Android 4.0.4 performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattenno

Aug 17, 2012
Anyone know how to fix the performance issues on android 4.0.4? I'm on a droid razr maxx. Game has slowdown and sound issues. It was fine before the update.

Pop Sergeant

Jul 26, 2012
Another member (trachea) suggested turning off the location services in Google Maps; I used the system tray on 4.0.4 (Settings / Location Services) to turn off all location services and GPS. That worked well for me on my device. You'll probably want to do a device restart and then kill any non-essential apps running in the background before re-launching TPA. Your mileage may vary obviously but it's a start anyway. Good luck.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
At this point I am not sure what we would fix, it seems to be a firmware issue. I cannot control the background activities unfortunately.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Note also that I have tried it on a sgsII (at&t) and it seems to be working fine, although it is still on a previous os version so my guess is that the firmware update messed up something with the driver. I will however test it on other ICS devices

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
Note also that I have tried it on a sgsII (at&t) and it seems to be working fine, although it is still on a previous os version so my guess is that the firmware update messed up something with the driver. I will however test it on other ICS devices
I had Gingerbread on my Sprint SGSII and had the lag issues on Bride and Funhouse. It's part of the reason why I upgraded to ICS, and there wasn't much of a change just off the upgrade. Tinkering with kernel settings helped further.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
the next beta update i link today should help lag on those tables (the ones with the old style lcd hud). But you arent getting any issues with ics?

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
When I first installed ICS (stock ICS), I still had the lag on those two tables. After installing Blu Kuban, I didn't notice much of a change right off the bat. But since playing with Tegrak Overclock, the performance has increased. Bride of Pinbot and Funhouse still don't move like Ripley's or Black Hole, but it's noticeably improved from before. Sometimes if the action is going very fast, I'll lose sight of the ball, that's about the only complaint I really have with those two tables currently.

I'd like to tinker with it more (the BK dev has integrated some tweaking software into his OS) just to see what I can get off it without killing my battery, but I haven't had time. I'm also really trying to get a Nexus 7, and I cracked and bought the tables on X-Box Live, so my phone has taken a bit of a back seat at the moment.

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
Hello Ryan! I thought I would chime in and say I am having the same issues on Bride and Funhouse. I noticed this significantly after the Android update a few weeks ago. I have a Samsung Galaxy S II (Sprint) and the lag is just how ya'll are describing it. Although I notice when you select either Bride or Funhouse, while the camera is doing it's fly over the whole table, you can see the camera stutter every two seconds or so. On a weird note, on Bride when I shoot the ball up the shuttle ramp into the Pinbot playfield, it goes so fast I thought it teleported from the shuttle ramp to the Pinbot playfield! Lol! It happens on other shots too, but that one was so noticeable. The same speed inconsistencies from choppy lag to supersonic speed happens on both tables. I know it will get fixed so no worries. Thanks for all your hard work and what you do for pinball!

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
so, those of you that are having issues with the sound and lag, is it stuttering? Also are you sure that you are on the latest version of our app? There was an issue when JellyBean came out that I addressed, sounds like a similar issue

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
On my end my Pinball Arcade is up to date. It's more about the ball being "choppy", kinda disappears for a quarter of a second and comes back, along with lag. Kinda hard to explain.

Mike

Feb 24, 2012
Hello Ryan! I thought I would chime in and say I am having the same issues on Bride and Funhouse. I noticed this significantly after the Android update a few weeks ago. I have a Samsung Galaxy S II (Sprint) and the lag is just how ya'll are describing it. Although I notice when you select either Bride or Funhouse, while the camera is doing it's fly over the whole table, you can see the camera stutter every two seconds or so.

My gal has the exact situation described here by Russell on her Galaxy S2 Epic (Sprint). Same two tables and only since the update. I have TPA on iPad 2, android and ps3. She has it on android and ps3. I understand FS can't control what background processes might be running, but I don't think that's what is happening here. It's always those two tables, you can tell it's jittery on the flyover before you even play and it is every single time. Btw, everything is up to date on her SII epic

Last edited:

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
when you say update are you talking about us or the phone's firmware? I am working on a build she can try if she wishes, should be up here in an hour or so.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
ok i think i see what it might be, especially if its just those two tables. It must be stalling every now and then when its trying to push the pixels for the hud.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
it will be a bit hacky but i have a few ideas, gonna split it up into several frames instead of doing it all at once.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
The sound, not so much with stuttering or anything. The ball, however, sometimes will slow down, and you can see that it's dropping frames and not playing very smooth compared to the launch tables.

Skipper

Aug 12, 2012
so, those of you that are having issues with the sound and lag, is it stuttering? Also are you sure that you are on the latest version of our app? There was an issue when JellyBean came out that I addressed, sounds like a similar issue

The sound on SGSII G with ICS is stuttering heavily. Sometimes there is even no sound at all. You only hear a few soundframes with six or more seconds between them. The game itself is a bit slower than before the update but still playable. And yes, it's the latest version.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts