OMG!!! This Is the Most Realistic Lighting on a PInball Sim Ever!!. TPA Need this

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
That beautiful chrome and plastic made me drool a little... as well as the lighting of course.

drool-for-sale.jpg

Last edited:

trachea

Aug 17, 2012
Looks very cool, but remember that this is just a pre-rendered scene. Making this a reality is probably quite a ways off.

Edit: Oh, I guess they're going to use this technique during actual gameplay. Cool! I'd like to see how it looks in motion... ball shadows maybe?

Last edited:

David Smith

Feb 28, 2012
Yes, all of the Pro Pinball games use pre-rendered graphics (and yes, ball shadows are included). Personally, I think awesome lighting effects like this more than make up for the lack of dynamic zoom. (They always include a nice slideshow feature as well, so you can inspect the table up close, in all its HD prerendered beauty.)

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
The Kickstarter goes live in less than two days. Remember, they have Pat Lawlor and John Youssi creating a completely new table for Pro Pinball. They pay them for a full year of professional work, that's likely the reason why the goal is quite hefty.

http://www.pro-pinball.com/

I'm really stunned by how incredibly cool this tech demo looks, and I asked them on their Facebook page to please release this demo in the app store in order to get more people hyped for this project. They said they will definitely consider it. They are open for feedback on their Facebook page, and I'm very excited to see their promo video.

As for TPA: We've heard they are already considering sliders as these as well, but keep in mind that TPA has polygonal models, while Pro Pinball has a fixed view, due to being prerendered. TPA on the consoles looks already very good, but the iPad version will certainly never look as good as this, not for probably the iPad 5 or so, depending on how quickly mobile graphic chips develop. (In any case, I really look forward to put the lights out in my virtual arcade and let these machines light up like christmas trees :))

Prerendered vs polygonal both have their pros and cons, and actually, pinball is one of those very few genres where prerendering still makes sense. It certainly is a nice way to get around the limitations of mobile device technology.

(sorry if this is off topic, but I think this project deserves more attention - this is about the first Lawlor game since 2008, and this time without any tacky license or physical manufacturing costs attached, and John Youssi is an absolute playfield / backglass legend!)

Last edited:

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
This doesn't have anything to do with The Pinball Arcade, so I'm moving this thread to "Other Pinball Games." I'm also locking it since we already have discussion about Pro Pinball in two different threads and don't really need another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.