Played AC/DC today

Matt

Sep 13, 2012
Played 4 games at lunch today on a Pro model. Very fast playing table with awesome music. Unfortunately the amount of drains down the middle are just ridiculous and really killed this table for me.

Why would they design a table where upon exit from the pop bumpers the ball goes SDTM half of the time?! Same thing with the bell shot. Ditto for anything that doesn't make it all the way up a ramp.

There's also an issue with balls getting stuck to the right of the first rollover lane. There's some sort of a post that the ball can rest next to if you do a softer plunge. Impossible to nudge it back into play. You have to really put some muscle into it and suffer a tilt in order to free up the ball.

Also the multiball is a bit strange. No announcement or anything. I was playing away and then all of a sudden...multiball. No idea what I did to trigger it.

I'm kind of shocked that this thing costs $5700. I'd really like to play the limited edition with the lower playfield to see how it compares. I have feeling that it would really add to the gameplay, but at an additional $2000 I don't think I'll be finding one of these locally to play anytime soon.

Has anyone else played either version of this pin?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
They just updated the code the other day. Supposed to have a ton of improvement. Although it won't help with all of those SDTM drains. I've yet to see one in person, but the lights and sound look impressive on YouTube.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Operators jack the angles so the ball goes faster or slower, most i find have a tilt to one side but it could just be poor leveling. Its amazing how 1 degree of angle +/- affects a game.
Made me think of a keychain tool that has open ends for diffrent leg nut sizes and a level with 5degrees-7degrees marked on it, for those tables that you find that could use a lil'tweak:cool:

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I've played the AC/DC LE fairly extensively. I don't have much of a problem with SDTM drains except from incomplete ramp shots.

To start Jam Multiball: 6 left or right ramps, then right ramp.
To start Album Multiball: 3 target bank completions, then right ramp.
To start Tour Multiball: 8 left or right loops, then right ramp.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I've played the AC/DC LE fairly extensively. I don't have much of a problem with SDTM drains except from incomplete ramp shots.
So, only the Pro versions suffer from SDTM drains? I thought that missing features was bad enough, but to make the layout broken unless you buy the premium is downright evil.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I played the Pro version last weekend at Canobie Lake. I generally enjoyed it, but I didn't really know what I was doing and didn't get very far.

A similar thing happened to me with the ball getting perfectly balanced on the end of the plunger lane divider right off the plunge. I had to shove the machine into a tilt to get it free (the tilt seems very sensitive).

A bunch of kids working the arcade were singing along with the music and all yelled "AWWWWW" when I tilted it. I'm glad to see young people appreciating the classics. Though I was never a huge AC/DC fan, I have to admit that this music works really, really well with a pinball; that's probably the best thing about the table.

I had some fun backhanding the left ramp over and over. The PAPA video makes me realize that I probably should have picked a song for which that scored a lot.

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I've played both the LE and pro models. For me the biggest difference is the moving bell on the LE. Its fun to shoot and helps keep the ball from doing a SDTM. They can have the lower playfield. It ain't no HH. The pro model I played had a wire guide coming out of the bell and bumpers which helped with drains but not as well as the swinging bell. As an AC/DC fan I am somewhat biased but this is my favorite Stern since LOTR. The music really gets me going and its use in the game is an excellent model that I hope is used in future band themed tables. Its layout is a bit similar to T2 but I owned a T2 and became tired of it after a year. AC/DC would have more lasting power for me. Just my 2 cents.

Matt

Sep 13, 2012
The machine I played did look like it was setup steeper than normal. I'm sure that contributed to some of the drains.

I took a look at the software change log on the Stern site. It's a pretty huge list. And they did add a lamp effect for the start of multiball.

Hopefully the machine here gets updated soon and I can give it another go.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
It's the only pin in my general vicinity. I appreciated the cannon and the great music, but the table wasn't terribly fun IMO. Now to find that X-Men tables....

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
It's the only pin in my general vicinity. I appreciated the cannon and the great music, but the table wasn't terribly fun IMO. Now to find that X-Men tables....

Played both last night in NZ/Auckland league (I came third-a BIG shock LOL).
4BF13E62-C862-453C-A7C9-30D5EBB31A9A-5879-00001297118EA8D3.jpg

Only two X-Men in NZ-It's a cruel game-Harsh (It was 128/250 Magneto LE)
AC/DC was an LE too-Sweet game-I LIKE :)
Guy had five tables in his City Apt.-All Sterns:
AC/DC, BATMAN, X-MEN, IRONMAN, SPIDERMAN

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Is it me or do the white LEDS wich look blue ruin the other lights by being too bright? Im all for color LEDS or whites in lenses but LED out tables turn me off, I'll play it but I LOVE the warm glow of incandesent bulbs, especially when they strobe LEDS are blinding.

Members online

Members online