How can I browse the .res files?

R

Rhandos

I'd like to open, browser or unzip the file Pinballarcade.app/Contents/Resources/TRipleys.res so I can set up some jingles and soundbites as my new message tone. What file format are the table files and how do I open them?

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
its a packed, proprietary format that includes everything in a block, you would have to reverse engineer our packing and compression methods, not an easy task. In short there is no way unfortunately.

Gordon

May 28, 2012
(PC) PinMAMEW (Win32 Version of former PinMAME DOS) + Orginal Stern rom. PinMAME can record the sound output to a wave file.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Sep 9, 2012
(PC) PinMAMEW (Win32 Version of former PinMAME DOS) + Orginal Stern rom. PinMAME can record the sound output to a wave file.

There is also a program called M1Bridge that may be able to get sounds out of the actual ROM file. I don't know if Ripley's is supported.

deufeufeu

Aug 9, 2012
I've reversed it. I'm able to change almost everything in a table but the main use of this is to change the dip switches. But playing with a change of physics on some table is not so bad.
I won't release anything because it's against the terms of use of TPA.

deufeufeu

Aug 9, 2012
I sound like some crackpot so here are some more details :
- res files are the same on all platforms except for endianness
- almost everything is compressed in LZSS like most games on the Nintendo DS
- Tables are made in 3ds Max and exported to a simple file format Placement.dil where you can find position as 32bit floats and move objects.
- Each object has its own file
- A collision envelloppe is defined in another file for object
- The rom is initialized with a ram file in a different format than pinmame, but you can find the same layout shifted (of course since the rom is the same)
- sounds are not taken from the rom but from specific sound files
- The whole table is built from a file PBT<Table>.csv where each element gets some physics details for collisions. It also states a lot of variable which are unused (like the dot color).
- Textures are made in various formats : PNG, JPG a specific uncompressed format. Lights are defined as separate images but in fact are 0bytes images where the real content is taken from a big map file. A lot of textures come from real pictures modified in photoshop. You can see blur on the part not displayed for example.
- Cameras and Lightsets are defined in a text file, all cameras are from every platform are defined for the table. Some table have multiple lightsets, I guess it's a first step toward GI.
- Scripted tables are scripted in LUA and the script is in bytecode format

I think at this point you will be conviced that I was not lying :)

Members online

Members online