Request Sounds

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I've been playing TZ and Flintstones on visual pinball this evening and one thing I notice is how much nicer everything sounds, the bumpers, flippers and kickers all have a nice treble mechanical sound going on.

Where have the samples in TPA come from? Are a lot recycled from PHoF?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I feel the flipper and the ball rolling and clacking need to be turned way up. They need to put some microphones inside the table the sound is important to the whole experience,although I often listen to something other than the game,but when I do I crank it! So maybe a sound slider for flippers and ball noise oh and ambient pinball sounds from TPA machines also with a slider.

SuperGrafx

Aug 26, 2012
Agreed on all counts.
After playing the real tables of Medeival Madness and Funhouse over the weekend, there's obviously much room for improvment in terms of the sounds in TPA

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
So maybe a sound slider for flippers and ball noise oh and ambient pinball sounds from TPA machines also with a slider.
Definitely volume controls, please. On some tables I want the audio samples and music to somewhat drown out the mechanical noises (usually the tables with great sound packages that I can't hear in the arcade because of the other machines next to them).

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Need pinball machines with louder sound systems than DDR:) The kids would freak! When they see me holding onto the machine facing forward and still moving my feet like im perfecting some super tokyo pop mashup! Restless leg syndrome? Dont want to DRAIN SYNDROME!

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I absolutely agree. Just like the engine sound, the rubble hitting the metal and the tires squealing in racing games, the mechanical sounds in pinball are a bit part of the overall satisfaction for me.

I mean, wouldn't just recording a handful of samples for each element with a good mic suffice? The samples in TPA sound so muffled, weak and dull, like something from a hollow plastic toy, not something powered by strong solenoids, and they seem pretty low in bitrate and khz as well.

Sound effects in general seems to be a part of videogames that's rarely talked about, which is a shame.

Last edited:

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Maybe Farsight doesn't have a specialized sound guy on their team? The non-ROM sounds in TPA all sound pretty generic, the good old button jingle or the pinball selection "whoosh" for instance. I mean, they're not a big team, and the mechanical sound are pretty much only real bits of audio necessary in the game, with the rest all coming from the machines themselves.

Hopefully they're get to it once the company grows and can afford doing some real mechanical audio sampling, which probably is a lot more work than I assume it is.

Aside from the flippers, the bumpers are probably the worst, though. On Creature they sound really weak, like someone tapping an empty plastic container with his fingernail. A lot of games add their own samples on top of it, so it usually doesn't really stand out.

Last edited:

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Definitely volume controls, please. On some tables I want the audio samples and music to somewhat drown out the mechanical noises (usually the tables with great sound packages that I can't hear in the arcade because of the other machines next to them).

I once got the chance to play the Stern Spiderman at a local cinema, and the sound was completely off. It reminded me that pinball without the sound somehow isn't really fun to me, I just need that audio feedback.

The TAF I found during a vacation in Holland, though, was in a perfect environment - at a vacation park during closing time, with almost noone around. Man, that SHOWTIME... felt like the whole machine was going to explode between my hands!

Last edited:

starck

Jun 7, 2012
TBH, even a lot of the ROM sounds seem off (but I am really picky about this stuff). I feel like the sound emulation in general could use some work. The treble just isn't there. Overall it just isn't as clear as the rom sound samples I can listen to online, from, say, MM (or from watching a HD video of someone playing a real table, hearing one in real life, etc.). I'd really like to see some improvements made on these...after all, pinball is BOTH an auditory and visual experience combined. Farsight has made such beautiful-looking reproductions of these tables...and they deserve better quality sound.

The mechanical sounds seem to be improving...though, as others have said, volume controls are also needed for mechanical vs. game SFX.

Also, for example- at least on iOS, the default lowest volume setting is actually pretty high when I've got headphones in, and a volume slider would help with this too.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
This one's been talked about a lot. Originally, Farsight said they were overhauling the mechanical sounds and would be out in the June updates. Well, June came and went and I'm sure the amount of bug fixing has put other things like this on the back burner. I, for one, really believe the mechanical sounds need more punch to them. This is especially true with older titles that don't have much in the way of back ground sound effects where the mechanical noises are more prominent. I hope to see the mechanical sounds improved in the near future.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.