Let's help Farsight come up with other adjectives!

The Doctor

Banned
May 1, 2012
When TPA first came out they talked about the "legendary" pat lawlor... but then they also went on to call steve ritchie and barry oursler "legendary." Now.. I'm not saying they aren't legendary... but can't we use other adjectives to describe them?

Here's a few:

amazing
spectacular
preeminent
master

Absynthetik0

Oct 23, 2012
When TPA first came out they talked about the "legendary" pat lawlor... but then they also went on to call steve ritchie and barry oursler "legendary." Now.. I'm not saying they aren't legendary... but can't we use other adjectives to describe them?

Here's a few:

amazing
spectacular
preeminent
master

=O I Can't believe the Doctor suggested "master"!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
When speaking of "legendary" but still living heroes-to-a-niche-audience, I have always enjoyed the term inimitable.
But don't use the word inimitable when speechwriting, as your speaker is likely to read it as intimate, which is only funny for the audience. I speak from experience.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Here's what a Thesaurus says are acceptable alternatives:
allegorical, apocryphal, created, customary, doubtful, dubious, fabled, fabricated, fabulous, fanciful, figmental, handed-down, imaginary, imaginative, improbable, invented, mythical, mythological, related, romantic, storied, told, traditional, unhistoric, unhistorical, unreal, unverifiable.

Words that Sell ( essentially a copywriter's thesaurus) gives some that could actually be used:
top-ranking, iconic, landmark, unrivaled, unmatched, unequaled, unexcelled, unsurpassed, unparalleled, and incomparable.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
These guys were pioneers of pinball , so something along the lines of pioneering , and or trailblazers . Maestro is fitting.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
But don't use the word inimitable when speechwriting, as your speaker is likely to read it as intimate, which is only funny for the audience. I speak from experience.

Ha ha ha, I'll bet that is a fun story! So you're a professional speechwriter then? That is on my short list of dream jobs.
vkM2R.gif

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Ha ha ha, I'll bet that is a fun story! So you're a professional speechwriter then? That is on my short list of dream jobs.
vkM2R.gif
No, I was helping a fraternity buddy revise his commencement address and rewrote a few passages. My vocabulary momentarily outran his on-the-fly cognitive processing and he read "the inimitable experience" as "the intimate experience" onstage. Was quite confused why the audience suddenly was rolling off their chairs laughing. Ever since then, I've been a little more careful about word choice.

I do architectural and theatrical lighting control as my real job, with a side of coding just to keep my skills up from my previous life as a software developer.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.