Licensed or Non-licensed?

Which do you prefer? Licensed or Non-Licensed games?

• Licensed

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Non-Licensed

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • No Preference

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
So which do we prefer? Licensed or Non-Licensed game themes?

After the success of Addams Family, pretty much everything made by Bally/Williams from '93 to '95 was a licensed theme. Companies like Sega, Data East and Gottlieb/Premier ONLY made pinballs based on big name licenses. The same is true of Stern now.

I've always been quite ambivalent towards licensed games. With few exceptions (TZ, ST:TNG for example) I feel the license restricts the designer's ability to deliver the best game possible. The artwork is often horribly compromised (who would really want to look at the backglass of The Shadow, Johnny Mnemonic or Demolition Man for any length of time?) and the games often become quite humourless, with the creative decisions out of the designer's hands.

TZ and ST:TNG work so well because the theme is so loose, or at least not tied to such a strict narrative, that the game's design can be whatever the designer wants. The license acts as a creative springboard rather than a straitjacket.

Although pinball's popularity, and that of arcades generally, was on the decline from '95 onwards, I think the games that Williams produced from then until their demise were more creative, satisfying and visually appealing than almost all of the licensed titles that had preceded them for a couple of years. There's the artistic flair and eccentricity of J-Pop's flowing table designs, and the humour and approachability of Brian Eddy's AFM and MM for starters.

Pre-Addams Family the game designs and themes were also largely original, and it's those designs - games like Funhouse, Fish Tales and The Getaway that stick in the memory. Of course, most pinballs from the '80s were non-licensed themes, and even if the rulesets have dated, the playfield layouts and artwork are often inspired.

So... what does everyone else think? Are licensed games a good or a bad thing?

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I get the impression that Dennis Ritchie had to push hard for them to get as much creative freedom with Star Trek: TNG as they did. Paramount was originally going to forbid them from depicting any violent acts, which Ritchie pointed out would have been untrue to the show itself.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
...Anyway, licenses can be good or bad, and some of my favorite tables are licensed, but I think I come down on the unlicensed side on the whole. I heard somewhere that Theatre of Magic was intended to be a licensed David Copperfield table; I can't imagine that being anything other than worse than the generic magic theme they went with.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Well, disregarding depth and gameplay (because honestly those are completely independant of license or nonlicense), I want great production values to draw you in and create a fun atmosphere. Sometimes licenses help in that department (tz, taf, sttng, simpsons pinball party, family guy, lotr, guns n roses) sometimes they hinder them (a LOT of movie related tables with corny lines, ugly playfields and forced related toys.

But the same goes for unlicensed ones....

In regards to TPA, I want them to create a certain ratio: 2 big licenses per year (tz/sttng/taf/ij/lotr/t2), 3/4/5 minor licenses with decent/good gameplay (rbion, mb, cftbl' tftc, elvira, getaway....hd??), the rest unlicensed.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
...Anyway, licenses can be good or bad, and some of my favorite tables are licensed, but I think I come down on the unlicensed side on the whole. I heard somewhere that Theatre of Magic was intended to be a licensed David Copperfield table; I can't imagine that being anything other than worse than the generic magic theme they went with.
Especially as ToM has one of my all-time favourite backglasses. Imagine that with Copperfield staring back at you! Shudder! ;)

I think a good license has to be kinda timeless. The movie ones (not counting TAF, LotR or IJ as they are either based on a series of films or a much older literary theme in the case of LotR) have a habit of dating badly. My possible exception to that is T2, which is just such a great aggressive game that it fits the theme perfectly. Also helps that the movie is a bit of an action/sci-fi classic now. Unlike T3...

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
While many of the greatest tables of all time came from licensed IPs, I still firmly hold the belief that creativity in any medium is at its highest potential when it isn't constrained by the preconceived notions of what an IP needs to include. Fortunately, pinball tends to be an exception to the rule in most cases, largely because a great table depends more on its mechanics and geometric flow, not on what toys, artwork, or sound effects get implemented. I've seen crappy movies made into great pinball tables, great movies adapted to terrible machines, and non-licensed tables that have blown away the high-dollar competition.

Still, my all-time favorite pins include Swords of Fury, Xenon, Haunted House, and a handful of others that are all original IPs. I still like Twilight Zone, Addams Family, and other licensed tables as much as the next guy, but I find myself getting hung up on the theme and whether or not I like the property it came from.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
The only licensed pinball that I've kept is ST:TNG and that is simply because I love the gameplay, layout and ruleset. I don't dislike the theme but the artwork and backglass don't do a great deal for me.

Only sold the TZ for financial reasons many years ago. To be honest, I hardly consider TZ to be a licensed theme. It was clearly just a green light for Pat Lawlor to put as much weird s**t into one pinball as was humanly possible. :D

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Had no preference on this one. Thought about my 10 favorites and they are a mix of both. Just depends on the table. I love Addams Family, TZ, Scared Stiff, and Indiana Jones. But I'd be just as happy to be playing White Water, Haunted House, No Good Gofers, or Attack From Mars.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
License or no license, the table has to work well with its theme. With that said, I'm just about sick of every Stern table being a license. When Jersey Jack said that some future pins from them will be original titles I was glad to hear it.

I get the impression that Dennis Ritchie had to push hard for them to get as much creative freedom with Star Trek: TNG as they did. Paramount was originally going to forbid them from depicting any violent acts, which Ritchie pointed out would have been untrue to the show itself.

Who's Dennis Ritchie? :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts