To Mike Reitmeyer: Question on influences

Sloopy_DE

Mar 15, 2012
Hi Mike,

i've read you're the lead 360 programmer and also the lead pinball framework programmer. So, do you have any influences by older pinball simulations? As far I can judge it, your physics simulation is really, really good. I would compare it with Pro Pinball's physics as equal which would be the first time for about 13 years that someone reaches out to this height :) Do you know Pro Pinball? Any influence by that?

Thanks again for a great pinball simulation, can't wait :)

Sloopy_DE

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I've not played Pro Pinball.

For the physics, we took the PHOF physics code and moved it over. Did some bounding volume optimizations and cleaned up the code a bit. Then added new functionality and improvements. Most of the improvments come from requests by Bobby King.

I worked on PHOF: Williams Collection, so I used my experience from that to create a new framework that allows us to "build" the tables as quickly as possible. Asside from my Xbox 360 tasks, most of my time is spent improving the framework to have more features, and assembling assets into the new tables. Once I have the table all setup, I hand it off to Bobby to do the physics tuning to make it match the real table. I strive to make everything as data driven as possible so he has a lot of control over tuning.

We're striving to make the best, most realistic pinball possible. Thanks for the compliments.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I've not played Pro Pinball.

For the physics, we took the PHOF physics code and moved it over. Did some bounding volume optimizations and cleaned up the code a bit. Then added new functionality and improvements. Most of the improvments come from requests by Bobby King.

I worked on PHOF: Williams Collection, so I used my experience from that to create a new framework that allows us to "build" the tables as quickly as possible. Asside from my Xbox 360 tasks, most of my time is spent improving the framework to have more features, and assembling assets into the new tables. Once I have the table all setup, I hand it off to Bobby to do the physics tuning to make it match the real table. I strive to make everything as data driven as possible so he has a lot of control over tuning.

We're striving to make the best, most realistic pinball possible. Thanks for the compliments.

I'm glad you all are taking the initiative to do everything possible to make TPA the most realistic pinball simulator to date. From the painstaking process of taking a real table apart for precise and accurate modeling to the tedious task of tweaking the physics to accurately match those of the real table and of course aquiring the proper licenses if applicable. This kind of dedication shows us that all of you at FarSight are looking to make the most of (IMO) a once in a lifetime opportunity for both you as developers and all of us as pinball fanatics and for that we thank you.

Sloopy_DE

Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the insight, Mike... I enjoy PHOF:WC really much, so I'm glad to hear, that TPA is based and improved on that :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts