Android - Bug FarSight official test. dept. Thread

Stephen Snow

FarSight Employee
Oct 11, 2012
Hey everyone, I know most of you are familiar with Ryan, our Android developer. I'd like to introduce myself, some of you know me from the iOS beta forum. My name is Steve, I'm in testing, and I'm taking a bit of the load off of Ryan by following this forum and trying to reproduce any reported bugs. Any bugs that I can reproduce will make it directly to our bug tracker, which is a much more efficient means for our heavily worked programmers to evaluate and prioritize bug fixes. On that note, I'd like to have a list of what you as a community are experiencing as reproducible bugs. If I don't know the conditions, or at least some way to attempt to reproduce them, I can't give the programmers enough info to do anything about them. That being said, lets see what you all have so far. I've been looking back through the threads here, but it would be much easier if everyone would use this thread for the worst offenders still present in the newest build (table pack 7). I look forward to hearing from all of you, thanks for supporting our game, and feel free to PM me, or you can email me at support@farsightstudios.com

Stephen Snow

FarSight Employee
Oct 11, 2012
On this particular forum, yes. However, please feel free to email me with any bug for ANY platform, as I test for all systems.

Stephen Snow

FarSight Employee
Oct 11, 2012
It is, with one major difference, the emphasis on frequent/reproducible bugs. It is extremely important to provide all steps available to reproduce when posting, and rather than clarifying that in the existing thread, I decided it would be good to have a fresh start. I am still watching every thread I can, but having a central location with those 2 very important considerations helps you as a community, and us as a producer.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Are you looking for all bugs (graphical, core and gameplay) or just strictly gameplay?

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks guys for your cooperation with Stephen =) he has done a great job improving the overall test cycle and bug reporting process. I will still be about, but my workload the next month will make it near impossible to give you guys the attention that you deserve, and anyhow this should be a more efficient way of doing things.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Ryan & Stephen,

Wanted to let you guys know about something we're going to do that should make your lives easier :)

From now on, we are going to have two separate threads for each release/update on each platform:

1.) A thread strictly for reporting bugs.
2.) Another thread for feedback and impressions.

Anything posted in the bug thread that isn't a bug will be moved or deleted.

Also, when posting a bug, we will ask that you please use this format:

Device/OS: (not needed for consoles)

Bug Description:

Steps to reproduce:

Frequency:

Additional comments:

N

Nik Barbour

Device/OS: HTC Desire S / Miui 2.4.20 gingerbread

Bug Description: Black Knight - immediately after plunge, hold upper right flipper out. Ball comes out on upper level, rolls down the held out upper right flipper, rolls towards the left, over the upper left flipper (inactive) and hits an invisible stop at approx point where upper left flipper pivots. It then bounces back and rolls towards the right.

Steps to reproduce: as above

Frequency: every time 100% reproducible

Additional comments: ball can roll over this point, other than plunge.
Doesn't do this on real table. Doesn't do this on JPSalas's VP9 table.
It bugs the cr@p out of me:)

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

Device/OS: HTC Desire S / Miui 2.4.20 gingerbread

Bug Description: Big Shot - views 1 & 4 are too close, can't see outlanes in portrait.

In portrait view 3, flippers obscured by large 'ball in play' counter.
In Landscape - can't see entire upper right of table due to the large score display. Landscape is unplayable.

Hud on / off in options doesn't do anything.

I think a cap or something is missing from ball end of plunger (not sure about this - tried IPDB but no luck. It just looks a bit blunt like something is missing)

Steps to reproduce: as above

Frequency: N/A

Additional comments: none

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Crate Multiball Bug

You've probably already seen this one come through support@, Stephen. But I'll add it to this thread for tracking.

Device

ASUS Transformer TF300T, JB, Stock Rom

Bug Description

When you shoot two balls into the crate within <1 second of each other, the two balls clatter/vibrate and award the crate jackpot multiple times.

Reproducable

100%

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Start Crate multiball.
  2. Cradle two balls on the flippers.
  3. In quick succession, shoot both balls into The Crate.
  4. Observe behavior.

Actual behavior

The balls make a clattering noise, and the crate jackpot is awarded over and over and over again. The timing of the award is the same frequency as the clattering of the balls in The Crate's ball trough.

Expected behavior

When the balls touch while in The Crate, the associated collision issues do not cause the virtual sensor to award multiple jackpots in error.

Additional information

I was talking to Mike Reitmeyer in the Pinball Arcade Forums, and the abridged log of that conversation is included below (hopefully it give QA a starting point for debugging:

(11:20:19 AM) jaredmorgs: That bug I'm talking about MikeReitmeyer relates to Android.
(11:20:19 AM) jaredmorgs: I had two balls sitting in the crate clattering away and triggering the crate jackpot over and over and over.
(11:20:33 AM) jaredmorgs: Would have got at least 20 jackpot awards from the bug
(11:21:10 AM) jaredmorgs: The balls were only ejected when (somehow) they "settled" down and the animation could complete.
(11:21:20 AM) MikeReitmeyer: Hard to say what the issue is until I can reproduce it.
(11:21:38 AM) jaredmorgs: I've been trying to replicate it again, but you know what happens when you try to replicate a bug.
(11:21:44 AM) jaredmorgs: You can NEVER do it.
(11:21:55 AM) MikeReitmeyer: yeah, thats the biggest issue I have
(11:22:05 AM) jaredmorgs: To replicate the issue, shoot two balls into the crate during Crate multiball.
(11:22:19 AM) jaredmorgs: you need to be able to get both balls in within seconds of each other
(11:22:40 AM) MikeReitmeyer: sounds like it could be a collision type issue
(11:22:44 AM) jaredmorgs: so they both sit in the crate trough activating the sensors
(11:22:50 AM) jaredmorgs: I think that could be it MikeReitmeyer
(11:23:08 AM) jaredmorgs: Or it could be how the virtual sensors are spaced in the trough and the popper chute
(11:23:52 AM) MikeReitmeyer: either, if it only happens if both balls go in at similar time it could be they are getting stuck in the
(11:25:06 AM) jaredmorgs: MikeReitmeyer: Can you manually place balls in the trough in developer mode to test the switch edges?
(11:25:39 AM) MikeReitmeyer: We have a few different tools. One is our ball control mode where we can move balls around
(11:25:57 AM) MikeReitmeyer: Another is a cannon that we can place ball(s) at locations and fire them off in directions at speeds we control
(11:26:06 AM) jaredmorgs: I was able to get the bug to occur twice in one game. Under the same two ball conditions. if that is any help MikeReitmeyer
(11:26:16 AM) MikeReitmeyer: And another is what we call a switch test, where we can move the ball from switch to switch to see if they set them.
(11:26:30 AM) MikeReitmeyer: And finally we have something for displaying all the switch numbers

(11:26:43 AM) jaredmorgs: Would be interesting to test how multiple balls in the trough behave using those methods MikeReitmeyer
(11:27:22 AM) MikeReitmeyer: The cannon is good for testing to make sure the ball doesn't go through stuff
(11:28:19 AM) jaredmorgs: should I raise that observation officially with support@
(11:28:35 AM) MikeReitmeyer: always a good idea to send to support, even if you post in forums

Stephen Snow

FarSight Employee
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks everyone, this is all much more useful information. I've been doing some hefty testing on ps3 and vita today, but I'll make sure these get to our bug tracking system ASAP. Keep em coming, I'll be checking here at least once a day.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.