TPA Tutorial Videos?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I thought it would cool if someone (or multiple people) took the time to make some TPA tutorial videos. They could range from general pinball skills (seems like a lot of folks need help with nudging, for example) to table reviews, or more detailed strategy guides for specific tables (I know there are PAPA guides for a lot of tables, but not every single table...and besides, it's always cool to get other personal strategies and angles...and having something created by the actual TPA community would be more unique/special for us).

Is this something that anyone would be interested in making? I'd make some, but I'm not that great of a player and don't have the extra time to do it right now...

Anyway, just wanted to throw the idea out there in case anyone wants to run with it.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Now we're talking! Great Idea!

Being able to show my flow with Ripley's would certainly be alot easier than explaining it through the limited browser provided by the PS3.

That's the only problem, I only have a PS3 to work with. I'm open to suggestions.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Yes! Great idea. As much as I love Bowen Kerins, the tutorials are sometimes not very in-depth. The RBION video on the PAPA site is quite good, but TPA-specific videos would be fantastic.

...which, of course, is easy for me to say, being unskilled enough to not even having to consider doing such videos ;)

Last edited:

ridcully

Jun 5, 2012
I like the idea too. However, I don't think it is very easy to record high quality Videos from The Pinball Arcade. On the Mac it might be possible to use a screen capture software, but capturing from the iOS, or XBox/PS3 seems to be a lot more complicated...

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
SQUID I had the same problem and usually am posting from PS3 enless I need to add photos, I have made videos on PS3 with the video uploader wich you can edit and add texts.

SuperGrafx

Aug 26, 2012
I agree with all the statements above.
I would love to see tutorial vids for each table. I personally find myself plateauing with regards to skill an score.
Seeing some well made videos would likely help me find the flaws in my technique and help me get to the next level on fave games like Funhouse and Medeival Madness.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I just seen a new device that intercepts your signal from your console then sends the info through USB to a PC and anothe component/HDMI conect to the TV. The video that is saved is easily editited from the same program that comes with the device. Ill try to find it so I can post it for you guys but i recall it was like $149 comming out later this month, its records in full 1080p.
here it is.https://www.roxio.com/enu/products/game-capture/console/overview.html

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
My Rebel T3i records 1080p at 30fps or 720p at 60 fps. I've got an external microphone and a tripod. I've written a couple tactics and strat guides and while I'm no superstar, i usually hover in the top 200 on whatever table i really work on. Editing and uploading will take me forever and a day and I'm not the most enthusiastic speaker on camera. I'll see what I can put together for ToM if i still "got it". Can't wait to show my flow for CFTBL.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Maybe we can work out a pre-script to follow for a tutorial so your not verbalily flailing? I wish there was a way to help with Vocals, I can do a number of voices and ranges high/low accents.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm sure I can make myself seem a bit more pepped if I put the effort into it.

I guess the routine would be to take stock video of various shots and put them in the right order.
My video quality would be like the vid i link to in the flipper bug thread, only not zoomed in on the flippers.

I actually think I have a few ideas forming. Now i just have to get the GF to co-operate. I even have a youtube channel name that's been begging for use for quite some time now. SilverballAddiction

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
I just seen a new device that intercepts your signal from your console then sends the info through USB to a PC and anothe component/HDMI conect to the TV. The video that is saved is easily editited from the same program that comes with the device. Ill try to find it so I can post it for you guys but i recall it was like $149 comming out later this month, its records in full 1080p.
here it is.https://www.roxio.com/enu/products/game-capture/console/overview.html

Thanks for the link! Been looking for something like that for ages..

squidburns

Sep 10, 2012
I too have had this idea in the back of my head for awhile. Unfortunately my time is limited at the moment, and I would need to get some things off my plate before being able to work with video again. I have worked with video in the past, and I know how much time it takes to get things done. If I did have time, and got all my hardware in order, I would definitely be down on making Pinball videos.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
On the TF300T, you have a HDMI port that allows you to output to a landscape screen.

I wonder if using a computer to record the HDMI output as input would work?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I dont know what the USB from the signal tapper hooks up to but suppose if it was an HDMI input and you had the software its theoretically possible as its just acting as a DVR for a signal.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts