Request Dynamic ball reflections for android

Pinbwiz

Nov 5, 2012
Hi,
Comming from apple iphone world but recentlty discovered Pinball arcade while switching to android (with a new Galaxy Note 2).

As I wanted to try on tablet, I installed pa on an ipad2 i have for work.

I am now eager to acquire a leasure tablet for myself, either a nexus 7 ( like the size )for tegra enhanced games support or wait for the new nexus 10.

I'm today frustrated by lack of dynamic ball reflections on my note2 vs present on ipad2 ( I know... But waited ages to see that in a pinball game !)

So, is there something coming for enabling that on high end Android devicez or may we have a possibility to get a graphic tweak setting menu enabling this specific reflection for android devices ?

Many thanks and keep your wonderfull work flowing !

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Are there dynamic ball reflections on iPad? I'm certain that there aren't on the iPhone (4 at least).

I was actually thinking though it would be pretty easy to fake them by just having a bottom portion of the ball "reflect" a colour using a transparency that would represent a dominant colour in certain zones and could change zone by zone.

This technique was used on the High Speed table made by Kruge99 and looks pretty good.
On the other hand, I was playing LotR pinball today at one of our theaters and you want to know what i didn't notice once? Ball reflections. Is it really something worth getting bent about? Especially on a mobile platform where performance should be optimized first?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Hi,
Comming from apple iphone world but recentlty discovered Pinball arcade while switching to android (with a new Galaxy Note 2).

As I wanted to try on tablet, I installed pa on an ipad2 i have for work.

I am now eager to acquire a leasure tablet for myself, either a nexus 7 ( like the size )for tegra enhanced games support or wait for the new nexus 10.

I'm today frustrated by lack of dynamic ball reflections on my note2 vs present on ipad2 ( I know... But waited ages to see that in a pinball game !)

So, is there something coming for enabling that on high end Android devicez or may we have a possibility to get a graphic tweak setting menu enabling this specific reflection for android devices ?

Many thanks and keep your wonderfull work flowing !

Well there are high detail table models on the horizon, so perhaps some extra shininess will be visible with that update to Android.

Ryan suggested that he may have a chance to implement the last fixes for high detail models after his commitments with the tournament mode are met.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
The ball reflections on the iPad 4 are very shiny. Almost distractingly so. I really notice it on Big Shot. Very nice.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
yeah what Jared said ;) been crazy busy lately and will probably be so for a while, but I would like to implement both when given the chance.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Hello Ryan,

May I ask what the current status (ETA) of this feature for Android is at? I installed the app on an IPAD and was totally surprised by the ball reflection and would love to see that on 1080p Android tablets.

Spud

Jul 14, 2013
Well there are high detail table models on the horizon, so perhaps some extra shininess will be visible with that update to Android.

Ryan suggested that he may have a chance to implement the last fixes for high detail models after his commitments with the tournament mode are met.

Will this update work with all devices? Or will it be the same sort of thing with the high textures where only certain devices can use it?

If it is like the high textures option will it only be available to those devices or will some others be able to use it? Like my note 10.1!!:D

Spud

Jul 14, 2013
Are there dynamic ball reflections on iPad? I'm certain that there aren't on the iPhone (4 at least).

I was actually thinking though it would be pretty easy to fake them by just having a bottom portion of the ball "reflect" a colour using a transparency that would represent a dominant colour in certain zones and could change zone by zone.

This technique was used on the High Speed table made by Kruge99 and looks pretty good.
On the other hand, I was playing LotR pinball today at one of our theaters and you want to know what i didn't notice once? Ball reflections. Is it really something worth getting bent about? Especially on a mobile platform where performance should be optimized first?

We have an ipad in the house. I rarely touch it. There is certainly a difference between its ball and androids. Whether its called dynamic ball reflection or not i dont know. TBH, tpa looks amazing on the ipad but the ball and reflections are distracting for me. Looks great but I almost lose sight of the ball if its moving quickly.

I don't own any tables on it though so my experience is quite limited.

N

netizen

Have you tried using the latest build in the Android forum?

It has an option to turn the mipmapping off, this will, on some tables/devices, give the highest texture assets, but may cause performance hits with no guarantees.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Have you tried using the latest build in the Android forum?

It has an option to turn the mipmapping off, this will, on some tables/devices, give the highest texture assets, but may cause performance hits with no guarantees.

Cool, I'm glad Mike was able to include this option. THANKS MIKE! :)

I'll wait for the Kindle Fire HD build, but I'm holding it improves the differences between the iOS and Kindle quality.
T2-TPA_KindleFireHD_vs_iOS.png

Do you happen to know if that Android build added options for Bluetooth keyboard or a Wii Remote?

I love using it on the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD, but still don't like on screen controls for pinball.

Spud

Jul 14, 2013
Woowee, thanks for pointing me there. No more blur. Only got to try for 5 minutes but much better. Love it.

Seems to show jagged edges a bit more but I can read most of the text now! Awesome.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Woowee, thanks for pointing me there. No more blur. Only got to try for 5 minutes but much better. Love it.

Seems to show jagged edges a bit more but I can read most of the text now! Awesome.

Try turning on 4x MSAA in the Android Developer menu of your device and see if that smoothes out the jagged edges.

May cause a performance hit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Spud

Jul 14, 2013
Yeah. I looked for msaa setting some time ago and don't have it on my note 10.1. Can anyone else confirm if that is normal?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Yeah. I looked for msaa setting some time ago and don't have it on my note 10.1. Can anyone else confirm if that is normal?

Do you have developer options enabled in your settings menu? If you don't, you need to tap the build number in the About Device screen until it tells you that you are a developer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Spud

Jul 14, 2013
Ok. Doesn't really bother me all that much. I have the option on my phone and it kills the performance on that.

Looks heaps better anyway so I can't complain. Still runs great too.
Combine this with the high detail table models (I assume these are a separate thing and compatible with the note 10.1) and things will look amazing!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Ok. Doesn't really bother me all that much. I have the option on my phone and it kills the performance on that.

Looks heaps better anyway so I can't complain. Still runs great too.
Combine this with the high detail table models (I assume these are a separate thing and compatible with the note 10.1) and things will look amazing!

There are two "high" options:

1. High textures, which is what we have now for devices that support it.
2. High polygons, which was shelved due to concerns with performance on low end devices.

Point 2 requires updates to all REZ table models to boost the number of polygons used in the models. For example, the hexagonal orange stand-up targets showed in the skill shot camera zoom of BoP would be nice and round.

More polygons require accomplished GPU chips to push the models at a decent quality while maintaining the 60 FPS required for the physics engine to work properly.

I honestly believe many of the devices released this year (snap dragon SoaC architecture) would be able to push this level of detail.

The graphic quality on my Nexus 7 2013 astounds me compared to the TF300T. I would still love to try a build with *just one* table enabled with high poly assets. Choose a really troublesome table that was known to be a performance hog to test the theory.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
Whoa! What's wrong with the perspective on all the screws in the Kindle Fire HD screenshot?? It's like they're facing the viewer directly instead of facing up from the posts... Never noticed this before...

Cool, I'm glad Mike was able to include this option. THANKS MIKE! :)

I'll wait for the Kindle Fire HD build, but I'm holding it improves the differences between the iOS and Kindle quality.
T2-TPA_KindleFireHD_vs_iOS.png

Do you happen to know if that Android build added options for Bluetooth keyboard or a Wii Remote?

I love using it on the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD, but still don't like on screen controls for pinball.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.