TPA Wii U version info?

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Hey, so PS3 version has some issues, 360 versions has some issues (MS being maybe the biggest one), and the Wii U drops in about 2 weeks. Does anyone (FS, PinWiz, others in the more-well-informed-than-I-on-such) know how close to launch it's going to hit Wii U (assuming it's still coming)? Which packs will be available when it does launch (game, not system)? How will the graphics stack up? I've got mine pre-ordered, and as a 360 TPA owner, I'm more than a little frustrated with that whole thing, and I'm wondering if the Wii U version might actually be the best-case scenario. Possibility of 100% of 360/PS3 graphical quality, ability to play using triggers, bumpers, or touch-screen, ability to play on the Wii U Gamepad (that's the tablet controller for anyone that wasn't sure) even when away from the TV (ala iPad), possibility that Nintendo will be easier to deal with than MS (almost undoubtedly) and Sony, making table pack releases more reliable. Possibility of no flipper lag.

Maybe all wishful thinking, but it is enough to keep me from pulling the trigger on the PS3 version with it's issues, at least until I know something.

I can't be the only one who's been wondering about this as Nov. 18 grows closer.

Hopefully someone (cough**FS**cough) will share some info.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
We don't have dates yet. We will let everyone know once we find out.

Thanks, Mike. Nothing to go on, but at least someone from FS said something... even if the something was basically nothing.

Doesn't exactly breed a lot of hope that the Wii U version is something they are particularly excited about... which through extension makes it seem less likely that it will be all that it can be. Would be nice if it was the new "best version" of each table platform, for the reasons listen in my OP.

esp2000

Jun 4, 2012
Mike, thank you for the information. I am looking at purchasing a Wii U and running TPA on this platform is one of the things that has me excisted to see. You guys are awesome and I really appreciate all of the hard work you have been doing on such a wonderful game.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Wii U will be my other platform of choice besides iOS (for my Kickstarter rewards) so I'm quite keen.

I'm hoping to get a Wii U for launch day and I very much hope PBA will be amongst my first downloads!

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I can add that we have it running on Wii-U. And we are excited about releasing it.

Okay, that returned some of my optimism! Here's hoping it's available pretty close to launch, and at least up to Table Pack #6 with it.

Any chance Mike, that you can tell us how it's running compared to the PS3/360 versions? Anything more really would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I haven't seen it recently, but I believe the rendering tech is similar to PS3. I know the engine guy was finishing up the post processing.

I would imagine once it's finished up we'll post screenshots or video.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah, I've actually avoided buying TPA on my PS3, preferring to just play on Android and wait for Wii U... I know the Wii U will be setup in my living room for the next 6 years, which I can't be sure about with PS3.

It is a promising version, considering that the platform is said to be superior to PS3 and 360 and we can play on the TV or controller alone. I remember when the Wii U version was first announced early last year, you guys had said that owners could expect something special with this version... I hope that is still the case.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, I've actually avoided buying TPA on my PS3, preferring to just play on Android and wait for Wii U... I know the Wii U will be setup in my living room for the next 6 years, which I can't be sure about with PS3.

It is a promising version, considering that the platform is said to be superior to PS3 and 360 and we can play on the TV or controller alone. I remember when the Wii U version was first announced early last year, you guys had said that owners could expect something special with this version... I hope that is still the case.

Considering the PS3 and 360 are both well over half a decade old now, I sure as hell hope the Wii-U has better specs. It's not a huge accomplishment when you look at modern gaming PCs.

I never get rid of old consoles, though. I still have all my Sega stuff hooked up to my TV.

esp2000

Jun 4, 2012
Can't wait to see what is in store for the Wii U version. I am still trying to get a preorder in for a unit myself.

Mar 9, 2012
Considering the PS3 and 360 are both well over half a decade old now, I sure as hell hope the Wii-U has better specs. It's not a huge accomplishment when you look at modern gaming PCs.

I never get rid of old consoles, though. I still have all my Sega stuff hooked up to my TV.

some game companies have said the Wii U isn't as powerful as a PS3 or an Xbox360.. Epic said it won't be able to run the next Unreal Engine.. so who knows..

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
It's definitely more powerful than 360 and PS3 but not substantially so... when Sony and MS reveal their next-gen consoles, it will probably look dated just as the first Wii did. I'm hoping the controller functionality will be worth the loss in specs.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
I'm hoping the controller functionality will be worth the loss in specs.

It won't be. :( It's a resistive, single-touch screen like the lower screen on the DS and 3DS. In 2012, now that most people (who are in any danger of purchasing a Wii U, anyway) have had at least some experience with a capacitive, multi-touch screen like those on smartphones and tablets, this is going to feel even more dated and restrictive than it did on the handhelds. Not only can it not register more than one contact at a time, but you have to either use a stylus, which feels about as dated as a Palm Pilot (remember those?), or else press pretty forcefully with your finger / fingernail.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Its supposed to be more responsive than a 3DS/DS screen from the impressions I've read... works just fine with your fingers, just doesn't do multi-touch. I don't know... I'm actually the least excited about buying this console as I've ever been, but I love Nintendo games. It's just the cost of admission to keep playing their software. Haha.

androidlove

Aug 23, 2012
I love playing the Williams Collection on the Wii. I like that I can put my arms apart like a real table. I like the responsiveness and realism of the nudging. I have no plans to buy a Wii U. It looks like a gimmick to me, as the 3DS is. I assume I won't be able to play TPA on a Wii without the U.

We have an Xbox 360 that was only used for Portal. I just tried TPA on it. It's not as good as the Wii experience.

BTW, there are many recent things about MS that make me love my Android device even more. I hope Nintendo doesn't go the way of MS.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

From what I've read the Wii-U is not a leap beyond current gen. In fact if this were the case we would probably see every game released in native 1080p and tht isn't the case thus far.

Just remember, better specs does not equal better games!
And no offense to Farsight, but I don't think TPA is pushing the PS3 to the likes of which it's never seen. ;)
Uncharted 3 might have been the one to do that, but after seeing trailers for The Last of Us and Beyond 2 Souls, those might take the cake.

I hear you on not getting rid of old consoles though. I still have every console since the Atari 2600 all connected and ready to play. Great games are timeless. :)

I chose the PS3 as my TPA platform of choice and overall I am happy with it.
Sony has said and proven in the past that they will support their consoles for at least 10 years so no worries there man.

Though Sony may get a bad rap for PSN releasing/approvals etc, Nintendo is known for being very strict and doesn't like companies to bundle or offer any types of sales on games so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I pre-ordered a Wii-U Deluxe, but I hope most games don't require the use of the LCD controller.
I am a fan of good old joysticks and buttons. I was originally wondering how the Wii-U could enhance TPA and the only thing I could think of was to have the DMD displays on the LCD controller, but I think that might get a little confusing during a fast game to glance down at it.

Last edited:

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
I was originally wondering how the Wii-U could enhance TPA and the only thing I could think of was to have the DMD displays on the LCD controller, but I think that might get a little confusing during a fast game to glance down at it.

But... you could potentially use the Wii-U's secondary xbox style controller whilst the Wii-U main gamepad functions solely as the DMD?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.