360 Screen tearing on Cirqus Voltaire's playfield mounted DMD

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
I suppose this is not an art issue per se, but I didn't want it to get lost in the noise. I'm playing TPA most frequently on an Xbox 360 hooked to an ASUS LCD computer display via HDMI. On this setup, the DMD that's mounted in the playfield (not the toggleable, floating one) has constant screen tearing right down the middle the whole time I'm playing it. Not sure what their respective setups are, but these three dudes also confirmed the issue. It's possible that all the tables tear all the time; I'm not enough of a graphicsphile to confirm or deny. But on CV it is glaringly obvious even to the most casual observer. I hope something can be done to rectify this in a future update.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
Ah, OK then. Thanks for adding that clarification, Carl. As I said, I don't really have an eye for fine graphical detail. I'm jealous of dudes who can watch a game being demoed at an event and tell you what framerate it's running at.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I definitely see this too in CV on the 360. It's as if the framerate of the simulated in-table DMD isn't commensurate with the framerate of the game, which I guess would be no surprise.

Having wrestled with screen-tearing problems on real devices, I could imagine this being tricky to fix. You're always dealing with the tradeoff between allowing tear because you let a display go down the pipeline before it was done, or introducing lag or deadlocks because you decided to wait.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
they flicker, not tear :)

try the cv table and turn on the dmd (the one on the left, not the playfield one)... you will see the difference between the two dmds -> one tears down the middle, the other doesnt

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
That's a good idea! However, I much prefer the on table dmd. I occasionally put the other one up for the amazing roonie sideshow marvel.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts