Marvel Pinball - Favorite Table?

KingMixer

Mar 13, 2012
Not including Zen, what's your favorite Marvel table?

For me, the VV set was much stronger than the original Marvel tables, so my top pick is Ghost Rider. I just have a lot of fun playing it. Thor would be my #2.

Thoughts?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm absolutely hooked on Iron Man. I finally, finally, got to Ultimo, only to lose all my balls within moments without ever figuring out exactly what I'm supposed to be doing to defeat him. I also like Moon Knight a lot. I didn't at first, cause I couldn't figure out what needed to be done, but now I find it a blast. I've yet to download Cap America and Fantastic 4, was hoping they'd go on sale again (cuz I missed out on that by a mere day :(

Spider Man is probably my least favorite, and Blade is the table I most wish I could get the hang of but it just continually beats me down.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
I stopped buying Zen's tables so I do not know what the latest batch of Marvel tables are like but in my opinion Blade was the best of the first batch.

PinMike8666

Feb 20, 2012
Out of the two main packs, I vastly prefer Vengeance & Virtue, due to Moon Knight and Thor; the other two tables are good as well. The first pack is good, but the second pack just takes it to a new level.

Thoughts on the upcoming Avengers Chronicles pack?

I hope it's as good as the recent pack; it looks promising.

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
I stopped buying these because of the lack of instructions, ridiculous ball physics, (lead ball?) and for me, unattainable goals. Blade and then wolverine were my favourites.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I stopped buying these because of the lack of instructions, ridiculous ball physics, (lead ball?) and for me, unattainable goals. Blade and then wolverine were my favourites.

As far as the Marvel tables are concerned, the instructions are all on their website. The fact that you need to actually look up the instructions for a table rather than it be somewhat obvious/intuitive IS a ding against all the Zen tables. There's rules and such I have had to look up for Williams tables too, but mainly for deep rule sets.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I only bought the first Marvel pack, but I definitely put the most time into Wolverine. Haven't played Zen's stuff for awhile though.

KingMixer

Mar 13, 2012
As far as the Marvel tables are concerned, the instructions are all on their website. The fact that you need to actually look up the instructions for a table rather than it be somewhat obvious/intuitive IS a ding against all the Zen tables. There's rules and such I have had to look up for Williams tables too, but mainly for deep rule sets.

Yeah, but you shouldn't have to go to a website to research game rules. They should be clearly explained. On real tables, there was an instruction card with everything you need to do spelled out. And even without the card, the game should guide you through with flashing lights, audio cues, etc. The original Zen tables had none of this. The Marvel tables, I'll admit, are a little better at telling you what to do. But it really shouldn't be a mystery, not something you have to find for yourself like a video game. Pinball, after all, is a game of "skill," isn't it? Guessing the rules should be the skill.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
Yeah, but you shouldn't have to go to a website to research game rules. They should be clearly explained. On real tables, there was an instruction card with everything you need to do spelled out. And even without the card, the game should guide you through with flashing lights, audio cues, etc. The original Zen tables had none of this. The Marvel tables, I'll admit, are a little better at telling you what to do. But it really shouldn't be a mystery, not something you have to find for yourself like a video game. Pinball, after all, is a game of "skill," isn't it? Guessing the rules should be the skill.

you meant "shouldn't be the skill" at the end right? but yeah, my thoughts and sentiments on Zen Pinball exactly!!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

I think I said as much in my post, but I absolutely agree. They've got a lot to learn about what info should be gotten from the lights on the table itself, and what the DMD should tell you.

KingMixer

Mar 13, 2012
I think I said as much in my post, but I absolutely agree. They've got a lot to learn about what info should be gotten from the lights on the table itself, and what the DMD should tell you.

Yup, I admit it didn't really sound like it, but I was agreeing with you. :)

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Favorite Marvel Table? Would have to be Fantastic 4 Followed by Thor, Moonlight, and Captain America. Those are the tables I play the most. Iron Man was fav when Marvel pinball was first released. The others didn't really grab me. Blade I steered clear as I couldn't figure it out. Still can't even after all the guides out there.

The table I'm looking forward to are infinity gauntlet and Avengers. Avengers how there will be balls with characteristics of the heroes.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Well with the new avengers pack now out for a while now there doesn't seem to be any responses to this thread since March. I would have to say the Fear Itself is now officially my favorite Marvel by a land slide. Love the layout and the use of the magnetic system as well. The missions are doable and challenging at the same time. Multiballs are extremely fun and creative too.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I like Avengers because of the different balls and the strategy that entails. It's a lot like Stern's AC/DC, which has a similar dynamic.
Fear Itself is pretty awesome too, and I love the fast ramp action of World War Hulk. The problem with that latter table is that it takes 6 hits on the target to start a mission, and they reset after each ball. Of course, you have to hit a ramp 15 times in Fear just to get multiball. Infinity Gauntlet is extremely frustrating, as I've not been able to collect a single gem yet.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Considering no TPA dlc this week that I had set aside some points for, I got Avengers after all.

Liking Hulk and Avengers now that I start to get a grasp on what does what, but need to get the ruleset better for the other 2 (which both seem to be more complex and therefor interesting to me).

Just went from playing Avengers to playing Theatre of Magic to clear some goals on the 360 for it ....and just noticed how the table layouts and gameplay mechanics are quite similar (with loki lights taking the place of the trunk). Not to the degree of Buccaneer (TAF) or Agents (STTNG), but certainly seems inspired (a good thing imo).

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
The whole Avengers pack is a step up from what Zen has done with completely off the wall table designs. All the tables after the core Marvel table pack are wonderful though there are some tables that are lackluster to me.

Favorite Marvel tables.

1. Fear Itself
2. Thor
3. Avengers
4. X-Men
5. Fantastic 4
6. Moon Knight
7. Captain America
8. World War Hulk
9. Infinity Gauntlet
10. Iron Man
11. Blade
12. Spiderman
13. Wolverine
14. Ghost Rider

Hmmm I guess I like the Thor Lore. Both FI and Thor are my top 2 tables.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The whole Avengers pack is a step up from what Zen has done with completely off the wall table designs. All the tables after the core Marvel table pack are wonderful though there are some tables that are lackluster to me.

Favorite Marvel tables.

1. Fear Itself
2. Thor
3. Avengers
4. X-Men
5. Fantastic 4
6. Moon Knight
7. Captain America
8. World War Hulk
9. Infinity Gauntlet
10. Iron Man
11. Blade
12. Spiderman
13. Wolverine
14. Ghost Rider

Hmmm I guess I like the Thor Lore. Both FI and Thor are my top 2 tables.

It interesting how many people like the Thor table, and I just can't get into it. I love the Iron Man table, and Moon Knight took a while but has grown into one of my favorites. Wolverine I so desperately want to like, but the fact that I can't hit the center ramp with anything close to consistency spoils it for me.

Haven't played any of the Marvel tables in a while cause I got the initial pack for free while I was using Playstation +, but I let that lapse and haven't forked over the money to own it again. Silly, since I did buy the 4 pack. Then I need to buy the Avengers pack and Cap Amer and Fan 4. Or I could just keep playing TPA!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.