New XBOX (XBox One)

N

Nik Barbour

Keep hearing news threads today (whilst streaming at various sites) about rumoured delays with the new xbox AMD 'OBAN' processor chips. Found it on this webpage also...
http://www.product-reviews.net/2012/09/10/xbox-720-release-doubts-after-new-insights/

Apparently, really poor quality output of the processors, is rumoured to have pushed a supposed release date from late 2013, back to spring 2014.

Saw on another TPA thread, http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...nsoles-on-the-horizon-where-does-that-put-TPA a few people were speculating on what & when would be released, and thought you guys might appreciate a read.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
This is good news. That means the 360 will continue to be supported even longer. I've no interest in buying a new console anytime soon, and if the DRM/license rumors turn out to be true, I'll sit this console generation out entirely. I also doubt the new release date. Unless Sony forces their hand, I find it highly unlikely they would release a high-profile non-portable console in the Spring.

Delay would also be a smart move for MS. The last thing they want is more complaints about faulty hardware.

Last edited:

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
I am loathe to buy another new console if it has bluray as a disc medium. It's about time games came on memory sticks or something similar and dl. I really hope they don't go blu.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I've been wondering for a while what format they would go for, DVD isn't big enough any more, Bluray is the rivals format and the world isn't ready for download only just yet.

Ozzpot

May 5, 2012
I've been wondering for a while what format they would go for, DVD isn't big enough any more, Bluray is the rivals format and the world isn't ready for download only just yet.
I think it's going to have to be Blu-ray. I know Sony will make MS pay through the nose for it, but it's the only viable option.

DVDs certainly aren't big enough. With every game of the next gen being 1080p, they're going to have to have higher quality textures than we have now and already some games are on 3 discs. I think we'd see every game on 3-5 DVDs if that were the format and thats ridiculous.

And your'e right the world isn't ready for download only. Firstly not everyone is able to get their Xbox online, as shocking as that is in 2012. And even for those that are online, it's not ideal. With games being around 15-20gb (for aforementioned reasons) it's going to take a very good fibre optic connection to download a game in anything like a reasonable amount of time. I have the best connection of all my friends, but it would still take me 4 hours to download a 20gb game. Not only that, but the hard drive space is going to have to be very accommodating. I already have a problem managing hard drive space as I want to install all of the games I am currently playing or intend to go back to. With no choice but to have every game taking up space, it's going to take at least a 2tb hard drive to be reasonable.

So I can't see what the alternative is. SD cards? Still too expensive I think. MS are just going to have to go with Sony's Blu-ray this time around.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Blu Ray is confirmed. There's Blu Ray drive on both Durango Alpha Dev kits that have "leaked". You can find an active thread on it right now at NeoGAF forum.

I don't see why that's bad. They are relatively cheap nowadays, what did you expect it to have? Expensive SS memory cards for games? All Digital? DVD's (lol). We are still a long ways from all digital consoles. And do you really want to be downloading 25 gigabyte games? I don't, my speed isn't that fast. And what about people with capped internet? Even PC which is mostly Steam/digital still prints disks for store purchase for big games.

As for the console slipping into 2014. Yes, that story is true of bad fabrication problems, but I think at worst you will see a USA/UK only launch in the fall, with the rest of the world pushed back till early 2014. That's worst case scenario, I've been following XBox 3 development for quite some time.

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Blu ray on an Xbox.. Well well, whatever next. Agree with the above, this is going to cost. Not as though Microsoft is poor though and Sony do need the cash....

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
This is good news. That means the 360 will continue to be supported even longer. I've no interest in buying a new console anytime soon, and if the DRM/license rumors turn out to be true, I'll sit this console generation out. I also doubt the new release date. Unless Sony forces their hand, I find it highly unlikely they would release a high-profile non-portable console in the Spring.

Delay would also be a smart move for MS. The last thing they want is more complaints about faulty hardware.

How long have you owned an Xbox 360? I've had one since 2005. To say that a new console is long overdue is understatement of the year.

I understand most gamers didn't get the machine till 07, 08, or later, but the box is super dated at this point and many of us have been ready to move on for quite some time.

And do not worry, 360 is going to be supported well into the next generation. Huge install base, and the Wii U are the reasons.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Blu ray drives and players have been inexpensive for years. By late 2013 the cost will be negligable for consoles, especially since all 3 big manufacturers will be using them.

I forsee 399/499 for a base and pro model of the next gen Xbox. Any less than that, and you're talking about having gimped hardware in the box (ala Wii U) to cut costs. No thank you. Give a powerful machine for enthusiasts then let the masses wait till it's 299 or lower. Basically follow Xbox 360 strategy:)

N

Nik Barbour

Hey Mark - Thanks for all the info!
Any chance of you posting stuff up, as it develops, as you follow it closely already?
Maybe start an xbox development news thread.

Ozzpot

May 5, 2012
Blu ray drives and players have been inexpensive for years. By late 2013 the cost will be negligable for consoles, especially since all 3 big manufacturers will be using them.

I forsee 399/499 for a base and pro model of the next gen Xbox. Any less than that, and you're talking about having gimped hardware in the box (ala Wii U) to cut costs. No thank you. Give a powerful machine for enthusiasts then let the masses wait till it's 299 or lower. Basically follow Xbox 360 strategy:)
I had thought that the format was owned and licensed by Sony, which was why it was a matter for concern for me and perhaps others. Having read up on it though, it appears to be some kind of consortium, of which Sony is just a member, that manages licensing, so I guess there's no problem.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks Nick . I think this thread is fine for that. Thanks man though I think I need to chill I tend to post a tad too much sometimes lol

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
The official name (as of right now) is Xbox 8 (to coincide with Windows 8), not 720.

That's why I put 720 in parenthesis.

It probably won't be called Xbox 8 either. Most recent rumors suggest it will be called simply "Xbox". MS is pretty good at keeping that kinda stuff under wraps. Kinect was still known as Natal up until days before the official announcement.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
The New Xbox Will Probably Arrive This E3

It seems that everything is aligning for the launch of the next generation Xbox at E3 2013. We knew that the rumors are piling on. Then someone told us that the Xbox buildings at Microsoft's campus are on lock down. And now we know that Xboxmeister Major Nelson is very excited about E3.

So excited, in fact, that he just posted a countdown on his blog. "And it's on..." he says. Just 159 days left.

Indeed, it seems they are ramping up for a major launch. I doubt these signs have any other explanation but a next generation console. One that is designed to be a lot more than just a game console, finally completing the Xbox evolution, and which will be completely merged with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

http://gizmodo.com/5972608/the-new-xbox-will-probably-arrive-this-e3

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
In no rush to replace the XBOX. It's impressive what they have squeezed out of it, you only have to look at Halo 3 vs Halo 4. I don't see anything wrong with the current setup. If I look at current generation PC hardware, then sure the graphics are better, but it's still the same old games and tired formats. People get obsessed about the graphics, but it's playability that matters. We need something revolutionary to happen hardware wise, not just better graphics.

Based on the lack of support for media center now, I think the next Xbox will be geared more as a home entertainment hub, catering for TV, movies.....etc

Only thing I want a new Xbox for is to play Half Life 4 :) Valve have always said they were waiting for new hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.