Mac version!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Mac version just went live!

"The Mac version has just gone live and is featured under "New and Noteworthy" in the app store! On OSx, we're currently using similar rendering tech as we do on the new iPad, but at 1080p. We'll be updating the lighting and graphics quality to that of the consoles in the upcoming months."

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I don't have a Mac, but I'd like to hear impressions. So post away if you have the Mac version.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Here's a nice little tidbit of info from FS: "It's not officially supported yet, but you can plug a PS3 controller in and the triggers will control the flippers, and the analog sticks will control the flippers and nudging."

sinatra

Mar 7, 2012
I have a MacBook Pro i7 2GHz with 8GB of RAM. I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong. But as with all other apps/games downloaded from the App Store, I've come to expect them to just work.
This baby would seem to have benefitted a Beta program before launch.

Control scheme is also totally redicilous. Have the guys at Farsight not seen a pinball game on a computer before. The fact that they expect me to use a mouse to plunge and nudge is a big NO NO. Keys only.

Heres my suggestion for a control scheme that would work.
Green buttons for flippers. Red for side nudging. Blue to nudge up. Pink for plunging.

Last edited:

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
I'm running it on a 15" 2008 Mac Book Pro, and while I have no issues with sound or frame rate, anti-aliasing is not turned on, which makes everything look jagged-comparable to running on an 1st generation ipad.
Again, I'm won't complain, but I'm just a little surprised as even though it's an older model MBP, I thought my graphics card would at least be able to handle running with anti-aliasing on.
Is there any official word from Farsight what the required specs are?

epthegeek

Mar 30, 2012
I'm running it on my mac pro. Runs like BUTTAH. Doesn't have the same fancy lighting the console preview video recently had -- but they posted on FB that they'll be improving that.

I've got the ps3 controller hookup running and that definitely helps their retarded control layout. Arrow keys? FOOLISH.

I set my monitor settings for 90 degrees rotated and full screened PA and it looks like this: http://imgur.com/SbnZA -- which is effing sweet, since I have a rotatable dell 24" monitor.

Vercingetorix

Mar 12, 2012
I'm running it on a 15" 2008 Mac Book Pro, and while I have no issues with sound or frame rate, anti-aliasing is not turned on, which makes everything look jagged-comparable to running on an 1st generation ipad.
Again, I'm won't complain, but I'm just a little surprised as even though it's an older model MBP, I thought my graphics card would at least be able to handle running with anti-aliasing on.
Is there any official word from Farsight what the required specs are?

I've got the same laptop, and I've always thought that the Nvidia card built into was pretty flaccid for gaming. I remember being disappointed at how much graphical stuff I had to turn off in order for games to run decently -- even when booting directly into Windows with putatively game-optimized drivers, and even when the laptop was brand new. And that was four years ago. I'm not surprised it's even more disappointing now, unfortunately.

I've also got a new iMac. Can't wait to get home and install it.

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
Yes, using the left and right arrow keys is not good for flipper control. I too would have preferred the shift keys, so it would be a nice option to redefine the keys in a future release.

Farsight confirmed that they also skimped on the lighting effects compared to console versions, which they say they will upgrade in coming months!

Happy to be playing Pinball on the Mac despite these small issues, good work Farsight!

Cowboy

Feb 23, 2012
I'm really enjoying the game on my iMac very much....It's a late 2010 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo (4GB ram) and it plays the game perfectly....Looks really good, I'd say it's somewhere between the iPad version and the Xbox 360/PS3 version.

Honestly I think the iPad 3 version and the Mac version are really very close, if not identical.....At least what I have seen of the iPad 3 version graphics wise (not counting the bug that makes the ball too fast and menu's messed up).

The only thing they need to change is the control method.....the shift keys would be perfect for the flippers and maybe the arrow keys for the plunger....but the arrow keys are just too tiny for the flippers....although to be honest, I did get used to them enough to get 46,000,000 on TOTAN....so I reckon it's not that bad....it could just be more comfortable :)

Oh and one more thing.....gotta have the camera lock on multi-ball...even with the HUGE screen...it would still be better if it didn't pull out for multi-ball.

But it's really a winner....gonna be playing this a lot !

