PSA: Excessive TPA can wear out your controller

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
The triggers on my 360 controller don't feel right - one of them is actually cracked, and, while it is very rare, they have been known to malfunction (most commonly the flipper stays up when I release it). I don't think the triggers were designed to be pressed as rapidly, or as many times in a row, as a typical game of TPA. I'd recommend using the bumpers if you want to save your controller's triggers.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
Bumpers = shoulder buttons, right ? if so, I only use those too. I have a Razor controller and the triggers are uncomfortable for me to use.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Just an FYI...you're not going to be able to take advantage of the 2-stage flippers if you use the bumpers exclusively.
I'll use triggers for those tables, bumpers for all else. I wish FS would allow us to use both interchangeably on tables that don't use Magnasaves or other secondary buttons, like Zen does.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I find pressing L1/R1 closer to the charge point of the controller results in faster action from the top flipper as if its not 2stage analog but pressing L1/R1 on the outer corner gives more precise 2stage control, I'm not sure if I like it.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I think even my bumpers are starting to run out :/ I have an idea for a mod that uses some kind of capacitive touch-pad on each side, but I'm not sure where I'd place the touchy bit (possibly on the side, just next to the B and the left joystick so it somewhat emulates a pinball table). If my pad becomes even more cactus, I'll definitely do it.

Just an FYI...you're not going to be able to take advantage of the 2-stage flippers if you use the bumpers exclusively.

I've never heard of these... what tables are they on IRL? Any in TPA?

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I've also switched to using the bumpers as the performance from the triggers has reached the point of no longer being good enough. Might have to revisit the situation when the two-stage controls are live.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
The two-stage flippers and trigger travel length are closer to how an actual machine's flipper buttons feel anyway. Pinballs never had clicky microswitch buttons. Looking forward to that update. :)

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
Playing with triggers and have no problems at all. I don't like to play with the bumpers cause sometimes the don't register if they are pressed not hard enough.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Yes, Funhouse and RBION.

They added this in the PS3 update today (before it was pulled):
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/1841-2-Stage-Flippers

I completely missed that as well. I knew that Whirlwind has two-stage flippers (that didn´t work on PHOF), but had no idea about RBION and Funhouse.

What a gamechanger! No more spilling your nicely trapped ball during an upper flipper shot. I think I´ll just stop playing Whirlwind completely and wait for the TPA version now.

Also, I kinda wish Farsight would also add d-pad/facebuttons for flippers as well. I know most people will prefer the shoulder buttons, but I find it to be a bit tiring for longer play, and it feels a bit RSI-inducing to me, I much prefer dpad and buttons on games like Metroid Prime Pinball.

I mean, it´s not like shoulder buttons are more "realistic" anyway. On a real machine, you´re using your whole hands (and arms) for flipping, I never liked the feeling of the "guntrigger" motion in my hands, I find that using my thumbs for flipping feels much more ergonomical, and as I´m getting older I tend to care more and more about the health of my hands.

Last edited:

pinbot-76

Jul 11, 2012
I use triggers on xbox and bumpers on PS3. Might be time for you to buy a new controller. I've always thought it would be awesome if someone mass produced a nice controller specifically for console pinball, maybe somewhere in the $150 range... hardest part would be nudging. Ideally I'd like to see 2 buttons on each side and some sort of mini-joystick near the trigger for nudging.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I use triggers on xbox and bumpers on PS3. Might be time for you to buy a new controller. I've always thought it would be awesome if someone mass produced a nice controller specifically for console pinball, maybe somewhere in the $150 range... hardest part would be nudging. Ideally I'd like to see 2 buttons on each side and some sort of mini-joystick near the trigger for nudging.

Registering nudging would be a breeze but being precise with analog nudging would be the challenge. Over at VPForums there are a lot of DIY solutions frequently discussed, if it can be done effectively DIY then there's no excuse for a commercial release to be sloppy.

On the other hand...those with PS3 and Move have a great system already in place for that. The move system is extremely accurate and responsive.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
Isn't this true for any kind of game that makes heavy use of the triggers? (Which would be a good portion of games no less)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts