WOW... Is Cirqus Voltaire this hard on the real thing?

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I waited a long time to get into this game. (was waiting for trophies) and now
I find my games last nowhere as long as the other 10 tables.

The right outlane seems to be the main culprit here. I have trouble seeing if it's headed towards disaster with the neon tube in the way so it's hard to judge a nudge.

The flipper gap seems rather large to me too. About the same as MM.

I was just wondering if they made changes with 2.01 resulting in a more difficult table.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
YES. And, I for one find the basic table design pretty flawed, and the table to be WAAAAAAAAYYY too highly rated on pinside and IPDB. It belongs down in the low 20's to high 40's, IMO. It can be fun from time to time, and it has a distinctive look, but most games on it are a hose-job. And I don't shy away from tables with hard shots, but the outlanes, menagerie ball, and the way the (pin)ball is designed to always return to the flipper ends make for too many drains on shots you didn't even miss.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
YES. And, I for one find the basic table design pretty flawed, and the table to be WAAAAAAAAYYY too highly rated on pinside and IPDB. It belongs down in the low 20's to high 40's, IMO. It can be fun from time to time, and it has a distinctive look, but most games on it are a hose-job. And I don't shy away from tables with hard shots, but the outlanes, menagerie ball, and the way the (pin)ball is designed to always return to the flipper ends make for too many drains on shots you didn't even miss.

Have you played the real thing?

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I do actually enjoy the table, but it seems a bit "off" to me or something.
The ball just goes to the outlanes like they are magnetized! And I Need to know when to nudge better.
The neon does make it a tad hard to see the out lane.

I'll keep at it though

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Does the real table make you try and play multiball while staring at the plunger with no flippers working? :D

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
The ball just goes to the outlanes like they are magnetized!

YES ! Both outlanes give me s***fits. The left one with that ball, I can't judge, and the right one with that bumper doing turbo drains, the table feels like a slog from beginning to end. I've NEVER nudged so much in my life. I try to always either a) have my ball on my flipper, or b) have the ball heading for my flipper. If the ball is out and about on the playfield, I feel like a drain is imminent, more so than any other table..

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
CV plays alot different with 2.02 the out lanes are safer but all the bumpers are bouncier, but prior to 2.02 that right outlane swallowed all 5 balls I played 1 game.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The iOS version is severely out of whack at the moment, I wouldn't judge the table based solely on iOS play. The 360 version is nearly perfect (and no, it doesn't make you play multiball with dead flippers and your nose on the plunger).

For those having difficulty with the table being a drain monster, you want to remember to keep the ball out of the inlane/outlane areas entirely, and you do this by minimizing side-to-side motion. Cirqus Voltaire, more than any other table currently on TPA (with the possible exception of TOTAN), punishes excess horizontal movement. This means proactive nudging to keep balls off those slingshots.

If you do end up with a ball heading for the gutters, you want to nudge hard diagonally toward the center in an attempt to pop the ball back over the sling. If that fails or the ball is coming in from above, use a light nudge to get the ball in the inlane. A hard nudge will bounce the ball off the side of the sling and send it right down the outlane.

For more extensive advice, consult the thread here: CV Tactics and Strategies.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
hm, never had a stuck ball on cv on my 360...

as for the difficulty no the rl table is not easier than 360 tpa version, its the other way round

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I actually find it pretty easy. The only bug I've ever encountered is the ball off the table. That one is pretty well handled though.

Björn Wessman

Sep 4, 2012
It's funny; what you all write about circus is exactly how i experience arabian nights - extremely difficult and a billion bugs. I always get decent scores and play times on circus.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I've been revisting the original 4 the last little bit and I'm actually happy to say that I'm totally and finally digging RBIoN. Took me long enough

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It's funny; what you all write about circus is exactly how i experience arabian nights - extremely difficult and a billion bugs. I always get decent scores and play times on circus.

What bugs are you seeing on TOTAN? I agree with LL; it's way smoother than CV.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
The iOS version is severely out of whack at the moment, I wouldn't judge the table based solely on iOS play. The 360 version is nearly perfect (and no, it doesn't make you play multiball with dead flippers and your nose on the plunger).

For those having difficulty with the table being a drain monster, you want to remember to keep the ball out of the inlane/outlane areas entirely, and you do this by minimizing side-to-side motion. Cirqus Voltaire, more than any other table currently on TPA (with the possible exception of TOTAN), punishes excess horizontal movement. This means proactive nudging to keep balls off those slingshots.

If you do end up with a ball heading for the gutters, you want to nudge hard diagonally toward the center in an attempt to pop the ball back over the sling. If that fails or the ball is coming in from above, use a light nudge to get the ball in the inlane. A hard nudge will bounce the ball off the side of the sling and send it right down the outlane.

For more extensive advice, consult the thread here: CV Tactics and Strategies.

I'm not basing anything on the iOS version as I posted this in the PS3 forum. ;)

Thanks for the tips though man, I'll give them a try.

So 2.02 is going to fix the right lane ball drains?
(sorry, on a small iPod screen so multi qoutes is a pain.)

Björn Wessman

Sep 4, 2012
What bugs are you seeing on TOTAN? I agree with LL; it's way smoother than CV.

On iOS, the ball gets stuck/disappears behind the magic lamp. Calling operator doesn't help. Even after tilt, the game is "stuck" and won't continue.

With that said, I did play some cirkus on my iPad yesterday and had a really strange experience. When highwire multiball was supposed to start, the balls weren't released. They were after a while, but without the actual multiball mode. After that the entire game was out of sync. Multiball started every now and then with no or few balls locked. I got a pretty decent score though ;)

I also gotta add that while I haven't played cirkus voltaire on a real table, it feels like at least in TPA the playfield has a much lower angle than other tables, considering the ball movement.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts