Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I will now!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No, and I'm not interested.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Since October 2010, Nexon's free-to-play action MMO Vindictus has constantly intrigued me. It has not only held my attention better than any other MMO on the market (including larger, more technically impressive retail games), it has drastically altered my expectations for all future video games. This is no overstatement. Originally known as Mabinogi Heroes in its native Korea, Vindictus is no average MMORPG. It's actually more of an advanced dungeon crawler, with some unparalleled cooperative raids and some of the best (and most fashionable) character customization ever seen in a video game. It's also completely free to play, and the full client can be downloaded either through your Steam client or directly from Nexon's Vindictus website.

Just a few days ago, Nexon upgraded Vindictus with much of eXtreme Edition's content, including the ability to jump at will, a rebalancing of all character types, and a Level 50 event that gives you instant startup with better skills and equipment (which also effectively gives you access to more of the story content and map right out of the gate). This seems to be in celebration of Vindictus completing its first 10 episodes before moving on to "Season 2" in the near future.

If you haven't played Vindictus, give it a shot, no matter what types of games you typically enjoy. The arcade action is more akin to Devil May Cry or Bayonetta than a typical RPG, and the combat allows context-sensitive grappling like fighting games Dead Or Alive or Soulcalibur. Thanks to Valve's Source engine, objects in the environment can be destroyed, thrown, or wielded as gimmick weaponry (so can most enemies' bodies). Even your own armor can be shredded or broken, exposing undergarments with real-time damage models unlike anything I've seen in other action games. And even though you technically select between five drastically different characters, you get almost total control over their appearance (hair, eyes, skin, body shape, colors, etc.), with certain things like height and weight actually affecting your character's stats. Tall, muscular versions of each character may have higher payload limits, whereas shorter, thinner characters are faster and more agile. Character animations are also extremely lifelike, and compared to the stiff-as-a-board models we've grown accustomed to in MMORPGs, you'll instantly feel connected to the characters you create in Vindictus.

On top of all this, you can easily map an XBox360 or PS3 controller for amazingly responsive controls, something you almost never see in a game of this type. In fact, the action is still far superior to high-budget titles like TERA (and much more user-friendly). If anyone's interested, I can even share my controller layout that I've tweaked over the course of two years. The only thing you need the mouse and keyboard for is menu/dialogue navigation in-town, but if you're a PC purist and prefer keyboard controls by default, they're good too.

Vindictus also mixes in elements from Demon's Souls and Monster Hunter without feeling too much like either, its projectile-using characters almost lend an FPS playstyle to the affair, and all of the trap dungeons and procedurally-generated maps add serious replay value to all stages. It's still pretty approachable though. Just talk to people in town to activate story missions and side quests, go to the local docks to either launch your own boat or join one that's been set up already, and deploy to the location of your choice based on given objectives. Boom, you're there in the thick of the action, solo or with up to four players, with no long treks through the woods necessary. The community is surprisingly good-natured and helpful, and if you get tired of running missions, there are also mini-games, enormous boss raids, optional challenge dungeons, bonus goals, mineral mining, a fishing system, and even CTF-style PvP.

If you're in need of something free and fun on PC (and who isn't?), try it out. I'll be happy to hook up with newcomers if you need help on dungeon runs.

vindictus02sm.jpg

And there's no better time to get into this thing. Season 2 is just around the corner, with new character Vella to balance out the current selection:

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Going to have to pass on this one, I'm afraid. I only have enough free time for one MMO-ish game, and your previous cheerleading for GW2 means it will have that spot occupied for the foreseeable future. :p

J2fold

Jul 28, 2012
Is it just me? Because I don't see the correlation between Pinball Arcade and this game seems to come way out of left field.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Going to have to pass on this one, I'm afraid. I only have enough free time for one MMO-ish game, and your previous cheerleading for GW2 means it will have that spot occupied for the foreseeable future. :p

Rightfully so. Nothing I have to say about Vindictus should detract from the greatness of Guild Wars 2, but the two are very different animals. I should hesitate to even call Vindictus an MMORPG, but it doesn't really fit into an existing genre.

That's why it's in the "Off Topic" forum.

Thanks for saving me the trouble, Jeff.

In actuality, I just wanted to share with the members of this community that can appreciate a rare video game project. Like The Pinball Arcade, Vindictus' success and much of its content relies on the involvement of a loyal online community. The game has grown and improved by leaps and bounds over the last two years. I know Ryan, Seren, Bavel, and several others here enjoy a good PC MMO. And since Vindictus is both unique and free, I thought some forum members might want to give it a go, especially since many of us straddle the console-PC fence more than typical gamers (which is a blend that Vindictus has mastered quite well).

Also, much like TPA, it's staggering to see a game of such high quality being produced as a non-retail, 100% digital distribution release. In the current video game climate, where high-dollar blockbusters and cookie-cutter sequels reign supreme, it's almost hard to believe stuff like this even exists.

Perhaps the most impressive part is the character customization. Below is a pic of the same Level 26 Fiona from the original post (my current of 4 characters), but with a mix of equipment from 7 different gear sets:

hammerfiona.jpg

Last edited:

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
And lastly, here's the control layout that I mapped on Vindictus. If you're using a PS3 DualShock3, you will need to use MotioninJoy to create a configuration outside of the game, then make sure it's enabled before starting the client. XBox360 controllers have a default setup in Vindictus, which is fairly similar to the one I use here:

vindictuscontrols.jpg

Like I said, this layout covers 99% of anything you'd use in combat. Dialogue and other menu navigation will require use of a keyboard and mouse, but that's only in towns and can be done one-handed without laying the controller down.

J2fold

Jul 28, 2012
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? There is an "off topic forum?" Let me see *scrolls down to the bottom of the forum topics for the first time*.....mumbles, "sorry!"

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
looks interesting =) but I too am so busy I barely have time to play gw2. There are three of us now on Tarnished coast (Mike, Jason, and I) with a hand full of other friends I have yanked in... though I rarely get a good stretch of time to play. Fuuun game though, thanks again for the recommendation Joshua!

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
looks interesting =) but I too am so busy I barely have time to play gw2. There are three of us now on Tarnished coast (Mike, Jason, and I) with a hand full of other friends I have yanked in... though I rarely get a good stretch of time to play. Fuuun game though, thanks again for the recommendation Joshua!

Thanks for the shoutout, guys. To be honest, I seem to have more time to talk about games than actually play them recently. Keeping up with the forums is pretty easy-access, since I've got an IT job, but trying to sit down to an MMO has been a little tougher. I love both GW2 and Vindictus, but thankfully, TPA still offers an alternative with a lower time commitment. Maybe this weekend I'll have the chance to level my Mesmer and my Hammer Fiona!

joshuakadmonvindictus3.jpg

Man, Vindictus may not do everything as well as GW2, but it's hard to deny that the custom armoring system is freakin' awesome!!

Last edited:

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Ugh... Vindictus needs an infusion of intelligent players. The differences between their forums and this one are like night and day. For those of you who enjoy action RPGs or DMC-esque third-person action, please give it a try during this Level 50 Rush Event ('til October 31st). I'd rather be playing with the cool cats from this community than dealing with all the dang children that downloaded Vindictus through Steam because mommy wouldn't pay for WoW anymore...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.