Vercingetorix

Mar 12, 2012
Arrow keys?? Really?

That's a complete nonstarter. I think the controls were better than that back when I played David's Midnight Magic on an Apple II. Wow.

Vercingetorix

Mar 12, 2012
All right, I got home, bought the game, and installed it on my iMac. Initial thoughts:

1. It is gorgeous and runs great on my 2011 iMac. It's beautiful. It's the best-looking digital pinball I've ever seen.

2. That said, the controls are so bad that I'm honestly not sure I'm going to bother playing it at all until it's changed. it's a one- or at most two-star app until the controls get fixed. Flippers with the arrow keys while you're supposed to be nudging with the mouse is a horrible experience. I guess you're supposed to be holding the mouse with one hand while flipping with two fingers on your other hand.....but that's not how you play pinball. I guess if you don't care about nudging at all then you could eventually get used to holding your hands right next to each other.

This is a five-star app if it only gave us the option of using, say, something as mundane as Visual Pinball's control scheme. As it is, it's seriously a one- or maybe two-star app. The control scheme is that bad. Wow, I'm disappointed.

Last edited:

Vercingetorix

Mar 12, 2012
Farsight mentioned something in their FB thread about the PS3 gamepad. I have a standard USB Logitech gamepad that works fine with no extra software for every game I've tried. The plunger works, I can nudge and tilt the heck out of the table with it, and I can escape out to (but not navigate) the table menu, but none of the buttons work the flippers. So a standard gamepad's out.

My final annoyance is that there's no easy way to get out of fullscreen mode. You can enter it through a menu or escape it with a three-stroke key combination, but you have to enter the same key combo to get back out of it. If you don't remember it (or entered through the menu), you eventually have to alt-tab out of the game and then control-click and quit from the Dock. I'm not sure why the escape key doesn't just exit fullscreen mode.

Again, though: it's beautiful. It runs great. If the controls were better I'd probably lose my whole weekend to it.

Last edited:

PinMike8666

Feb 20, 2012
While I'm not interested in playing the PC or Mac versions (largely due to not having a powerful enough computer), I agree there needs to be customizable keyboard controls; the current controls seem awkward, judging from the posts. Also, there aren't too many pinball games on computer that utilize the mouse for any functions, other than navigation.

I think the most obvious method for the controls should be these:

Left Shift = Left Flipper
Right Shift = Right Flipper
Enter or Down Arrow = Plunger
Z Key = Left Nudge
Slash Key = Right Nudge
Left Alt or X Key = Left Magna Save
Right Alt or Period Key = Right Magna Save

But yea, custom controls are a must for PC (and Mac) pinball.

Last edited:

Vercingetorix

Mar 12, 2012
I don't mind using the mouse for the plunger; it actually does a better job of simulating the touch you need for a skill shot, plus it replicates the need on a real table to move your hand from the plunger to the right flipper. Seems like it would be a nice way to replicate the back and forth action of, say, battling the genie in TOTAN. But it makes no sense to use it for nudging when your hands are over on the keyboard for the flippers.

I'd use the mouse for the plunger, the two shift keys for flippers, Z and the slash for nudging left and right, and the space bar for nudging forward.

N

Nik Barbour

I use a ps3 controller via bluetooth with my android to play TPA.
Got it configured so shoulder buttons are flippers, right analogue is plunger backwards and forwards and nudge is left right. Buttons perform start pause toggle view.
Works great, skill shots as well!

PinMike8666

Feb 20, 2012
I don't mind using the mouse for the plunger; it actually does a better job of simulating the touch you need for a skill shot, plus it replicates the need on a real table to move your hand from the plunger to the right flipper. Seems like it would be a nice way to replicate the back and forth action of, say, battling the genie in TOTAN. But it makes no sense to use it for nudging when your hands are over on the keyboard for the flippers.

I'd use the mouse for the plunger, the two shift keys for flippers, Z and the slash for nudging left and right, and the space bar for nudging forward.

I agree. I think a mouse would make a good plunger substitute.

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
The mouse as the plunger is a great idea, but the not allowing customizable controls is just unacceptable! Farsight if you're reading this, please fix this!!! The game is just unplayable using arrow keys.
And all mac users should post for a controls fix on Facebook.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts