Flipper lag theory

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Just wondering if anyone with a PS3 can post whether or not they have flipper lag and also post which revision of the console they have (i think the early model had 2 or three revisions and not sure how many of the slim).

I'm not sure how to check this as I don't have a PS3.

Has this avenue been explored yet?

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
You mean like whether the FAT PS3 owners have lag while the Slim model PS3 owners dont? I considered that a possibility, but really seems more likely it's a issue with certain TVs and HD setups . I never get this "flipper lag" with my Slim 2011 model PS3 ,and the Samsung TV with 1080P screen res. I use.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Hi superballs,

Good idea - but we have already checked the different ps3 models, the lag is not specific to one of them.

Personally I am also convinced that it's mostly the fault of the TV and I have adjusted my timing accordingly. Not that I am happy but it's something I can live with. Didn't the developers confirm that the rendering of the lighting takes 1 frame? This together with a "slow" TV can result in a noticeable lag.

Let's wait for the (tomorrow?) update and check again. :)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah I was just thinking of that, but don't remember seeing it brought up. Glad it was covered though.

Danieru_X

Sep 24, 2012
I have a 2011 ps3 slim and a sharp aquos running 1080p 60hz I believe and I do experience flipper lag compared to my vita and android experiences.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
I did a final check today with the 2.03 patch. When I set the screen resolution to 720p the lag is completely gone, in 1080i (the highest resolution that my TV supports) the usual slight lag is noticeable.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I have a PS3 slim, run 1080i on my rear projection CRT tv, no lag. Been the case no matter what update, currently with 2.03

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
What happened with the controller thing? Does it still help to use a wired controller or did that get fixed?

Macca_96

Jul 15, 2012
I dont agree its a TV issue. Its not just the flipper lagging but the buttons too (eg pressing pause and X to exit the game and what not). Ive lost alot of balls because of the lag

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Controller issues are a separate thing. Does it make a difference if you plug the controller in instead of using it in wireless mode?

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
In my case it is not TV-related:
Flipper lag is fixed for me with 2.0.3, just a tiiiiny bit of lag on TotAN but it's playable.
In the previous versions I had to set my 40" Samsung LED (UE40ES6100) to HDMI source: "PC" and my picture settings to "Game-mode" off. Version 2.0.3 allows me to play in HDMI Source "Game" and Game-mode On.

acw-nf

May 17, 2012
Before you blame lag on the TPA, I would definitely suggest plugging in your controller while playing. I've definitely noticed that all my kick-ass scores have come when I have mine plugged in....when we're talking about millisecond reactions, the potential for a bluetooth controller in a house full of wi-fi / cordless phones / other sources of interference to be off ever-so-slightly is high. I've had my PS3 controller suddenly de-sync from the PS3 for no apparent reason, and I can only put this to outside interference. Maybe I'm wrong, but it can't hurt to plug in.

Also, not all controllers are equal - one of my PS3 controllers definitely has a right trigger that doesn't seem to react as quickly as the others do. I just don't use that one for TPA. Keep the controllers clean, and watch out for hand salsa in the shoulder button mounts, as buildup can definitely lead to poor performance.

I don't doubt that people have suffered lag issues not related to these reasons - but it's always good to eliminate variables. Plug in those controllers and keep them clean!

djwille

Apr 2, 2012
I have a ps3 slim and a acer 27" inch 3d monitor with 1080p and i have no lag at all. From the beginning i don,t have any lag at all.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Never actually thought about the number of radio/bluetooth devices actually. That's a good snag. Even non bluetooth devices or bad cabling or fluorecent fixtures, radio controlled helicopters.

CrazyCoder

Apr 26, 2012
It's a game issue, not hardware. I have both fat and slim PS3, one is plugged to a TV, another to 30" Dell display, they are in different rooms. Flipper lag is the same. Zen Pinball, Marvel Pinball, Zen Pinball 2 do not have any lag on both PS3s. XBOX 360 plugged to the same TV in the same room has no lag in Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX2.

So the issue is with Pinball Arcade PS3 version only, not with hardware.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
I play on a 80gb fat PS3 (it's at least 5 years, I don't really know, I inherited it.) I'm hooked up to a Sharp AQUOS 46in LCD, runnin' in 1080p when it can.
If I have any flipper lag, it's extremely minimal. I believe it is non-existent for me.

I've been pullin' triggers longer than most (probably all) of you have been alive. I know the response time between index finger and action(s).

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
^ A Freudian slip. I forgot the word 'old'. Ha ha! I guess I really do hate that word.

I'll call this a riddle edit.

ROTTEN

Jun 27, 2012
It's a game issue, not hardware. I have both fat and slim PS3, one is plugged to a TV, another to 30" Dell display, they are in different rooms. Flipper lag is the same. Zen Pinball, Marvel Pinball, Zen Pinball 2 do not have any lag on both PS3s. XBOX 360 plugged to the same TV in the same room has no lag in Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX2.

So the issue is with Pinball Arcade PS3 version only, not with hardware.

This ^^^ Input lag has nothing to do with your hardware, it is a game issue and can only be fixed by the developers. Having a crappy TV can make it worse, but having a wicked TV will not fix it.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
It definitely does not have anything to do with which PS3 console revision you own, as others have mentioned.

This is a common problem with the PS3. Versions of some fighting games are known to have slight input delay of about a couple frames or so as well.

While this won't fix it completely, make sure your TV is either set to "game mode", or if it doesn't have one, just go in and manually disable any and all post processing effects.

And also, make sure you are displaying in 1080P.

You could also try using a VGA cable. VGA is analog, and turns off all post processing effects by default.

Speaking of that, has anyone tried hooking a PS3 to a PC monitor via VGA?

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Enabling game mode on my TV definitely helped mitigate the issue for me. The game is certainly playable and it only becomes apparent that its less than crisp when you compare it to something like Pinball Hall of Fame or the Zen games.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.