Um, if Zen can do this, I want FarSight to too!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
You guys see Zen Pinball 2 is finally coming out for PS3/Vita on Sept. 4? Now I don't want this to become a Zen vs TPA thread. What I want to know is what do you guys think of what they're offering and do we think (hope?) that FarSight might one day be able to implement the same kind of thing?

First, go watch the trailer at zenpinball.com (it's not heresy to direct anyone over there is it?). It's the first video to pop up.

Now then, here's what stood out to me...

1. I like that grid of tables! Once our TPA collection starts getting larger, I'm not gonna be happy to have to be scrolling through tables. With Zen and Marvel under one roof, it's 26 tables or something like that. This is a good call.

2. Split screen pinball playing against a friend over the internet (I assume) for head to head battles? C'mon! How can you not like that?

3. Stereoscopic 3D pinball. I don't have a 3D TV yet, but you can bet once I do, I'm gonna want me some pinball with depth.

4. Cross play with PS3/Vita. FarSight beat them to the punch on that one, glad it's a trend that is continuing all the same.

5. New physics and graphics. Hmmm, have to see how noticeable this gets. All I'm hoping for is they correct what I am clearly in the minority for...HD TVs that only do 1080i, not 720p. Zen for me gets downscaled to 480 AND squishes the screen into letterbox. The only PS3 game I've ever played that does that. Boooooooo.

So? I know I'm excited for FarSight just to implement a free roaming camera and maybe some sort of stat list, but if Zen can add all of this (is it still going to be a free update?), I'm gonna be expecting, clamoring, salivating over the prospect that TPA might be able to do any or all of the above. But if I had to only pick one, dear lord do I want split screen pinball!!

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I am eager to see Zen 2 as well. The split-screen multiplayer is a must-have feature, IMHO.

Tabe

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, I love the split-screen multiplayer on Pinball FX 2. I've never tried it online, but the local split-screen is a blast when you have a buddy over. I really hope it makes it into TPA eventually.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Tabe, how in the hell did you get your signature to display so cleanly? You see mine? It's an ugly mess! I had it all nice and clean in Word, copied it over and blech. What's your secret please?

N

Nik Barbour

Some of the signatures are playing up the zoom on my phone, now the table list is growing.
Some of them are so wide, any where they post, the entire thread zooms out, text goes microscopic, and to read you have to scroll each line as you read it.
Still enjoy the posts though :D

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
2. Split screen pinball playing against a friend over the internet (I assume) for head to head battles?
Not sure this is possible with ROM-emulation, as this isn't a feature of the original tablesoftware (unlimited balls up to a certain score, with % reduction on a drain). Side by side play in tournament mode seems more realistic, but on the other side not as " fun" a multiplayer mode for casuals. The unlimited balls especially make it a favourite among kids to play I've noticed.

3. Stereoscopic 3D pinball. I don't have a 3D TV yet, but you can bet once I do, I'm gonna want me some pinball with depth.

No you dont, as 3D forces the game to go half fps, which is suboptimal to say the least for pinball games.

5. New physics and graphics. Hmmm, have to see how noticeable this gets.
I assume they will get very comparable to PFX2. If you have played avengers chronicles on ps3, you know what to expect.

Last edited:

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
I'm pretty sure that 60 fps and 1080p split screen, would be impossible to achieve / maintain.
I would rather have the above and online if I had to have simultaneous multiplayer.
We do need an alternative front end soon though. Maybe have local high scores visible on the home screen to as it were.

night

May 18, 2012
I agree with you on point 1. The TPA collection starts to grow and the scrolling is annoying. Especially since I don't buy every table, most are great and some I just don't like that much.. I would be better if can exclude them from the list as well, what's the point to keep 'm on the list? The whole menu should have an update. And please, an option to turn off the FaceBook crap!! And an option for free beer.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
Now I don't want this to become a Zen vs TPA thread

Aaaand in post #12, that dream is shattered

I want realistic pinball with great ball physics. This leaves Zen in the dust.

Well done. Not just for shattering the dream, but being as off-topic as possible. :D

Back on topic...

No you dont, as 3D forces the game to go half fps, which is suboptimal to say the least for pinball games.

Is it not that the games run in 720p at full fps ? I always thought it was a resolution drop.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
ah, ok, I'll have to check it out (not that I don't believe you !)

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-ps3-3d-games-720p-20100717781.htm

snippet:

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s senior development manager Simon Benson said that although the Sony PS3 is capable of rendering 3D images at 1080p, the console will scale down native 1080p games (for example Super Stardust HD) to 720p resolution when running in 3D mode.

He explained that the ceiling resolution of 720p is imposed to prevent 3D games from dropping below 60fps

Nice new sig, BTW.

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
ah, ok, I'll have to check it out (not that I don't believe you !)

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-ps3-3d-games-720p-20100717781.htm

snippet:

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s senior development manager Simon Benson said that although the Sony PS3 is capable of rendering 3D images at 1080p, the console will scale down native 1080p games (for example Super Stardust HD) to 720p resolution when running in 3D mode.

He explained that the ceiling resolution of 720p is imposed to prevent 3D games from dropping below 60fps

Nice new sig, BTW.

Ah for the ps3 that could be different then. I head that when you enable the 3D on a 3DS game, the fps is always halved. I extrapolated that info to ps3, probably erratically. I didnt research the matter due to the fact I have 0 interest in 3D in my home environment :)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
So then the simulview sony 3D tv cuts it down to 30 fps if your using that capability?
I liked the camera option, watching people freak out when they drained! :)
I'd like to see an opponets score live against mine till set points or full match.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
Ah for the ps3 that could be different then. I head that when you enable the 3D on a 3DS game, the fps is always halved. I extrapolated that info to ps3, probably erratically. I didnt research the matter due to the fact I have 0 interest in 3D in my home environment :)

No worries mate :) I have a 27" 3D monitor, and I gotta say, I love 3D stuff. Gimmick, maybe, flavor of the month, quite possibly, but I'm looking forward to 3D pinball...

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts