Whats the worst score you got on this table?

K

Korven

A few days ago I had a game of 13,570 thinking it can't get any worse than this, and just now I ended up with 9,620. What is your worst score?

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
last night i had 90,000 on my "first" ball (including one extra ball) and at the end of the game my score was 97,000. which i mean, ok, fairly average final score, but to haave my final four balls total 7,000 ... so sadface.

Last edited:

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
Something just below 11k has been my worst yet. And I'd be glad if 97k was "fairly average" for me. o_O

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
This is a challenge! Since this is (by more modern standards) a rare table on which a score of zero is actually possible, I wonder how easy it is to manage to do it.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Or maybe tilt, plunge, repeat. I mean, if you do this on other tables, then most likely you'll score. So tilt first. :p

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Without tilting, 30 points.

Yes, 30. 2 balls went straight into the middle (though I didn't hit the flippers). ANd the other 3 hit the slingshot first.

It's theoretically possible to get zero without tilting. But very hard. I can get it where the first 3 balls score 0 points, but the next one usually ends up getting down one of the upper rollovers.

FurVid

Feb 20, 2012
Note that zero score on a ball isn't supposed to be possible without tilting. It should should just put it back in the plunger without charging you. On some games it was often useful to let the ball drop on purpose if it hadn't hit a switch yet, to get another chance at the skill shot.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Note that zero score on a ball isn't supposed to be possible without tilting. It should should just put it back in the plunger without charging you. On some games it was often useful to let the ball drop on purpose if it hadn't hit a switch yet, to get another chance at the skill shot.

Really, even on old EMs?

I thought Funhouse was one of the first tables to have any kind of ball-saver (though it's stingy enough that you rarely see it; later tables got much more generous).

FurVid

Feb 20, 2012
It's different than a "ball saver" which can give you an extra chance at a crappy ball, even if you do hit a few switches.

In this case, the ball is in the plunger lane, and the next thing the game knows, it's in the trough. So, did it actually travel down the whole table and drain? Or maybe what happened is it was too lightly plunged and fell back leftward into the trough after bouncing off the plunger tip - remember the machine can't see or feel the ball, it only knows about switches being closed. So since it can't be sure what happened, it'll activate the coil to try to put it into the plunger lane again without charging a ball. At least, that's what I've always assumed was going on. Maybe it just feels sorry for me.

Note that although you can put extra switches in the trough to figure out which side the ball came in on, pretty much every SS game works this way as well. Even on my High Speed machine (which predates Funhouse by a few years), if I drain without hitting a switch (which is hard to do on that machine unless you have a crappy spring or some broken switches), it'll give me a new ball for no charge. The game definitely must know that it's not the same ball it's kicking out, since there are multiple switches in the trough area, but it's free anyway. Again, my assumption here is that the EM era had established a precedent that no-score balls deserved a mulligan, and the rule was kept even when it wasn't physically or logically a requirement.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Really, even on old EMs?

I thought Funhouse was one of the first tables to have any kind of ball-saver (though it's stingy enough that you rarely see it; later tables got much more generous).

I believe for Funhouse, you need to score 0 points on the ball for the saver to activate. Or very little.

It's hard not to notice, Rudy says 'You can have it back".

But yeah, the savers on later pins are much more generous, probably because with the complexity of newer SS ones, it's possible to plunge the ball, have it hit a few targets, then get shot SDTM or to the outlane without any player involvement or chance to intervene. Certainly had it happen a few times on some tables - hits the jets, flies SDTM without doing a thing.

Also why I like Williams tables over everyone else's - the ball saver timer doesn't start until after the ball gets released. I've had plays where I got super jets before the ball came down - it just kept rattling around. A regular ball saver would've long expired. A williams saver wouldn't - it doesn't start until the ball rolls down. (Williams also stops timers for stuff like animations and where the player doesn't have control of the ball, and they give a 1-2 second grace after the timer expires in case you JUST made the shot as the timer expired.

ClaudeHenrySmoot

Apr 27, 2012
I had a 0 point ball the other day. I can't remember if any sort of ball save kicked in. I just recall being STUNNED it was even possible to score "0" on a ball.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Yep, it misses the middle, then rolls straight down the middle. Happens every now and then.

On a modern pin, I don't think it's even possible to score zero anymore - there's so many things that score points that it's really only a set of broken switches that can do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts