Manufacturer Rundown

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Zaccaria is Italian, while Sonic, Unidesa/Cirsa/Stargame, and Maguinas are Spanish manufacturers. Were any of the tables produced by these companies, such as Farfalla, Mars Trek, Mephisto, or Mac Jungle respectively, ever released in the American mass market? Were there any other major overseas companies? As far as I can tell, only eighteen noteworthy trade names have ever shown up in the pinball industry:

Williams
Bally [including Midway]
Gottlieb [including Premier and Mylstar]
Stern
Data East
Sega
Capcom
Atari
Game Plan
Jennings
Chicago Coin
Alvin G.
Hankin
Zaccaria
Unidesa/Cirsa/Stargame
Sonic
Maquinas
Jersey Jack [new]
Skit-B [new]
Heighway [new]

Sorry, I guess this is actually a 2-stage question - 1) Am I missing any major manufacturers? 2) Were the tables manufactured overseas also released to the American market or just imported in limited fashion?

As much as people talk about Farfalla and Mephisto, I don't know whether to chalk those up to VP emulation exposure or actual play, since I've personally never run across a real one.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
There's a Farfalla near me, but it goes mostly neglected by players. You need to be secure in your masculinity to play it; there's a lot of flowers and rainbows in the artwork ("Farfalla" is Italian for "butterfly").

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
There's a Farfalla near me, but it goes mostly neglected by players. You need to be secure in your masculinity to play it; there's a lot of flowers and rainbows in the artwork ("Farfalla" is Italian for "butterfly").
You mean i've been eating butterflies when i order farfalle??

Gross.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
These two really couldn't be more different, could they?

mephisto1.jpg

zfarfalla1.jpg

Butterfly girl vs. slave girl in shackles...

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
I've never even seen a Zaccaria machine before and that pic has 3? I demand to know where it was taken!

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
I've never even seen a Zaccaria machine before and that pic has 3? I demand to know where it was taken!

I'm pretty certain that's the private collection of a Zaccaria enthusiast named Mike Nogle. Not sure where he lives, so if you were planning to raid his gameroom, I can't help you.

EDIT: Correction, the previous pic is from the PAPA warehouse, as you can see the PAPA stickers on the lower right table glass. Mike Nogle probably has more (see below).

welcome.jpg

Last edited:

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
By the way, I just got off a 25-minute phone call with Drew Maniscalco from Jersey Jack Pinball about this Wizard of Oz table. How do y'all feel about their 26-inch color display that's replacing the DMD? It sounds like Stern may even be adding color displays now that they have competition. I don't know that any of us were ASKING for color displays, as the DMD has become a classic feature, but Drew's explanation at least made it clear that the display was nothing like Pinball 2000's stupid playfield extension.

I can say one thing - that playfield looks B.A.

wooplayfinal.jpg

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
By the way, I just got off a 25-minute phone call with Drew Maniscalco from Jersey Jack Pinball about this Wizard of Oz table. How do y'all feel about their 26-inch color display that's replacing the DMD? It sounds like Stern may even be adding color displays now that they have competition. I don't know that any of us were ASKING for color displays, as the DMD has become a classic feature, but Drew's explanation at least made it clear that the display was nothing like Pinball 2000's stupid playfield extension.

I can say one thing - that playfield looks B.A.
Give me another few weeks for CP Pinball's Wizard of Oz to arrive and I'll be able to tell you exactly how I feel about it.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Hey JoshuaKadmon did you see the link above about the UK company starting up? Theres more photos in the previous article about them. Does it matter its not 100% complete?

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Hey JoshuaKadmon did you see the link above about the UK company starting up? Theres more photos in the previous article about them. Does it matter its not 100% complete?

No, not at all. It's not like Jersey Jack or Skit-B are completely off the ground either. I guess I didn't catch what it was about at first, but now I do. So I can add Heighway to the short list of newbies in the industry. At least their table art is starting to look cool. Can't tell much else yet, but as I told Drew at JJ, it's just nice to see new pinball companies creep out of Stern's shadow, ya know? The next thing you know, we'll be watching PAPA tournaments on ESPN and visiting new pinball-specific arcades in nearby cities. Potentially, this could be a VERY cool time to be a pinball fanatic.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Heres the first article it shows alot more conceptual pictures.
http://www.pinballnews.com/games/circe/index2.html

Love the art style and the English pub theme. The playfield layout looks promising, too.

Back in the heyday of pinball, first in the early 1980s and later in the 1992-1997 peak, we had a multitude of American manufacturers with a handful of international companies all competing for the market. But since 2000, it's been all Stern except for the classic collections here and there. It would be so nice to see a global pinball market, with televised competitions and some hardcore arcade circuits. Now that the UK may see it's first contender in the pinball industry, maybe we could get Japan's pachinko-crazy populous involved, perhaps the Aussies or a Euro revival. It's too soon to get excited, I suppose, but stranger things have happened. To witness a full-on pinball resurrection in 2012/2013 would be nuts!

For the most part, pinball has always been regarded as uniquely American, but we're just too fickle with our entertainment loyalties. Maybe a global market is the ticket to bringing pinball back for good, to have it stick as a major competitive hobby like poker and table tennis.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts