Request Lose the "ding dong" chimes during initial entry!

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
It's fine for tables like Gorgar, BK, BH and any other pre-1985 or other table that doesn't support initial entry, but for those that do, the machine always makes a much better sound than the annoying "ding dong" chimes. Even machines that are silent when buttons are pressed during initial entry are better without the chimes, because that is the way the real machine works, and it's always best to strive for authenticity.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
That sound is really annoying. And it's not just on initial entry. You get to hear it with every step of the UI navigation. The worst part is that it plays once per key press rather than once per menu action taken. So when I have a frustrating drain that causes me to do the "new game" menu dance, if I'm frustrated enough to hammer on the button I get to hear a steady stream of ding dongs that only exacerbates the issue. My fault, sure, but I would up my latest Kickstarter pledge to $500 if they'd fix that.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Are we sure this isn't some arcane MS requirement? I can easily envision the rulebook containing something like "Thou shalt cause a standard sound to emitteth on each press of ye button while navigating thine interface, so that even thine users most dull of wit knoweth that they hath taken an action."

Assuming it's not that, yes please, kill the sounds.

Neil L

Aug 5, 2012
+1

I totally agree with this and why doesn't the initial entry box disappear as soon as the initials have been entered?

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
The only sound in TPA I dislike more is the "It´s aaaaaaaaliiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvvuuuuh"-sample when I start Monster Bash.

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
+1

There's honestly a laundry list of stuff that's third rate about the sound design and interface, but taking those out would be a start.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
The sound is otherwise fine, but the "my God, she's alive" playing at the start of each Bride of Pin*Bot game kind of ruins it, especially for new players. Bringing the bride to life is supposed to be a surprise, or at least something you work to and are rewarded for - the whole production with the heartbeat slowly increasing, and finally the payoff! Having the menu reveal it every time you load up the table cheapens it. It's kind of like animated menus show the twist at the end of Sixth Sense every time you load it up, or seeing the Second Death Star blow up before the start of Return of the Jedi.

pinbot-76

Jul 11, 2012
Honestly I have no idea what the annoying ding sound is. I do miss those chimes from PHOF when a table goal is achieved.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
The sound is otherwise fine, but the "my God, she's alive" playing at the start of each Bride of Pin*Bot game kind of ruins it, especially for new players. Bringing the bride to life is supposed to be a surprise, or at least something you work to and are rewarded for - the whole production with the heartbeat slowly increasing, and finally the payoff! Having the menu reveal it every time you load up the table cheapens it. It's kind of like animated menus show the twist at the end of Sixth Sense every time you load it up, or seeing the Second Death Star blow up before the start of Return of the Jedi.

This is a super solid point right here.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
I complained about this back in April so it's nice to see more people voicing their opinion on this finally.

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/116-General-Wish-List-Thread?p=5080&viewfull=1#post5080

Oh shi… George just img-timelined this thread into dust.

fJ1RK.gif

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

LOL, what can I say, this has been bothering me since I first connected my tablet to my car speakers and realized how much of the presentation was being ruined.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
in the process of fixing (removing) the chime, it would be simply wonderful if the "hold button to skip through letters" implementation that is present on the console versions (as with most real life tables) could be implemented on the touch screen devices as well. it always bugs me sooo much having to "tap-tap-tap..." during initial entry!

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
the chime is only heard when using the triggers on the 360... if you use the l/b buttons for flippers it doesnt chime at all... so the only time you hear it is when playing older tables like black hole and gorgar

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
It's too easy to get to so it's hardly a spoiler.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
the chime is only heard when using the triggers on the 360... if you use the l/b buttons for flippers it doesnt chime at all... so the only time you hear it is when playing older tables like black hole and gorgar
Good to know that. I'll try that next time.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts