Banzai Run!!!

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I noticed that there wasn't a thread for this amazing pin (well,to me anyways)...so I decided to make up one & see if anyone else would like this on TPA.

I am a big time video gamer,having grown up at the perfect time for it. Rhode Island,back in the day had its fair share of arcades (Saturn's Rings,Beck's Arcade,Rocky Point - to name a few). DG's Arcade in Warwick was the biggest one & had plenty of action to keep things interesting.

I wasn't much of a pinballer,but I remember seeing someone playing this weird looking machine - & once I saw the ball go into the upper playfield, I knew that I had to try it - and it turned out to be a blast to play!

BR quickly became a game that I made sure that I spent some money on every time that I went back - and I remember finally beating Red Hot,after many tries. There was just something special about that game,& without it, I probably wouldn't have given pinball another look. While BR isn't my all time favorite (Attack From Mars has that) - I wouldn't have my love for pinball without it. So here's hoping that at some point Farsight can & will emulate Banzai Run - so I can finally be the King of the Hill!!

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
I've never played it...
But went to a guy's house, last Sat for comp meet, who had one.
And STILL didn't play it! Gutted now! Grrrr.
He had like 40 AAA tables-Only opens up to us hoi poloi a couple of times a year...
I'd defo vote for a TPA version of this rarity :)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I was at a place a few weeks ago that had it. I didn't play it. I was too busy playing old favorites that I hadn't seen in years. On the drive home my buddy said that he had the best time playing a pin he had never heard of called Banzai Run. Planning on going back next week to find out what I missed.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Would love to see Banzai Run in action. Pat's first project.

EDIT: Went to D.C. mid-end May. Had they not thrown NPM out (damn you, D.C.!!!!), I would've enjoyed the time there. Big mistake right there.

Last edited:

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Never played it, but soooooooo want to. Another playfield in the backglass? Yes, please. So add me to the ranks of those requesting/hoping for Banzai Run to make TPA. I know of a place that's selling one that's probably pretty cherry, but they want $6000 for it.

Additional note: Being the only pin ever with a second playfield in the backglass, and being the first Pat Lawlor, they really NEED to do this one, for their "preserving pinball" theme.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I'm not sure how the TPA engine would handle the vertical playfield, but it's a pretty good game, and we really need some more System 11.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I'm in agreement with Rudy here. While this is a cool table, recreating the back glass may require unique programing that might not be finaciably viable. If they could logically do this table it would be a historically significant addition to the collection.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I didn't think about the programming part in regards to the upper playfield. Hopefully the TPA architecture can handle it,and like dtown stated,BR has a place in pinball history.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Vertical backglass works just fine in CV, so shouldn't be an issue here. I'd think it's like programming for the lower playfield in BH.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Vertical backglass works just fine in CV, so shouldn't be an issue here. I'd think it's like programming for the lower playfield in BH.

CV just has a single rubber ball flying around a loop. When you add in the flippers and a real pinball, it's a whole different story. It plays completely differently than a normal horizontal playfield.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well all I know is Banzai Run has been functionally running in VP for 6+ years, with vertical playfield. I see no reason why FS couldn't figure it out. The trick is showing the vertical area, but they obviously figured that out with CV. But the physics? The could take any table out right now and apply physics that would simulate the table being stood up on end. It's just number adjustments.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I felt like giving this thread a bump up. I'm planning a trip up to the Pinball Wizard Arcade in NH soon,so my daughter cal finally play a pinball machine - and I'll get to play the WOZ table too - but they also have Banzai Run,so that will be awesome to play. But playing this in TPA would also be great - so hopefully FS can make it happen :)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I was at a place a few weeks ago that had it. I didn't play it. I was too busy playing old favorites that I hadn't seen in years. On the drive home my buddy said that he had the best time playing a pin he had never heard of called Banzai Run. Planning on going back next week to find out what I missed.

I'm quoting myself just to report that I have played it several times since that post. Very interesting table. I like it but don't love it. The backglass part of the pin is so difficult to get anything going on. But the bottom section is fun. They have it at the Pinball Parlour in Earlington PA. And also have Safe Cracker, if you want to cross a couple of rare pins off your personal played list.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
You think FS could handle it switching from headboard to playfield that quick? or seemlesly? I dunnoooo

Heck, in TZ, TPA sometimes has trouble switching from the gumball machine to the playfield. I've had the multiball start before the camera pulled back.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts