Scared Stiff Art Issues

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
A few art issues I've noticed on the iOS version of Scared Stiff:

• The spider and the part of the backglass it spins on, as well as the inserts for the different awards, have extremely low-resolution textures, especially compared to the high-resolution Scared Stiff logo and Elvira.
  • The skill shot light is blue. On the real Scared Stiff, it's white. The same for the Tele-Pathetic Power light in the right outlane. (Although I actually like the blue better and would not be opposed to leaving it alone.)
  • The lighting bolts emanating from the remote are white when lit. On the real SS, they're a much more saturated yellow-orange.
  • The Bony Beast tale light has yellow letters when unlit that magically become the same color red as the clear parts of the insert when lit.
  • The "eyes" on the crate are yellow. On the real SS, they're red.
iPad 3 / iOS 6

Also, could one of the forum mods look at the Art Discussion forum? I tried to post this there, since it's an art issue rather than a bug, but the forum kept demanding I choose a thread prefix without displaying the box for me to select a thread prefix, which makes it hard to post...

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I made a test thread there and it seemed to work ok, so I'm not sure why it acted up on you. I'll have Gord take a peek and see if he has any ideas. Thanks for letting us know. I moved the thread over for you as well.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
A few art issues I've noticed on the iOS version of Scared Stiff:

• The spider and the part of the backglass it spins on, as well as the inserts for the different awards, have extremely low-resolution textures, especially compared to the high-resolution Scared Stiff logo and Elvira.
  • The skill shot light is blue. On the real Scared Stiff, it's white. The same for the Tele-Pathetic Power light in the right outlane. (Although I actually like the blue better and would not be opposed to leaving it alone.)
  • The lighting bolts emanating from the remote are white when lit. On the real SS, they're a much more saturated yellow-orange.
  • The Bony Beast tale light has yellow letters when unlit that magically become the same color red as the clear parts of the insert when lit.
  • The "eyes" on the crate are yellow. On the real SS, they're red.
iPad 3 / iOS 6

Also, could one of the forum mods look at the Art Discussion forum? I tried to post this there, since it's an art issue rather than a bug, but the forum kept demanding I choose a thread prefix without displaying the box for me to select a thread prefix, which makes it hard to post...

Same issues on Android.

To add to this, the entire back plastic mylar with lightning bolts, and the two flasher bulb claws is missing completely.

See http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...ugs-And-Feedback?p=35826&viewfull=1#post35826 for details.

Last edited:

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
For a developer that claims to be trying to authentically reproduce these tables that seems like a lot of mistakes. Especially considering they supposedly break down a real table to make sure to get it right. So how is it possible that table after table they continue to get it wrong? It really seems to me that they don't really care about the quality of their product at all.

I also found this interesting from the link above.
I have been told to go ahead and release what we have since there was nothing catastrophic and we will update as soon as possible.

Is he basically saying "We know it is glitchey, but we are going to sell it anyway"?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Is he basically saying "We know it is glitchey, but we are going to sell it anyway"?

Annoying yes but unfortunately that sentence sums up the whole games industry. Game devs release games with obvious bugs and glitches that there is no way they didn't know about all the time. I'm not saying its acceptable, just that they ALL do it.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Annoying yes but unfortunately that sentence sums up the whole games industry. Game devs release games with obvious bugs and glitches that there is no way they didn't know about all the time. I'm not saying its acceptable, just that they ALL do it.

True. This seems to be a common practice and not just Farsight. My problem is that Farsight doesn't ever seem to go back and actually fix anything though. If they did then I really wouldn't have any problem with them.

Jason Juneau

FarSight Employee
Aug 10, 2012
We are aware of the resolution issues on the backglass area of Scared Stiff. Scared Stiff is a very organic table which made it difficult to keep the polycount down, at the risk of losing the resolution on the table assets where most of the game is played we decided to take the quality loss in the backglass. I understand this is a bad excuse, I know that. I am working to make sure you guys will not have to stare at the low rez backglass for too long. Thanks for all the feedback.

PinBalt

Apr 8, 2012
IOS Issue: Missing Posts on the flipper lanes! I noticed that the bone plastics for the flipper lanes are floating in the air! You can see the light bulbs underneath them but there are missing posts that should be holding up the bone plastics. You can see the empty holes in the playfield next to the light bulbs in the flipper lanes.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
We are aware of the resolution issues on the backglass area of Scared Stiff. Scared Stiff is a very organic table which made it difficult to keep the polycount down, at the risk of losing the resolution on the table assets where most of the game is played we decided to take the quality loss in the backglass. I understand this is a bad excuse, I know that. I am working to make sure you guys will not have to stare at the low rez backglass for too long. Thanks for all the feedback.

So is this why the PS Vita version looks worse than any other table ? You have to keep polygons down or the framerate goes below 30 fps or whatever the desired framerate is? Or did something go terribly wrong at the conversion stage that only manifested after the DLC installs?

uRFcSw2.jpg

The PSVita users would like some kind of statement why our Elvira Scared Stiff table looks as bad as it does , is the art department proud of that one? If it's agreed it could and should look better ? when can we expect a update that is equal to the quality of the core tables on Vita?

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013

That makes sense to me, looking at the table geometry involved. I would have thought that polycount would also be an issue on Monster Bash, given the number of monster toy figures etc. How does this look on the Vita?

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
That makes sense to me, looking at the table geometry involved. I would have thought that polycount would also be an issue on Monster Bash, given the number of monster toy figures etc. How does this look on the Vita?

Not bad really , the toys aren't that great but so small you barely notice that. The graphics seemed in focus and framerate was decent . Only after Creature From The Black Lagoon , did DLC tables start taking a serious dive in quality .

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Only after Creature From The Black Lagoon , did DLC tables start taking a serious dive in quality .

That's a shame. It's a concern that FarSight seem to be struggling to maintain quality across all these platforms. Perhaps more time between table releases is required.

starck

Jun 7, 2012
I'm on PS3 over here. Noticed some low resolution on the front of the machine where the key/quarters would go- the whole front, including the art on that piece of the machine, looks low resolution.

How to see this- when the camera is zoomed out into plunger view (i.e., when one is about to plunge the ball) - take a careful look.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Not bad really , the toys aren't that great but so small you barely notice that. The graphics seemed in focus and framerate was decent . Only after Creature From The Black Lagoon , did DLC tables start taking a serious dive in quality .

I would have to argue that the tables have seen a steep drop in quality since the very first DLC. BoP still has graphical issues that heavily impact gameplay, MM has the flipper gap issue and runs an atrocious framerate. Moving on to the second DLC pack, Funhouse has the checkerboard playfield and the capability to lose the ball and not recover it, and CV is a graphical mess with the ability to shoot the ball right through the main ramp. Gorgar and Monsterbash were alright, but then as you said the quality took an even bigger drop once BK and CFTBL came out.
Then when you think that things can't get any worse, we got Scared Stiff a table that manages to both look bad and run horribly as well.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
So is this why the PS Vita version looks worse than any other table ? You have to keep polygons down or the framerate goes below 30 fps or whatever the desired framerate is? Or did something go terribly wrong at the conversion stage that only manifested after the DLC installs?

uRFcSw2.jpg

The PSVita users would like some kind of statement why our Elvira Scared Stiff table looks as bad as it does , is the art department proud of that one? If it's agreed it could and should look better ? when can we expect a update that is equal to the quality of the core tables on Vita?

As a potential future PSVita customer, this is appalling. You sure you didn't capture this screenshot from the Nintendo 64 version? This is just. Wow.

Umm isn't a PSVita supposed to be more powerful than an iPhone. Like, significantly so? What the hell happened.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.