Can someone please tell me what "floaty" means?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I keep seeing people saying how TPA's physics seem "floaty" and I'm not sure what they're referring to exactly. Thanks.

Floaty means that the ball seems to lack weight and merely hover over the playfield rather than actually making contact with it. By the way, the ball was "floaty" on the PBHOF Collections, but doesn't feel that way at all on TPA in my opinion.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, PHOF was on the floaty side.

TPA is much better, and it'll be nice to see some physics improvements over time. I know Farsight is planning to still tweak it a bit. To me, the ball almost seems too fast at times. Sometimes it seems like the ball accelerates and comes down the inlanes and onto the flippers quicker than it usually does in real life, which also causes the flippers to seem stronger. If they work that out, plus tone down the bounciness a bit, we'll have the most realistic pinball simulator of all time.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Play Medieval Madness on PHOFWC and you'll see what Floaty means.
Indeed. I've saved many, many balls from the outlanes on MM after a bad slingshot just because the ball took 5 seconds to leisurely get over there. It really does look like it's levitating at times.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Floaty is to pinball as pitchy is to American Idol. It's not an official term per se, but you know it when you see it or hear it. I could hear Randy Jackson saying, "yo dawg, I thought Medieval Madness was just ah-ite on the original PHOF collection. It came out strong but the ball physics were floaty, dawg. And the sound emulation was too pitchy for me."

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Floaty is to pinball as pitchy is to American Idol. It's not an official term per se, but you know it when you see it or hear it. I could hear Randy Jackson saying, "yo dawg, I thought Medieval Madness was just ah-ite on the original PHOF collection. It came out strong but the ball physics were floaty, dawg. And the sound emulation was too pitchy for me."

Ha, I like that analogy.

Jimmy Gambrill

Mar 27, 2012
Floaty means that the ball seems to lack weight and merely hover over the playfield rather than actually making contact with it. By the way, the ball was "floaty" on the PBHOF Collections, but doesn't feel that way at all on TPA in my opinion.

So you've actually played TPA? I guess so since you're in Texas. This was pretty much my only gripe with the William's disc, the floaty ball physics. Glad to hear it's been fixed, TPA is truely going to be perfect I believe.

N

Nik Barbour

Whilst were on the subject, on an earlier thread I saw someone say "spamming the flippers" and wasn't sure what they meant.
Guessed It means repeatedly flipping quickly.

HeYjOe

Feb 20, 2012
Multiball when the camera zooms out has me kind of "spamming the flippers" on a 4s, tough to see the little blighters at that range.........mind on the 360 I have control (of sorts) :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts