Frustrating Table...........

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
:mad: It seems that this table relies more on luck than anything else. I find it hard to keep the ball on the table for any amount of time. It is hard to trap the ball like you can on some of the other tables. It seems there are few safe shots on this table, the genie , lamp and the outer lanes are hazards. And those sling shots are a killer.This is the type of table that would benifit greatly in bars eating up quaters.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
And I say it's the table that needs the most skill, patience and reflexes to get a really good high score. I judge tables "difficulty" by how easy it is to get extra balls and the wizard mode, and this one is one of the easiest (together with CV) in that regards. The lamp is the biggest risk/reward factor and makes the table really interesting if you combine it with the lightning and wishes. The genie is no drain hazard at all with proper nudging and the outlanes are protected by magnasaves.

What makes the table interesting in setting up high scoring conditions like highscoring Harem multiballs, and 3 x lighting multiballs with a lot of lampspins.

The table constantly entices you with hurrying up and making risky shots, that you really shouldnt fall for (Fireball, lighting on low spins).

Table with the most longevity together with RBION and MM for me.

e: Id rank the tables, in order of how much I get out of them, in the following order (only doing 360 tables)

1) TOTAN/RBION
3)MM
4)MB
5)TOM
6)CV
7)FH
8)BH
9)Gorgar
10) BOP

(Still have to really get into FH, and "get" it)

Last edited:

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
:mad: It seems that this table relies more on luck than anything else. I find it hard to keep the ball on the table for any amount of time. It is hard to trap the ball like you can on some of the other tables. It seems there are few safe shots on this table, the genie , lamp and the outer lanes are hazards. And those sling shots are a killer.This is the type of table that would benifit greatly in bars eating up quaters.

sorry, but the only drain hazard from the ones you mentioned is the lamp... you just need to get better at the table methinks

btw, this table was/is in bars eating up quarters ;)

Last edited:

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
Well, compared to bavelb and BonzoGonzo, I'm not great at this table, but ToTAN is easily my favorite table so far, and also the one that I find I have to really be on my game to play. The prospect of BIG points from many lamp spins is too hard to pass up, but you have to play smart. If the lamp posts are at 12 and 6, you should NEVER play for the lamp from the right flipper. Hitting that lower post is asking for trouble. If you find the ball on the right flipper, do a postpass to the left and aim for the back post, I found this to be a pretty good tactic.

And always, whether going for the lamp or genie, be prepared to nudge really quickly. I nudge on this table more than any other. Same goes for when the genie captures the ball to start a tale, be ready as sometimes, the genie will release the ball and it'll head SDTM. I also tend to nudge to get the ball OFF the slingshots. Get into that habit and they become less hazardous.

Also, I try to avoid starting a fireball if the lamp posts are not conducive to making a safe shot at the genie.

If you hit the outer loops, have the flipper on the side that the ball is heading for activated. Often the ball will come flying around at 10,000mph and you'll have little time to react. Be proactive, not reactive. If you have the flipper activated, most times you'll save the drain.

I'd urge you to give the table a chance, practice timing your nudges, think about the risk/reward of your lamp shots and practice flipper control. I think you'll find a faithful mistress in ToTAN, that will will give back in spades if you're willing to take the time to learn and understand the nuances.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
nicely put :) didn't have much time to write something up, besides there is a strategy guide for totan on this forum...

oh and the thing about nudging that i can't strees enough and is applicable to all pinball, is laughings quote:

"Be proactive, not reactive." ;)

edit: one more thing - if you get the multiplier to max (x12) you can get at least 10 mil a ball with all the lamp spins and genie hits

Last edited:

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
And I say it's the table that needs the most skill, patience and reflexes to get a really good high score. I judge tables "difficulty" by how easy it is to get extra balls and the wizard mode, and this one is one of the easiest (together with CV) in that regards. The lamp is the biggest risk/reward factor and makes the table really interesting if you combine it with the lightning and wishes. The genie is no drain hazard at all with proper nudging and the outlanes are protected by magnasaves.

What makes the table interesting in setting up high scoring conditions like highscoring Harem multiballs, and 3 x lighting multiballs with a lot of lampspins.

The table constantly entices you with hurrying up and making risky shots, that you really shouldnt fall for (Fireball, lighting on low spins).

Table with the most longevity together with RBION and MM for me.

e: Id rank the tables, in order of how much I get out of them, in the following order (only doing 360 tables)

1) TOTAN/RBION
3)MM
4)MB
5)TOM
6)CV
7)FH
8)BH
9)Gorgar
10) BOP

(Still have to really get into FH, and "get" it)

The outlanes are only protected by the magna saves periodicly, and don't last long. And as for getting the free balls, I have a hard time collecting them with trying to shoot that right outer lane, I seem to miss it 6 times out of seven. I already have all the wizard goals for this table , which is not hard, but it is difficult to get a high score, my score currently is 107 mil. But having said all that , I really do like this table and it keeps me coming back....hmmmm:p

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
Well, compared to bavelb and BonzoGonzo, I'm not great at this table, but ToTAN is easily my favorite table so far, and also the one that I find I have to really be on my game to play. The prospect of BIG points from many lamp spins is too hard to pass up, but you have to play smart. If the lamp posts are at 12 and 6, you should NEVER play for the lamp from the right flipper. Hitting that lower post is asking for trouble. If you find the ball on the right flipper, do a postpass to the left and aim for the back post, I found this to be a pretty good tactic.

And always, whether going for the lamp or genie, be prepared to nudge really quickly. I nudge on this table more than any other. Same goes for when the genie captures the ball to start a tale, be ready as sometimes, the genie will release the ball and it'll head SDTM. I also tend to nudge to get the ball OFF the slingshots. Get into that habit and they become less hazardous.

Also, I try to avoid starting a fireball if the lamp posts are not conducive to making a safe shot at the genie.

If you hit the outer loops, have the flipper on the side that the ball is heading for activated. Often the ball will come flying around at 10,000mph and you'll have little time to react. Be proactive, not reactive. If you have the flipper activated, most times you'll save the drain.

I'd urge you to give the table a chance, practice timing your nudges, think about the risk/reward of your lamp shots and practice flipper control. I think you'll find a faithful mistress in ToTAN, that will will give back in spades if you're willing to take the time to learn and understand the nuances.

good response, like you I am not that good at this table either. I just can't seem to hit the things I want when I want especially those outer lanes, and that is what is frustrating for me, along with those dam slingshots. But I really do like this table.

Jazza

Aug 19, 2012
I don't nudge mainly because I find it awkward on Ipad so I'll never see mega scores. With that said, once you get your aims consistent TOTAN can provide good long game play. Flipper timing is everything from the lamp or a drain from the ramp. I always choose the jewels from the wish lamp in the hope I can get to the "save princess" mode quicker.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
btw, this table was/is in bars eating up quarters ;)

You must remember, that IS the goal of real pinball machines... to make money for the owner/operators.
Any game that can get people to constantly play, while keeping games short enough to require more coins being dumped into them is EXACTLY what the manufacturer and owners both want!

The goal was never to make a game that someone could play for 30 minutes or longer. They want SHORT games. LOTS of them.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
and that is exactly why i love (old) arcade games in general...

quick bursts of intense gameplay... you know, when a single gameplay lasts 30-60 mins max... and thats only when you spend hours and hours to be that good in the first place... ;)

ie pinball, shootem ups, versus fighting games :cool:

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
You must remember, that IS the goal of real pinball machines... to make money for the owner/operators.
Any game that can get people to constantly play, while keeping games short enough to require more coins being dumped into them is EXACTLY what the manufacturer and owners both want!

The goal was never to make a game that someone could play for 30 minutes or longer. They want SHORT games. LOTS of them.

Thats right RetroDude , If I was a bar owner this would be the table I want to make money. Short ball life and the table looks fantastic - very appealing indeed.

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
and that is exactly why i love (old) arcade games in general...

quick bursts of intense gameplay... you know, when a single gameplay lasts 30-60 mins max... and thats only when you spend hours and hours to be that good in the first place... ;)

ie pinball, shootem ups, versus fighting games :cool:

me too, I love retro arcade games like PacMan , Galaga , and pinball of course !

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Thats right RetroDude , If I was a bar owner this would be the table I want to make money. Short ball life and the table looks fantastic - very appealing indeed.
To give you an idea of how voracious the real TotAN can be, the one at CP Pinball has had its replay score reflexed down to a mere 4.6M...and despite my 240M high score on the TPA version, getting that replay on the real table still presents a decent challenge.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
4.6 mil only? wow :D

when i played it here in slovenia it was usually 12(.5?)mil... only once i came across a totan, where the replay was at 7.2mil (or sth like that)... and that was in italy, a bar in lido di jesolo of all places... actually some 50 meters from our condo in lido, there was an arcade hall with video games (especially liked the deluxe version of house of the dead 2, the one in wich you actually sit inside the cabinet, hm, lemme get the pic of that)

HOUSE%20OF%20THE%20DEAD%202%20SUPER%20DELUXE_JPG.jpg

and it had 5 pins as well -> flintstones, star trek the next generation, tales from the crypt, addams family and p2k revenge from mars

ok, ill stop with the offtopic :eek:

wallyz

Sep 4, 2012
I have mixed games. Some times I'll play for 1/2 hour on one ball and then lose several balls in a minute especially down the side drains. I'm not particularly interested in big scores as opposed to long play time. I have to admit this table behaves like the real deal including the table phenomenon 'cold shoulder' when you get that eerie premonition you are about to lose the ball and then every flip is a narrow save, you continually hit rubber with no scores and the table goes quiet.

David Greene

Sep 25, 2012
This is probably the 2nd hardest table in TPA, behind CV. Ironically thoough Rescue The Princess is the only Wizard Mode I've ever completed. The secret is keeping the Shooting Stars lit. This saves the outlanes and lites Ruby which gives you 2 Jewels at the Bazaar when Make A Wish is lit.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
This is probably the 2nd hardest table in TPA, behind CV.
Not at all. RBION and MM are far more difficult. (And CV is only difficult on mobile devices because A. it's bugged, and B. it's very hard to do the appropriate nudging to outlane save without an analog stick.)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It just depends what you're talking about: completing the game or keeping the ball going.

RBION is definitely harder to complete, but TOTAN (for me anyway) is quite a bit harder in regards to drains and ball control.

David Greene

Sep 25, 2012
I mean ball control. CV's outlanes are brutal, and without savers like ToM or TOTAN. Also, despite tons of practice, I've never been able to get to the final Ringmaster before the end of a game. I don't find MM or RBION nearly as fustrating to play.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.