Reset the leader boards?

What should be done with the leaderboards?

• Leave the leaderboards as they are!

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Reset the leaderboards and start fresh.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Reset the leaderboards every time there's an update.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Split the leaderboards into individual platforms but leave the scores as is.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • These are crap ideas! I vote 'other'.

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I was checking out scores on the leaderboards and got to wondering. With updates changing the way some tables play, bugs being eliminated or new ones created, should the leaderboards be reset? What really got me wondering this is the table Black Hole. I stopped looking after the top 1500, but there was not a single PS3 score in there, it was 99% mobile and 1% OSx. Isn't that a little odd? It escapes me at the moment, but there was one other table where there was only one PS3 score in the top 100, the rest mobile scores.

Maybe the solution is to split the leaderboards among like devices. I personally like seeing other format scores, just not when they're so lopsided!

So what says you all?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Android had a hack that allowed unlimited balls on most tables, and will msot likely have more like those in the future if this one got fixed. Resetting wouldnt do much untill leaderboards are split between mobiles and consoles where it's very improbably you can hack into games (and still connect to the network) to cheat.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
20billion on BH...you know how long that would take!? I would like separate leaderboards as stated by SYT it appears the mobile devices play/d differently.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
That's from the bug that switched Black Hole's and Theatre of Magic's leaderboards.

Well then there's absolutely no question the leaderboards should be reset. Also explains a lot!

I figure resetting the boards each update would kind of be like when the arcade turns off the machines at night. In the morning, brand new scores! I know, the newer machines had a memory for scores, but still. What's wrong with having to go back and reclaim your score? Isn't that part of the fun?

It'd also maybe shut up those complaining (but just really being a douche and a bragger) that certain tables are too easy and look at the ginormous score they just got (yet amazingly hasn't posted to the boards!).

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Most times when they release an update, it makes the table easier. The only time they should reset them is if there's a known bug or hack that is seriously inflating the scores, such as the Frankenstein bug in MB, or the unlimited balls hack(s).
360 has its own leaderboard already.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Most times when they release an update, it makes the table easier. The only time they should reset them is if there's a known bug or hack that is seriously inflating the scores, such as the Frankenstein bug in MB, or the unlimited balls hack(s).
360 has its own leaderboard already.

Not all the times though, like CV outlane adjustment on iOS

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Split the leader boards by platform, you can't expect someone using an iPad or Android tablet to be competitive against those with a controller.

Danieru_X

Sep 24, 2012
I agree with updates to tables, it may make them harder/easier so it would skew the leaderboards. I say every major update it should refresh. (plus it keeps those at the top on their toes)..

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Monster Bash MOST DEFINITELY needs a reset!!
There are some completely laughable scores on that one!

I'm not even going to try and go for a high score on that until it's addressed.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
It should be on a table by table basis. With tables like Monster Bash, yes post patch it will most definitely needs a leaderboard reset. The Frankenstein glitch is completely game breaking. However tables like Arabian Nights and Medieval Madness seem to play just fine, and even if they recieve minor bug fixes, I don't think it's appropriate to reset those two for example.

What's everyone talking about mixed leaderboards? Is that a "thing" with the other platforms? I only have the Xbox 360 version (and iOS but can't access the leaderboards), and to my knowledge the leaderboard on that version is only showing Xbox 360 scores. If other platforms actually mix the scores together, yeah that's very stupid.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
What's everyone talking about mixed leaderboards? Is that a "thing" with the other platforms? I only have the Xbox 360 version (and iOS but can't access the leaderboards), and to my knowledge the leaderboard on that version is only showing Xbox 360 scores. If other platforms actually mix the scores together, yeah that's very stupid.

Yep, EVERYTHING else is lumped together.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It should be on a table by table basis. tables like Arabian Nights and Medieval Madness seem to play just fine, and even if they recieve minor bug fixes, I don't think it's appropriate to reset those two for example.

The question is, what happens when new flipper physics come in, or the gap is fixed in MM? There's been subtle changes to RBION that have made the table a little more difficult, but since it wasn't exploitable before, should the scores stand? That's why I say take out the confusion and just reset as a matter of practice each time there's an update, or once a month, or some regularly scheduled time. It's fun to chase scores, but its also kind of a bummer when a score seems so outta reach you don't even wanna bother. Regular resets would give people a glimmer of hope! It'd also show who actually has the skill to get on top of the leaderboards over and over, and who merely had a lucky game.

As for the multiple platform leaderboards, yes, PS3 shows ours, mobile, and Mac on the same board. Beside the score it'll say (mobile) or (Mac), so you can tell the difference. I actually kinda like it, shows how other platforms are scoring. I've got my friends list that I can bring up for scores too, and those are only PS3, and that's the leaderboard I really only care about topping, but I like seeing everything else too. I'm probably way in the minority on that though.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
The question is, what happens when new flipper physics come in, or the gap is fixed in MM? There's been subtle changes to RBION that have made the table a little more difficult, but since it wasn't exploitable before, should the scores stand? That's why I say take out the confusion and just reset as a matter of practice each time there's an update, or once a month, or some regularly scheduled time. It's fun to chase scores, but its also kind of a bummer when a score seems so outta reach you don't even wanna bother. Regular resets would give people a glimmer of hope! It'd also show who actually has the skill to get on top of the leaderboards over and over, and who merely had a lucky game.

As for the multiple platform leaderboards, yes, PS3 shows ours, mobile, and Mac on the same board. Beside the score it'll say (mobile) or (Mac), so you can tell the difference. I actually kinda like it, shows how other platforms are scoring. I've got my friends list that I can bring up for scores too, and those are only PS3, and that's the leaderboard I really only care about topping, but I like seeing everything else too. I'm probably way in the minority on that though.

There's a gap in MM? Lol, I had no idea, I just got done playing it and came here to post up my newest score to my sig. An improvement over my old score by over 300 million. Phew, what an endurance that game is!

Are they working on new flipper physics? Didn't know that.

You can't get to the top of the leaderboards with a "lucky game". Scores like that take HOURS to achieve. I'm friends with one of the top players on Xbox Live. We both think that a tournament mode or tournament leaderboard is a better idea. 3 balls. No extras. That's how tournaments are played, and all modern machines have tournament settings built it.

Personally I don't care about the top of the leaderboards. I'm very happy with my scores, I'm much more into chasing my friends list (minus my friend who's like top 5 on every table). Score chasing is fun! But not everyone is cut out for the top heap. Score chase with people who are on a similar skill level, or just score chase your own scores.

Some guys can play perfectly for 3 or 4 ours in one sitting, but I get worn out and make a lot of mistakes, it's just something I could never do, but I respect those guys who do that's there thing, I'm happy just putting up my best game, score chasing within my skill range, and having fun.

Plus, like I said, even if they did reset all leaderboards, it's not going to change anything. The same guys will put up the same scores, your skills only diminish if you stop playing.

Ruz-El

Sep 6, 2012
Reset everytime there's an update. Each table seems to play different after each update, so change those boards!

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
What about pimping the front end and making it possible to filter the leaderboards by time period, platform or even game version and maybe some other variables? No need for resets (apart from hickups like the Franky bug on MB), the people who are in front now would be happy as would everybody else...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
What about pimping the front end and making it possible to filter the leaderboards by time period, platform or even game version and maybe some other variables? No need for resets (apart from hickups like the Franky bug on MB), the people who are in front now would be happy as would everybody else...

I like it! While they're at it, throw in all those other stats like what Zen does.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Fact is, if someone is top of the board, then they can be top of the board once the resets are done.

Unless of course, it was a fluke.

dontworrybehap

Sep 3, 2012
The guy at the very top of the heap is the only one who doesn't want things reset. Everyone below him is probably OK with the idea, especially if the top score was the result of a crazy-ass monster game. Pinball is a game where you're lucky to be good and good to be lucky. And super high scores do require some luck. You have to go on a roll, ride out the cold spells and will the ball not to drain. My attitude, sure reset if u want, if I did it once I can do it again.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
If a reset does occur it better be after all of the game ending bugs are fixed. At this point, there is no reason to play for the highscores on several tables (especially on the Vita) since more often than not you will run into a game ending bug when doing a real highscore run that sometimes lasts several hours.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts