PS3 - Bug BK Upper playfield flipper lag...

EvanBingham

Aug 19, 2012
Anyone else having issues with their upper playfield flippers? It is getting on my nerves but sometimes they just don't want to flip! Don't have this issue on Kindle Fire

Wigoutboy

Sep 5, 2012
Maybe you're not pressing the buttons hard enough. Remember TPA now uses two stage flippers and in order to activate them you have to press the buttons a little bit harder. If you press them lightly they shouldn't activate.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I really can't stand these two stage flippers!!!

I have missed so many shots because of them. Why wouldn't they give an option to turn them off?
I don't like having to slam the shoulder buttons to get the flippers to respond.

Zen 2 actually got rid of this on all of heir updated classic tables because so many people hated them.
This is definitely a reverse move by Farsight IMO.

Either get rid of it or let us turn it off... PLEASE!!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I really can't stand these two stage flippers!!!

I have missed so many shots because of them. Why wouldn't they give an option to turn them off?
I don't like having to slam the shoulder buttons to get the flippers to respond.

Zen 2 actually got rid of this on all of heir updated classic tables because so many people hated them.
This is definitely a reverse move by Farsight IMO.

Either get rid of it or let us turn it off... PLEASE!!

Because the real machines don't have the option to turn them off.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Because the real machines don't have the option to turn them off.

True, but the responsiveness (or lack of) with the PS3 controller's L1/R1 buttons is a poor simulation. It requires an unnaturally hard squeeze to activate the upper flippers. It's genuinely uncomfortable to play that aggressively for any length of time. Does anyone actually use 2-stage flipper techniques to any advantage on BK anyway?

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
True, but the responsiveness (or lack of) with the PS3 controller's L1/R1 buttons is a poor simulation. It requires an unnaturally hard squeeze to activate the upper flippers. It's genuinely uncomfortable to play that aggressively for any length of time. Does anyone actually use 2-stage flipper techniques to any advantage on BK anyway?

This!

If we all had micro switched leaf arcade buttons this would be a non issue,
but the Dual Shock shoulder buttons are not the easiest to control.

Like I mentioned before Zen had enough feedback from people who wanted it removed from Zen2 and Afaik it's not even an option to turn it on. That's how much it was disliked.

Also, I've played many of these in the arcade and don't recall having to had pressed harder to operate the other flippers.
Is this something that not every version of the machine actually had?
Whirlwind and Theatre of Magic for example. I know those two didn't have it at my local arcade.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Also, I've played many of these in the arcade and don't recall having to had pressed harder to operate the other flippers.
Is this something that not every version of the machine actually had?
Whirlwind and Theatre of Magic for example. I know those two didn't have it at my local arcade.
Theatre of Magic doesn't have upper flippers.

All Whirlwinds have 2-stage flippers, unless someone's been playing with the guts of the machine. But real-world 2-stage flippers are very touchy beasts; any normal amount of pressure activates both flippers. You have to use a very light touch to keep only the lower flipper up. If you were unaware a particular machine had 2-stage flippers, it is entirely possible to play many games on it without ever finding out.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
On my own BK it requires the most delicate of touches to get the first leaf switch to close and not the second - almost impossible to do mid-game and there's no reason why you would want to.

Quite often the second leaf is used to activate lane change on those early-SS games. I recall that being the case on my Fathom years ago. The flipper switches on Theatre of Magic are opto switches. I'm guessing that the second switch may have been used to change the multiplier lanes on that too. I know that ST:TNG uses the second opto switch to select mission at the start of ball.

I think there are only a handful of games that actively use the 2-stage flipper mechanic as part of the strategy - for example to hold a ball on a lower flipper during multiball and aim for a Jackpot or similar with an upper flipper. I'm pretty sure The Getaway is designed to work that way.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Think the two stage flippers work well on Funhouse then again there is only one left flipper. Black Knight is a whole other story, especially the upper left flipper to me it feels off when compared to the upper right one.

acw-nf

May 17, 2012
I played my first game of Black Knight on PS3 last night, and I concur - I *hate* two stage flippers on a PS3 controller.

It seems like things are backwards - i.e. you have to press very hard to get the upper flipper to work, rather than on a machine where a very light touch is required to move the upper flipper alone. I found the same issue on RBION and Funhouse too, but on a table like BK the issue really hits home as you are constantly needing to utilize the upper flippers. I could barely muster 250,000 points due to this issue.

I realize Farsight is going for simulation (and this is excellent), but the manner in which two-stage flippers is implemented translates very poorly to a controller. It is NOT realistic at all. I really hope they rectify this issue in a future release.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Since everyone's going to have different impressions of how much pressure should be required to do a 2-stage shot, maybe FarSight could add a sensitivity slider to the table options for tables that have 2-stage flippers?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Since everyone's going to have different impressions of how much pressure should be required to do a 2-stage shot, maybe FarSight could add a sensitivity slider to the table options for tables that have 2-stage flippers?

That would be a good solution.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.