data East - no support?

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Would love to see, Jurassic Park, The Simpsons, Batman (1989), TMNT, Phantom of the opera, and Tales from the Crypt

King Kong would be interesting too, but doubt that would ever appear on TPA :(

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
The problem with Data East is that , to quote wikipedia, "In designing pinball machines they showed a strong preference for using high-profile (but expensive) licensed properties, rather than creating totally original machines" which added to their financial problems: these machines were expensive to make so they had to sell more to get a profit. You don't want farsight to make the same mistake.

Phantom and Tales are likely doable in the license deparment (I don't think Phantom is based on the Loyd-Webber musical/music), but anything else (licenced) will likely not be viable from them. Torpedo Alley and Time Machine might be decent enough.

Last edited:

stevesabol

Apr 13, 2012
The problem with Data East is that , to quote wikipedia, "In designing pinball machines they showed a strong preference for using high-profile (but expensive) licensed properties, rather than creating totally original machines" which added to their financial problems: these machines were expensive to make so they had to sell more to get a profit. You don't want farsight to make the same mistake.

It seems like Farsight has identified these type of licenses as ideal candidates for Kickstarter.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
TZ, STTNG and possibly TAF are ideal candidates, as they are very likely cheaper in licenses and pinball wise in a league beyond the likes of Jurassic Park (has ALL the actors from the movie on the backglass and playfield), Last Action Hero (Arnie), Data East Simpsons (still a relevant brand), Star Wars (same) and Batman (same).

If the money is in the same ballpark as STTNG (I'm VERY surprised and glad they can get that for a measly 50k), sure, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
As the former governor of California, isn't Arnold Schwarzenegger a public figure? Issues regarding likeness rights and depictions are much more lenient for public figures. For instance, Midway didn't need to get (then) President Clinton's permission to make him as a playable character in NBA Jam, a pugilist in Ready 2 Rumble Round 2, or as the final trophy presenter in Cruisin' USA and Cruisin' World, which he does in a hot tub complete with women in bikinis, for finishing the Cruise the USA / Cruise the World challenges.

Last edited:

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I've got to play Guns n Roses during my summer vacation and grew quite fond of it, but as I understand the whole situation between Axl and Slash makes a license virtually impossible. Which is a shame, it was a pretty fun table!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
As the former governor of California, isn't Arnold Schwarzenegger a public figure? Issues regarding likeness rights and depictions are much more lenient for public figures. For instance, Midway didn't need to get (then) President Clinton's permission to make him as a playable character in NBA Jam, a pugilist in Ready 2 Rumble Round 2, or as the final trophy presenter in Cruisin' USA and Cruisin' World, which he does in a hot tub complete with women in bikinis, for finishing the Cruise the USA / Cruise the World challenges.
His likeness as a governor is subject to the public figure rules. His likeness in any of his movies would not be.

BlindSpider11

Jun 26, 2012
Data East would be awesome to see, but as mentioned before just about every table has some big name license attached to it.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I would like to hear more solid information about Arnold being super expensive to license or not. I keep hearing speculation about how expensive he would be, but he isn't acting as often (though he's in Expendables 2). Also, wouldn't a flop movie like Last Action Hero be less expensive to license (though on the flip side, less likely to sell)?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I would like to hear more solid information about Arnold being super expensive to license or not. I keep hearing speculation about how expensive he would be, but he isn't acting as often (though he's in Expendables 2). Also, wouldn't a flop movie like Last Action Hero be less expensive to license (though on the flip side, less likely to sell)?
His star has been on the wane for some time, and his lackluster performance as governor, coupled with his "nanny affair" and subsequent divorce from Shriver, has made his career hit a new low. Also keeping in mind that he was willing to record custom dialogue for two tables (and a video game), so he might be willing to work with FS, especially since he wouldn't have to do anything, yet the public will be re-exposed to him as he was at the zenith of his career.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Ah-nold might come cheap these days (though he is VERY savvy in business, so who knows), but that doesn't mean the rest of the license would. And let's face it, which would you rather see, a T2 table or Last Action Hero? Yeah, that's what I thought!

I wouldn't hold my breath for any Star Wars license either, not until we see Indy. Then we'll know Lucasfilm is willing to play ball, and again, which table would you honestly rather see? Hint, it's not the Data East one.

Oh, and no way no how, even if you backed up the Brinks truck, are you gonna see Axl and Slash come to an agreement that would get us the G'n'R table. Hope someone makes a high quality VP version, cause that's gonna be your only outlet for it digitally. Speaking of, has anyone? Cause the one I downloaded years looks pretty sad, and the roms run REAL slow.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I'd kill for WWF, but given the licensing issues when even creating the *actual* game (I think IPDB says they went through several iterations due to the WWF roster changing so quickly?) there's less than zero chance of ever seeing it on PA :(

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Data East like Sega had some great themes but only average game play. They always feel clunky when you play them. But those darn themes always got some of my quarters. It would be fun to see a few of them on TPA. I think Guns is the best, but we all know we will never see that one. If Tales From The Crypt was made I'd be happy to see it.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I would imagine if we ever get a DE table it would probaly have to be scripted. I don't know if Farsight would go through the trouble of emulating their operating systems for just two or three tables.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I would imagine if we ever get a DE table it would probaly have to be scripted. I don't know if Farsight would go through the trouble of emulating their operating systems for just two or three tables.

I certainly hope not. I rather see them emulated than scripted, even if it is only one or two tables. After seeing what Farsight did with Tee'd Off in Gottlieb Pinball Hall of Fame, I don't want to see any more DMD tables scripted.

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I certainly hope not. I rather see them emulated than scripted, even if it is only one or two tables. After seeing what Farsight did with Tee'd Off in Gottlieb Pinball Hall of Fame, I don't want to see any more DMD tables scripted.

So would I. I don't know how much time and money Farsight has to sink into the development of emulating an operating system. If it's a lot then I just can't see the monetary reward for emulating the limited amount of Data East tables that would be logically obtainable. I think it's quite possible that, if Farsight sticks to their original statements of 40 to 50 tables, we may never get any Data East or Sega pins. We've all seen that they don't exactly advertise that they have the rights to them. It's only brought out when someone asks specifically about it. Kinda like when I asked them directly about the missing two songs from CFTBL. Farsight didn't post that information up front and for good reason. It's a disappointment.

Who knows? Farsight may decide there's enough want for some DE tables and decide to do them. But when you add up all or most of the two Hall of Fame collections, numerous WPC and System 11 titles along with a handful of classic Bally and Gottlieb's, and throwing in a few modern Stern's, you get to 40 or 50 tables pretty quick.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts