360 Addams Family likeness question?

pghjerry

Aug 1, 2012
Lets just say, there was just one actors image likeness they couldn't license, couldn't they change the artwork slightly so it didn't look like the actor, but still look like the character? They could re-record his/her lines? I would hate to see this game not come out because of one or more persons image.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Raul Julia's voice acting is a huge part of this game. I assume that any restrictions on the use of his likeness would extend to his voice.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
supposedly, It was in his Will , last request thing , he did not want his image or likeness used after his death. It's not something his estate will change their mind on , if this is true .

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
If you guys have ever seen a documentary called 'The Art of the Steal', you'll soon realize there isn't an ironclad will out there that can't be broken by using some creative logic. For those that didn't see it, it's about the city of Philadelphia literally stealing a private art collection from the Barnes Foundation that is worth untold millions, despite having a will that set up in no uncertain terms that the art was never ever to be displayed in a museum. Specifically one in Philadelphia. Where it sits now.

The only reason I have hope for TAF and an arrangement with RJ's estate is that its not like anything new is being created. This is all art and voice that was approved by the actor himself. This isn't Guitar Hero where Raul might now have his face show up in an Elvira table. There's a strong argument that can be made for this not going against his wishes, as what we're talking about here is a license that had merely expired, and a renewal is what is being sought. It's a grey area, and all depends whether the estate reads the will as an absolute or as a declaration of new uses of his image that he obviously can never approve of now. In other words, he saw John Wayne hawking a vacuum in that commercial and said "nope, not gonna be me".

J2fold

Jul 28, 2012
I bet we will get this, I have never seen or heard of it until I started reading these forums, but this table seems to be on every ones list and now I have to admit I want it as well. It looks to be too popular not to have something worked out.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The only reason I have hope for TAF and an arrangement with RJ's estate is that its not like anything new is being created. This is all art and voice that was approved by the actor himself. This isn't Guitar Hero where Raul might now have his face show up in an Elvira table. There's a strong argument that can be made for this not going against his wishes, as what we're talking about here is a license that had merely expired, and a renewal is what is being sought. It's a grey area, and all depends whether the estate reads the will as an absolute or as a declaration of new uses of his image that he obviously can never approve of now. In other words, he saw John Wayne hawking a vacuum in that commercial and said "nope, not gonna be me".

One other thing that might help here is TZ and ST:TNG. The former has the likeness of a deceased individual (Rod Serling) on it, and the latter has a lot of likenesses and voice work. Once those two tables are released, and Raul Julia's estate can see that FarSight is treating the licensed material with respect and using it only in the exact same way as the original tables did, they may feel more comfortable about licensing for TAF.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
If you guys have ever seen a documentary called 'The Art of the Steal', you'll soon realize there isn't an ironclad will out there that can't be broken by using some creative logic. For those that didn't see it, it's about the city of Philadelphia literally stealing a private art collection from the Barnes Foundation that is worth untold millions, despite having a will that set up in no uncertain terms that the art was never ever to be displayed in a museum. Specifically one in Philadelphia. Where it sits now.

I did see this movie and was lucky enough to see the collection before it was moved. I'd never visit at its new location though. Off topic but I wanted to mention it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I did see this movie and was lucky enough to see the collection before it was moved. I'd never visit at its new location though. Off topic but I wanted to mention it.

Lucky you to have gotten to see it in the environment it was meant to be seen in.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Kind of reminds me of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston: the benefactor's will stipulates so strictly that the house and the collection must never be changed that when thieves made off with some of the paintings, the best they could do was leave blank spaces on the walls.

Mk pinball fan

Jul 11, 2012
I played it for the first time this weekend. They have it at one of the movie theaters in town. They also have the Creature. I sure hope they make the Addams Family it was really fun an exciting!

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012

A will only determines who gets property, not what the recipient does with it. For instance, if someone left their son a house, but that he couldn't sell it, the son could still sell it after it came into his possession, as it is now the son's property, and he can do whatever he wants with it. I'm not 100% sure if likeness rights are considered this same sort of property, but if they are, whoever holds them can make exemptions if they could be persuaded to.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I don't think Farsight have the legal team to trigger something like this to be honest, it's something that we should really leave until someone decides to release the movies/tv series on blu-ray and THEN try the exact same thing as it's basically just releasing an old license on a new medium.

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Ignoring the legal ins and outs, I'd hate to see the table 'tweaked' just to have it available. Not that FS would I don't think. It's just not cricket, as we say.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts