Question about hypothetic future kickstarter

DarthVonDoom

Jun 13, 2012
If we look at the first 2 kickstarters: Twilight Zone an Star Trek: TNG those are popular licenses but also 2 incredibles pinball tables that are as of today #1 and 2 on ipdb top 300. It's no wonder most of us are willing to donate we really want to play those tables. But what if Farsight were to choose for their next kickstarter a table that's not as highly rated. I don't know if they were to say it's A nightmare on Elm Street or TMNT ( yes it's two tables I really dream of having but I'm writing I get to choose the example) Those 2 tables are #119 and #260 on the top 300. They're quite popular licenses, arguably good, fun, but
not incredible tables.

I hear a lot that people donate to support farsight so they keep releasing new tables. Would you still do it and think that if if was for a table you're not as excited to play?

I chose those 2 tables but it could have been Stargate, Monday Night Football or Gilligan's Island. There's a lot of cool licenses out there and If TPA becomes as succesful as we all wish it will, in 3 years from now most of those top 30 tables will be released. By then TPA should be in more casual gamers hands than pinball fanatics. Casual gamers would probably be more interested in Robocop than I don't know Fireball II.

I know I would take TMNT over most of the new Stern tables even if it's #260.

Just curious to know what you guys think.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
If I'm being honest, I would probably kick in a tenner to any licensed table they care to kickstart, but I'd be pretty surprised if they go to this well again. As you say, the two they've approach so far are the picks of the litter.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
I think that unless it's an AMAZING table, the kickstarter thing will get old quickly. And buying each DLC for XBOX and PS3 is donating to keep them releasing new tables.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
There's a lot of discussion about this in the kickstarter-related threads already, but the prevailing thought is that FarSight will be able to use Kickstarter one more time (probably for Addams Family if the other licensing issues can be resolved; Indiana Jones is also often put forward as a possibility) before backers get tired of being asked for money.

The hope is that TZ, ST:TNG, and possibly the third table will get a lot of positive exposure for TPA and generate a lot of sales, so that FarSight can pursue major-licensed tables without as much need for a kickstarter for each one. This doesn't mean they'd never do one again, just that they wouldn't need to do one for every major-licensed table.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Nope, my kickstart support goes towards the best pinball tables (that happen to be licensed). There are simply no alternatives to tz sttng taf, indy, lotr (best post 2000 licensed table and a great license id love to see) and simpsons.

Id say once you run out of the top 20 there are plenty of alternatives to the licened tables that need no licensing cost.

That said, after tz and sttng Id rather not se a kickstart till after the 1 yr anniversary.

Last edited:

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Just thinking out loud here Bavel, but if FS continue down the road of bringing the top ten through either general updates or kickstarters, this would swell the coffers somewhat. Potentially this would give them the scope to look down the popularity lists, as it were, and cherry pick some less well known pins.

They'd have the purchasing power behind them to obtain the much cheaper licenses, the staff and manpower to cover the resources needed. They'd also have the larger customer base, given the current increases in sales maintaining its trend, bringing the opportunity to create some of these masterpieces

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
Personally, I'd like to see the resources put towards fixing bugs on existing tables, before they worry about the next Kickstarter. It's all about priorities.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
Yeah, why wouldn't they? It's free money, as someone else already stated. If I were running FarSight, I probably wouldn't be able to resist the urge to keep doing them until one failed to fund, at least.

gjarnling

Jun 12, 2012
my take on it is that one supports FS by buying the DLCs. that's not a reason to donate on Kickstarter.

I have two reason: I want to see the particular table released in TPA and realise it simply wouldn't be done if we didn't help since it can't be commercially justified to make them otherwise. I also want the extras I get by supporting the Kickstarter, specially access to the operators menu.

I will not keep pledging through Kickstarter if it would be used on less known tables simply 'cus most of them actually could be developed without our help and the money made back through usual DLC sales. second of all I'm not dying to get operators menu (or other extras) on say Fireball.

Last edited:

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
After checking the IPDB , It seems like we will have an appointment with a certain Doctor Jones in the future , that is if you believe that obtaining the Addams Family movie license is futile .

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
After checking the IPDB , It seems like we will have an appointment with a certain Doctor Jones in the future , that is if you believe that obtaining the Addams Family movie license is futile .

I hope we see Indiana Jones too. I may be a half glass full kind of guy, but I think FS will find a way to bring us Addams Family at some point also. They know how many people want it and I think they will make it happen.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Personally, I'd like to see the resources put towards fixing bugs on existing tables, before they worry about the next Kickstarter. It's all about priorities.

Same, it better be a long time before they try this again. ...Although I really hate to say that I wouldn't be able to resist pitching in on an Addams Family kickstarter.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.