Video recording of Ipad screen

Advalle

Jul 18, 2012
So i bought this app that records the screen called Reflection. If you want to record your pinball games dont buy it. It makes the device extremly slow because it sends the video to the pc via wireless, so it seems to take a bite on the processor, so the game play gets really chopy. Maybe good for a presentation or what not but not good for the PA.

Now what should i do? Oh, and the thing cost 15 bucks. So...

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Look on the interweb for a fix? Can it be plugged into a computer to avoid wireless transfer? There is a signal intercept device that sends to PC inline of the console etc. to TV but a little more than $15

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I can guarantee that the wireless transfer is not what causes the slowdown. To record the screen, the iPad must take every frame (or keyframe if it can be set to x frames per sec, which the app probably also restricts to between 5 and 10 anyway realistically), compress it down to something that won't take up rediculous amounts of space (this is where your cpu time is going) and then patch everything as a video.

You are right this app is good for presentations and not much else.

Your other option would be to grab the HDMI out cable (retarded expensive for an apple device), and run it through a video capture device (again pretty expensive) and have it pass through to your TV (i'm not sure if the ipad will show the image on it's own screen and out to HDMI at the same time).

Then you will need some video editing software to make sure that the video is oriented correctly if you're playing in portrait orientation

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
If your iPad is the iPad 2 or 3, you need to get the Digital A/V adapter. If it's a 4, or mini, you need to get the Lightning-to-HDMI adapter.

Then get a capture card (I think the Hauppage HD-PVR2 among others) with an HDMI input. The iPad will by default "mirror" the screen to the HDMI output, and you can then capture it using the capture card.

The alternative is simpler - using a diffuse light source, use a camera to record the screen directly.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
no version of the ipad has enough raw processing power to encode video while playing pinball. your best bet is a video out and recording off of that target device?

Sublime

Jul 26, 2012
I use Display Recorder from the Cydia store. It works pretty good, even with a lot of movement. You can adjust all of the settings to change quality and frames per second. Here's a quick demo I made to show it in action with the Pinball arcade. This is from an iPhone 4S. http://goo.gl/fmqsA

Members online

Members online