Table and Wizard Goals

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Since I only have a PS3, I haven't been fortunate enough to play the pinball arcade yet. So, I decided to start this thread because I am really curious about what the goals for Black Hole are. I remember the ps2 version of the Gottlieb Collection had one goal where you had to spell out "BLACK" and "HOLE" in order and earn multiball in one game, which was just barely out of reach for me. When they came out with the Wii version, they made it so you just had to survive re-entry, which was way too easy.

And while we are discussing the goals on this machine, is there anyone who managed to complete them all? Which one(s) do you think was the most difficult?

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Standard goals:
Survive re-entry from the Lower Level
Lock a ball in the Upper Level
Advance the G-Force Accelerator to 1G
Collect the Special from the Upper level
Score at least 250,000K from the Lower Level

Wizard goals:
Start three Ball Multi-Ball
Advance Bonus Multiplier to 5X
Earn an Extra Ball from the Captive Hole
Collect the Special from the Lower level
Score at least 500,000K from the Lower Level

Not really that difficult imo, the 500K takes a bit of work.

*edit* just noticed the typo: it says 500,000K and 250,000K while in fact it's 500K and 250K.. ;)

Last edited:

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Thanks a bunch! Certainly seems doable. Just one question. Does the 500,000/ 250,000 have to be done on one ball or is it all three balls combined?

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
You need to get the score in one game, key is to get the extra balls and the G-force multipliers.

SnapDragon

Apr 6, 2012
Actually, I think the 500k has to be done on one ball. In one game I got over 50k x5 on two different balls, and it didn't count. When I got over 100k x5 on one ball, it did.

It's not too bad if you just activate BLACK or HOLE and the spot targets before going down to the lower level; each hit on the lit lower left drop targets is worth 6k, so you just need to hit them 15 times or so and do the multiplier loop 4 times.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
I can also confirm that the 250k and 500k lower bonus goals must be done on a single ball (each). That could be clearer in the goal description.

Adam

Apr 5, 2012
I finished them all. They're not that bad, but the most frustrating one was getting the extra ball from the captive hole since it requires you to hit those stupid yellow targets on the right side before attempting to clear the targets on the bottom level on the left side, which the kicker down there really gets in the way of.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I've been playing this and earning 250K on the lower playfield is the only table goal that I have not completed. I even had multiball going while both G-Force accelerators were activated and all I got was around 30 or 40k. Am I missing something? Is it more important to get the multipliers, which I stink at getting? Any tips?

Last edited:

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
I don't consider myself great at this table, but I just posted a 2.5M where I let the last ball drain so I could save and leave. (By the way, what the **** were they thinking not letting you save your state and come back to it? The leaderboards on games like Space Shuttle will be testaments to endurance.)

Bump your G-force up to 1 by completing either BLACK or HOLE drops. That will persist across balls. You can double down by completing them both, but it will reset if you drain. So that's a risk/reward type deal. After you have G-force, go through the gravity tunnel, into the lower field. Forget about using the rollovers to up your multiplier; they lack a lane-change feature making them a tilt risk. It's way easier to up the bonus multiplier by hammering the right orbit downstairs. In fact, make that your first order of business.

Once you have G-force and 5x, focus on calmly playing the lower field. If you find it easy to get up the gravity tunnel you may as well lock a ball in the lower field just for the points. Apart from that, focus on completing the drop target banks over and over while trying to avoid the jet bumpers - not so much because they close the gate as because they fling the ball between your flippers. In fact, forget about the gate. Once you have G-force, go down there with the full intention of dying in outer space. If you happen to drain with the gate open, well then great. Get back down there. But there's no reason to intentionally re-enter the upper field unless you accidentally went through the gravity tunnel without G-force.

If you still have a hard time reaching 50k (all you need with the 5x multiplier) like this then the next thing to consider would be completing the bank of spot targets on the upper field to light the left bank down below (making it worth loads more points; don't recall the exact values). However, this will increase your setup time per try substantially because those spot targets can be tough shots. It's also worth noting that this strategy may warrant consideration anyway because in the wizard goals you have to get 500,000 on one bonus.

Also, if this isn't clear, both goals require you to get the bonus on a single ball, not cumulative across all balls in a game. This isn't actually stated in the goal description.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Thanks. That is really good advice. I actually got the 250K shortly after I posted that, but I definitely will use your tips to get the 500K. What I find frustrating is trying to get the extra ball from the captive hole. I am pretty sure I did that before I completed the Standard Goals, and now I can't quite do it. Oh, well. Maybe I just have to curse at the TV some more. Maybe throw a remote or two through the screen. Then I will get it.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
I am too stupid... How do you "Collect the Special"? First you hit the drop targets in the lower level, right? And then?

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
There are two specials, one on the upper and one on the lower level. The table instructions are pretty clear about how to get them.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Alright, got it finally. Black Hole is a beast, I doubt that I will ever complete the wizard goals but I am satisfied that the standard goals are done. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.