Are slingshot really this annoying?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
On real machines, I don't remember slingshots pissing me off as much as on these sims. It's as if whenever the ball touches one, 90% of the time it means death. "Oh look, ball headed towards slingshot, AND there it goes directly to the outlane. Surprise surprise. Oh, here's another one. Oh, it just hit it to the other slingshot, oh, and now there it goes directly to the outlane. Surprise surprise.

Hell, even when the ball just casually touches the top of one, it gets magically guided to the frikkin' outlane. I mean c'mon!!!

Rant rant rant. Ok, I feel better now. Not really.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
On real machines, I don't remember slingshots pissing me off as much as on these sims. It's as if whenever the ball touches one, 90% of the time it means death. "Oh look, ball headed towards slingshot, AND there it goes directly to the outlane. Surprise surprise. Oh, here's another one. Oh, it just hit it to the other slingshot, oh, and now there it goes directly to the outlane. Surprise surprise.

Hell, even when the ball just casually touches the top of one, it gets magically guided to the frikkin' outlane. I mean c'mon!!!

Rant rant rant. Ok, I feel better now. Not really.

Nudging is your friend. ;)

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Nudging is your friend. ;)

Which brings me to another thing that irks me. Those slingshots are so frikkin' strong, the ball flies so fast that nudging doesn't help without catlike reflexes. I mean Supercat. Heck, sometimes it's so fast, the magnets in TOM can't catch it. I can hear the magnets buzzing, all while watching the ball drain.

If Farsight ever gives us the option to change out the rubbers on those things, I'm doing it ASAP.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Which brings me to another thing that irks me. Those slingshots are so frikkin' strong, the ball flies so fast that nudging doesn't help without catlike reflexes. I mean Supercat. Heck, sometimes it's so fast, the magnets in TOM can't catch it. I can hear the magnets buzzing, all while watching the ball drain.
Try nudging to keep the ball off the slingshots in the first place. It's a fairly standard procedure for dealing with any table, real or virtual, that has hostile slingshots and/or unusually cruel outlanes. You can see a demonstration of the technique here from one of the folks at PAPA; it's about a minute and a half in.

EbortionXsrk

Apr 4, 2012
I encountered this with Funhouse back during the WPBHOF days. I was frustrated with the deadliness of a slingshot. A few days later I was playing on a real Funhouse machine and realized that it wasn't just the game being unforgiving, it was how Funhouse was designed to be (unforgiving.) So, in short, yes slingshots can be that annoying. I think others who are also pinheads would agree.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts