Things that are wrong compared to real game.

The-Noid

Oct 18, 2012
Had some time to play TPA version of MM comparing it to the real game. Feel free to add any others. Hopefully these can be fixed.

1.) The trolls need to move or deaden the ball when hit. The trolls create more SDTM on TPA because they do not reflex back when hit, they are solid objects in the game. When playing on the real machine the give in the trolls, even if small diverts the ball bringing it back on the flipper. At the angle the trolls are setup on TPA and them being solid, you get many more SDTM balls. Trolls shots are actually very forgiving on the real MM and on TPA create horrible SDTMs.
2.) The moat shot to the left entrance of the castle is hit significantly more on TPA than the real game. It is also a much easier shot. Balls hit poorly still go into the castle, instead of being stopped in the moat.
3.) Ramp speed of right ramp fails to slow ball when hits the stop directly over the inlane. The ball drops on the real game and comes out into the inlane slowly. It accelerates in TPA.
4.) Missed left ramp shots hug the side of the ramp due to gravity. In TPA they come down the middle of the ramp causing SDTM. This may be a physics engine issue.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Do troll hits register if hit from behind like they do in TPA? In other words, you shoot the castle gates and as the ball rolls back, it hits the back of a troll. In TPA this counts as a troll hit, but when I watched a PAPA video it didn't seem to count. Seeing as how you have this machine, care to comment? :D

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Troll hits should only count from the front. There are a few targets in TPA that register hits from any direction when only a front hit should activate the switch (orange Hocus Pocus switch in ToM for example).

The-Noid

Oct 18, 2012
Do troll hits register if hit from behind like they do in TPA? In other words, you shoot the castle gates and as the ball rolls back, it hits the back of a troll. In TPA this counts as a troll hit, but when I watched a PAPA video it didn't seem to count. Seeing as how you have this machine, care to comment? :D

The switch blade will occasionally register a hit from behind, it is not however every time. The design of the trolls is somewhat complex. Switch blade to micro switch. I think it would be difficult to emulate...

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
The switch blade will occasionally register a hit from behind, it is not however every time. The design of the trolls is somewhat complex. Switch blade to micro switch. I think it would be difficult to emulate...
They can at least change the SDTM problem. It's frustrating and not true to the real machine. Of course, there are a lot of other physics problems, as this was the first DLC, and thus uses an early physics build.
As for the ease of hitting the moat shot, that's part of making the tables easier intentionally. There's an entire thread dealing with that.

TripleT

Sep 23, 2012
When those trolls pop up I never go for them head on. Random hits from other angles seems like the best bet to me.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Trolls for me always has been a problem even on a real MM table - when they're up and you hit the castle behind them, SDTM is a real possibility. Especially if the gate is down (though even normally hitting the gate has a good chance of SDTM)

Unless you need the trolls, it's safest to wait them out.

Then again, maybe our machines were maladjusted. So much rides on the pin being absolutely level.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.