Opinions on DLC pack #1 vs pack #2

Matt

Sep 13, 2012
I've already picked up pack 3 (Gorgar & Monster Bash) but am stuck on deciding between 1 and 2. I like both MM and Funhouse, but not the tables that they come bundled with.

I've never played CV or BoP in real life so I gave them a fair shake on Visual Pinball, but can't say that I am really impressed with the game play of either. Will either of these tables grow on me with more play? Are one of these tables buggier than the other on Xbox 360?

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Personally, Bride of Pinbot is one of my favorite tables out of all that is released for 360 so far, CV is cool too though. If I were you, I would just choose between MM and Funhouse if you can't get both packs. Which of those do you like more? Since I own the PHOF Williams collection, I've barely touched MM or Funhouse on TPA since I had my fill on PHOF, but they seem decent enough. I think I liked the sound on Funhouse more on PHOF but it seems a little more manageable to play on TPA. Very sick of MM for now since I played it so much on PHOF, so I haven't really touched it on TPA save for a game or two.

N

Nik Barbour

I hadn't played BOP before I got pack 1, got stuck into MM and barely looked at BOP.
Then had a couple of games and at first just didn't see the attraction.
Then I decided, I had to get in the billionaire's club, and played for a couple of hours one night.
I don't know at what point, but now it's one of my firm favourites. (plus my 3 year old loves it - anything with robots in).
As a plus to that - MM is awesome!
But - I'm not a big CV fan, but FH is another favourite of mine. I wouldn't like to have missed on that one.
Buy them all - you won't regret it!

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I play MM and BoP an absolute ton. CV never holds my attention for long, I find I do less aiming and more just keeping the ball alive. FH has the best physics of any table, and I did just spend an hour and a half playing tonight trying to get a feel for various shots, but I don't play it that often either. Get the MM pack first, then pick up CV. There's my 2 cents.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I play MM and BoP an absolute ton. CV never holds my attention for long, I find I do less aiming and more just keeping the ball alive. FH has the best physics of any table, and I did just spend an hour and a half playing tonight trying to get a feel for various shots, but I don't play it that often either. Get the MM pack first, then pick up CV. There's my 2 cents.

Exactly this.

I'm hoping all the older tables will get physics updates to make them closer to the way FH plays.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Bride of Pinbot is OK, but I find it boring to shoot the shuttle ramp over and over again.

Cirqus Voltaire has the best light show of any table on the 360 so far, and the 360 version does not have anywhere near the issues that plague CV on mobile platforms. You do have to proactively nudge a lot to keep the ball in play, which is why I think some people don't like it.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
While it ceetainly is the focal point, there is more to BOP than just the ramp...but I hear you.

I like CV on the consoles. I guess the only thing I wish for is the ability to skip through the overly long DMD animations.....I know it's not a major thing, but I just want to keep the action rolling.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
nudge a lot

Absolutely. I basically nudge on pretty much every shot I make on CV. ANYTHING to keep the ball away from the slingshot and/or outlanes. It takes some getting used to if you previously nudge only when in dire straits. As Serenseven said in his strategy guide, shoot the ringmaster, try to keep your shots as up-and-down as possible and get everything else by accident (I'm paraphrasing, obviously). It can be a fun table, looks amazing, but is also, in my mind, the most frustrating table to date.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
While it ceetainly is the focal point, there is more to BOP than just the ramp...but I hear you.

I like CV on the consoles. I guess the only thing I wish for is the ability to skip through the overly long DMD animations.....I know it's not a major thing, but I just want to keep the action rolling.
The ability to skip animations was by far my favourite feature of the CV home roms. I got really sick of the high wire and ringmaster animations.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Don't forget that MM has that wide flipper gap, and wonky physics. If you can only afford 1 right now, go with the FH/CV, and get DLC 1 later on, after they have fixed those problems.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Wow this thread turned into a bash Circus Voltair hate thread fast.

But you want some advice ? I believe pack 1 with Medieval Madness and Bride of Pinbot is a must have , and I do love the Circus Voltair table , Rudy's Funhouse ,mmm not so much . Even without the flaws of most releases on DLC pak2 , I still think Medieval Madness is a must own table in the game . Not sure why at $4.99 a pak it comes down to only getting one set, but you probably used up your MS points and dont have the means to get more. You might find yourself enjoying Bride more than you think .

Krzysiek Grzelak

Jun 18, 2012
CV is vicious, i dont like it at all... MM is fun 2 play even when U suck ;) BoP is all about Billion point shot... FH is quite ok, but no extasy.
- MM is a winner!!! ;)

Matt

Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for the opinions guys.

Going to pickup MM & BoP first. CV & FH at a later date.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
You won't go wrong there mate. MM is a great table, just take the time to get to know it, check the strategy guides and have fun !!
MM is a great table, one of, if not the, best table of all time. Definitely a top 3 table, out of every table ever made. TPA MM is towards the bottom of the list of TPA releases right now, with only BH below it. Fix the gap, and it shoots up higher. Tweak the physics, and it's on top.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
CV is a decent table though, and I've never played the real thing but it does seem pretty brutal sending the shots right down the center drain a lot of the time when I play it. It's not necessarily a difficult table, however. One of the nagging things about it for me is actually that opening song (the calliope circus music) just grates my ears. I do like the rest of the music (like the high score and fighting the ringmaster) but in contrast I find all of the music in BoP very soothing.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
What's significantly wrong with Black Hole? I thought it was just a tough table. Only table left I'm working on standard goals for while I'm doing the wizard goals on the others. BH is easily the most frustrating for me, maybe there's a reason for it besides my lack of skills!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts