of a theme that isn't very inspiring combined with a not-so-obvious ruleset, possibly combined with very hard to reach goals. Whereas people that are more into pinball give the tables more than the occasional glance, learn the ruleset and learn to love the game and keep coming back for more. In the current TPA lineup I'd say only RBioN would count towards that nomenclature (as obviously a "players game" is commercially less interesting...you want instantly attractive games with deep rulesets for both the casual player as the more serious, competitive player. So MM, MB, TOtaN and TOM...all those top 20 tables :)).

Funhouse would've counted too ("not-so-obvious ruleset") if the theme itself and it's presentation didnt speak to the main public (shoot rudy in the face!).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.