Ipad1 VS Ipad3 noted differences, I'm surprised.

rocco

Jun 5, 2012
Hi all,

I have played Pinball Arcade quite a lot on my trusty old Ipad1, I have a 5500+ points Fall of Fame Score so I'm not totally wasted. And I have put in quite some hour to get that score. So I just upgraded to and Ipad3 in preparation for Scared Stiff release. While lots of things are far superior on the Ipad3 (like graphics, flow of gameplay (on Ripley multiball for example), facebook integration not crashing, some things are actually worse.

The one most notable difference is that on the Ipad3, balls are "lost" a lot compared to Ipad1. For instance in BN, a shoot in the right ramp, the ball went out of the cabinet, and one could hear it bounce of the floor. The ball was put back in the plunger. This "never" happened on the Ipad1. I also played quickly on NGG and also had a couple balls that where "lost" in a similar manner. Same with some other think it was MM.

So even though the version of the app itself and the platform is the same, there seems to be quite a difference between the two, of cause Ipad3 experience is superior and I would recommend this upgrade to anyone whom has the $ to space. But there are some glitches that are really annoying in the Ipad3 experience.

My guess is that since the graphics is changed on the Ipad3, some stuff on the board has to be realigned, so that balls are not lost. If so then one wouldn't loose balls on Ipad2, but I have no Ipad2 to test with.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
The problem is that the TPA physics has the quantum mechanics part of the simulation all out of whack...

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Well maybe FS needs to disengage the Heisenberg compensators so that the core can reintegrate the ball integrity within the proper alignment... or something.

rocco

Jun 5, 2012
Good that everyone enjoys a good laugh. I personally would love to have a good Pinball experience on my Ipad3, but that is just me.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Well, other than frequently losing balls through the side of the table (watch your step!), I pretty much play TPA on my iPad3 continually. Works pretty well - though after seeing the display, I just can't stand playing it on my old iPad...

Also nicer than playing on the iPhone for me personally.

rocco

Jun 5, 2012
Well, other than frequently losing balls through the side of the table (watch your step!), I pretty much play TPA on my iPad3 continually. Works pretty well - though after seeing the display, I just can't stand playing it on my old iPad...

Also nicer than playing on the iPhone for me personally.

Well it's not only loosing balls. On Elvira I had a right ramp shoot, which jumped over to the left ramp, hmmm. Balls going through the flippers when doing a slapsave and so on. This never happened on the Ipad1. But can't play on the Ipad1 any longer, cause it hurts my eyes compared to the screen on the Ipad3.

Something is out of wack with the Ipad3.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
On Elvira I had a right ramp shoot, which jumped over to the left ramp, hmmm.

I've had that happen 4 or 5 times now. Not a major problem because I've actually run that ramp hundreds of times with no problem so it probably requires just the smallest of tweaks.

Wizened

Jun 10, 2012
I too recently switched from 1 to 3. Ripley alone was worth it! Never knew the game could play so nicely.
As for the rest, as my old designer friend Mike Kubin used to say, "that's pinball!".

karl

May 10, 2012
Brian. Are you asking if Farsight has made plans for IPDAD 4, 1 day after it got announced? Or did I misunderstand the question? If that was your question, ask it again in a couple of weeks. Sorry if I sound rude (not my intention) but we should at least give them time to know about the new Ipad before we bombard them with questions about it. I bet post processing will be a lot smoother on it since it got more power but any other changes would surprise me since it plays quite nicely on nr 3 (except for the bugs but thats programming and not power related). If they want to take full advantage of the new Ipad and program a completely ny build for it that would take forever, piss people off who have older ipads and by the time the build is finished there will be another IPAD. PS! I Just read through my post and boy do I sound like a negative creep or what. Sorry for the rant (not my first and probably not the last)

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Brian. Are you asking if Farsight has made plans for IPDAD 4, 1 day after it got announced? Or did I misunderstand the question? If that was your question, ask it again in a couple of weeks. Sorry if I sound rude (not my intention) but we should at least give them time to know about the new Ipad before we bombard them with questions about it. I bet post processing will be a lot smoother on it since it got more power but any other changes would surprise me since it plays quite nicely on nr 3 (except for the bugs but thats programming and not power related). If they want to take full advantage of the new Ipad and program a completely ny build for it that would take forever, piss people off who have older ipads and by the time the build is finished there will be another IPAD. PS! I Just read through my post and boy do I sound like a negative creep or what. Sorry for the rant (not my first and probably not the last)

I was just surprised by the lack of mention of it at all on the forums. It was a day after it's announced, but that doesn't mean that it won't be supported in the future. Not to mention that new devices were rumored for awhile. Also, I haven't heard any more info on the iPhone 5 issues from Farsight (and no info on how the tables run on iPod Touch 5). This thread probably wasn't a good choice due to the first post. I should have looked it over better.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
The iPad 4 doesn't offer much over the 3, other than a faster processor, so it should just work right off the bat.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I ordered my iPad 4 last night. I didn't even consider a possible compatibility problem. Now I'm a tad worried.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Well the screen resolution of the 4 is identical to the 3, so there's no functional difference...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.