TZ Pricing and Release?

MichiganCubbie

Oct 31, 2012
From the News thread:

DLC Premium Table #1 Release Dates And Time Frames : The Twilight Zone should be available beginning late November 2012. Individual platform and device release time frames TBD.

What does "DLC Premium Table #1" mean? I thought Twilight Zone wasn't going to be any different from other tables. Are the price points going to be different?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
What does "DLC Premium Table #1" mean? I thought Twilight Zone wasn't going to be any different from other tables. Are the price points going to be different?
Twilight Zone's upfront licensing costs were paid for by the kickstarter, but there are also residual (per-unit) costs. As these costs are likely higher than "normal" licensed tables, TZ could very well end up at a higher price point. But nothing has been confirmed yet.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Depends how many they want to sell but judging by their recent decisions it'll probably be $20!

HOW

Feb 21, 2012

I really don't get why you thought that....
You expected all the KS supporters to subsidise it for you?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Why should it cost any more than any of the other more expensive tables? The licence has been paid for.

MichiganCubbie

Oct 31, 2012
I really don't get why you thought that....
You expected all the KS supporters to subsidise it for you?

I swore I saw an interview where they mentioned wanting to not have Twilight Zone be more expensive than the other tables. Also, Kickstarter was for the securing of licensing rights. The table was quite literally subsidized by Kickstarter. However, the actual production and digitation of the machine is exactly the same as any other machine. Why would this one cost more?

Course they will, TZ will probably command a $3.99 pricetag by itself.

This makes sense to me, and it would make sense as to why it was paired with Genie, since I could easily see Genie going for 99 cents. My concerns are that it will be higher than 5 dollars by itself.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Why should it cost any more than any of the other more expensive tables? The licence has been paid for.
Only the upfront cost of the license has been paid for via kickstarter, not the residual part. The kickstarter did not pay for the entire licensing cost. The residual part remains and is quite likely more expensive than the residuals for something like RBION or Elvira.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
This makes sense to me, and it would make sense as to why it was paired with Genie, since I could easily see Genie going for 99 cents. My concerns are that it will be higher than 5 dollars by itself.

No, it would not make sense to pair it with Genie. I thought the whole deal with it was that this would be Novembers DLC, The Twilight Zone and nothing else. No other table pack has been announced as yet and PinWiz has clearly written Premium Table #1 to differentiate between Table Packs and this table.

If there's going to be a 'pack' then it will be separate from the Twilight Zone DLC (I dunno, Attack from Mars and Space Shuttle or something). This way it makes it much easier to pair DLC in the stores by counting the Twilight Zone as a 'pack' but not having another table in it.

IOS/Android have shown that it's possible to pair two packs together in an update (whether intentional or not, we managed to get #5 and #6 in the end) so it should be possible if they decide to do that.

But don't seriously expect a table to be paired with The Twilight Zone, they'd surely have to secure an individual license for selling the DLC as a 'pack' too if so. It really wouldn't be just an extra dollar.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Including TZ (and by extension, STTNG) in a pack will mess up the Kickstarter rewards (especially on consoles). Most of us (myself included) will pay full pack price for only TZ. It would also diminish the importance of such a high-profile license. It deserves to be by itself, they've nothing to gain from pairing it with another table, except perhaps less complaining on Facebook, but they'll probably just find something else to complain about, such as the other table in the pack. In short, don't get too disappointed when they sell it at full price by itself, though we'll know for sure next month (or this month after midnight tonight).

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I would pay $10 for it but would expect it to be free of any major bugs or art problems. Even at $5 I'm going to expect something better than their average release.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I would pay $10 for it but would expect it to be free of any major bugs or art problems. Even at $5 I'm going to expect something better than their average release.

I just hope the beta testers are slamming it hard!

I couldn't afford the $100 to get beta access, so the backers that did have an important job to perform.

Test hard. Test deep. Concentrate on how the powerball is handled.

Your efforts will make a difference.

karl

May 10, 2012
Serenseven Has some very good points. CBS gets a part of the profit (probably more than on other tables with extra licenses like Elvira) not only the upfront license cost so the price for TZ will likely be about the same as a 2 pack(just a guess) and pairing it with another table do not make much sense.(and if they were doing that we would have heard about it by now) I know expectations of less bugs etc will be higher if you payed up front, but lets be realistic here. The time frame for making the table is the same as any other tables and TZ is one of the busiest, most complex tables there is. We payed upfront so that they could make the table, not to have a super duper trooper extra polished table that looks and plays 10 times better than other tables (that would take a year extra to complete). Pretty confident that they have but a few extra hours into it and that it will be a wonderful release though, But no point in having sky high expectations, better to be positively surprised. I was a bit disappointed by NGG so my expectations for table pack 7 was a little lower than usual. Lo and behold, table pack 7 is probably one of my favorites so far. The EM physics alone just blew me away.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.