TZ and STTNG

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Hey All,

I've never actually played these tables IRL, I've only dabbled a little on FP and VP. I was just curious what the big deal is with them? Is it just that they are the first real licensed tables on TPA or are they that good? If it's the latter, what is it about them that has everyone so amped up?

I love licensed tables, there's just something about a recognizable soundtrack, and following a story or characters you love from "x" IP. Here's hoping we get to see some of the newer Stern tables, of which they only have 2 so far. LOTR, Xmen, Batman, Spiderman etc etc...

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
i wasn't a fan of sttng when it first came out. but i admit i didn't give it much of a chance. i use to be one of those people who if they didn't like something right away, i hated it. i have sorta grown out of that. i am actually sorta pumped up to play sttng when it comes out.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
It's not that they're the first licensed tables, it's that a lot of people liked them.

Check out the top-10 list of solidstate pins at IPDB -

#1 - Twilight Zone
#2 - ST:TNG
#3 - ToM
#4 - MM
#5 - MB
#6 - TAF (I don't know if there are plans for this yet?)
#7 - ToTAN
#8 - IJ )Fun fact - this, along with TZ, were the first two tables emulated in WPCMAME... the predecessor of PinMAME. Coming to 15 years now!)
#9 - CV
#10 - Funhouse

Those were IPDB player ratings, and other than 2, TPA either has or will have simulations of them.

So the big deal is well, they're the top tables on the list, and it's time to start going after well-regarded tables. There are other licensees on that list that aren't done yet, but it looks like FarSight is wisely concentrating on tables that lots of people enjoy.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Yep, I've seen the list but I was looking for more table specific reasons for why they are so highly regarded :)

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
In Twilight Zone's case, Pat Lawlor was given complete creative freedom after the record-breaking success of his previous table (Addams Family) and so for fans of the Lawlor "stop-and-go" style, TZ is the pinnacle of the game. Lots of complexity, multiple possible strategies to pursue a high score, great balance (no 2X Continent Super Jackpots overwhelming all other scoring here), lots of variety in the different modes, etc. Oh, and it's pretty challenging, too. Combine that with a strong and well-executed integration with the theme, good artwork, and lots of innovation - the Powerfield/MagnaFlip has been done on no other table before or since (although the Powerball itself has made a few guest appearances on recent Sterns) - and you get the #1 rated machine of all time.

I am not as familiar with ST:TNG, but I understand it's TZ's counterpart for "flow"-oriented tables. Very fast and wide-open playfield, lots of action, the table even preloads balls in the kickouts so that players get back into the game faster. It's a lot of fun, but I think it's a bit easier than TZ (except those outlanes...if you think CV's are bad, you ain't seen nothin' yet!).

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Popular themes with lots of toys on both. Multiple flippers, gumball machine, magnet flippers, power ball, STTNG spiral ramp, cannons, etc. So much to do on both with many modes. They also have fun and varied shots to make. Some close shots, some far, some that must be hit with upper flippers. The shots and modes are so varied that they don't get boring. They are challenging enough for pinheads, yet fun and accessible to everyone.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Also, for anyone who actually watched the TV show, Star Trek: TNG has some of the best theme integration ever done. The visual style and the use of the TV music and original-cast voices are all just perfectly done.

(The one thing that doesn't quite fit is those "Battle Simulation" ball cannons, which don't really correspond to anything one associates with Star Trek: TNG; I think they're a holdover from the stage when it was supposed to be the Under Siege table.)

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Twilight Zone is the ultimate Pat Lawlor table; Star Trek: TNG is the ultimate Dennis Ritchie table.
Steve Ritchie designed ST:TNG. I'm not aware of a Dennis Ritchie; you're probably thinking of Dennis Nordman, who designed (among other tables) EATPM and Scared Stiff.

Also, for anyone who actually watched the TV show, Star Trek: TNG has some of the best theme integration ever done. The visual style and the use of the TV music and original-cast voices are all just perfectly done.
I'm really looking forward to this table on TPA for the sound package. The ST:TNG here is barely audible over the other tables nearby, so I'm not getting the full experience.

alexk3954

Mar 8, 2012
I'm really looking forward to this table on TPA for the sound package. The ST:TNG here is barely audible over the other tables nearby, so I'm not getting the full experience.

Me too, I have only played STTNG in a loud bar with the pinball volume turned way down. If I remember correctly there are some ridiculous quotes in there. I seem to remember Data (my favorite TNG character) saying something along the lines of " had you sent the ball along the proper trajectory, you would have been properly rewarded" as the ball goes down the outlane.

What current sterns use a powerball? I have only seen it in TZ, but there are many new sterns I have not got a chance to play.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Steve Ritchie designed ST:TNG. I'm not aware of a Dennis Ritchie; you're probably thinking of Dennis Nordman, who designed (among other tables) EATPM and Scared Stiff.

Sorry, my brain fart. I got him mixed up with the late Dennis Ritchie, co-inventor of C and Unix.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Me too, I have only played STTNG in a loud bar with the pinball volume turned way down. If I remember correctly there are some ridiculous quotes in there. I seem to remember Data (my favorite TNG character) saying something along the lines of " had you sent the ball along the proper trajectory, you would have been properly rewarded" as the ball goes down the outlane.

What current sterns use a powerball? I have only seen it in TZ, but there are many new sterns I have not got a chance to play.
Data does occasionally say that. It's quite infuriating at times, even more so because he's so coldly logical about it, yet he's not wrong in his statement.

Avatar LE has a Navi-Ball, which is literally the Powerball reborn: exact same material, color, dimensions and weight. I think all it does is enable 2X scoring while it's out; it doesn't have a special round associated with it like Powerball Mania in TZ.

Sorry, my brain fart. I got him mixed up with the late Dennis Ritchie, co-inventor of C and Unix.
Another great man. Without him, I would not have had my first two jobs. (C++, the successor to C, is my weapon of choice when coding.)

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012

You know about the Easter egg, right? Hit both flipper buttons to shut him up, with Picard testily saying "Thank you, Mr. Data." You get a Thank You Mr. Data bonus.

alexk3954

Mar 8, 2012
You know about the Easter egg, right? Hit both flipper buttons to shut him up, with Picard testily saying "Thank you, Mr. Data." You get a Thank You Mr. Data bonus.

No I had no idea, that is just too perfect! I am so excited for this table to come out. I was looking, but I don't think there is a single table open to the public anywhere in the LA area

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
In Twilight Zone's case, Pat Lawlor was given complete creative freedom after the record-breaking success of his previous table (Addams Family) and so for fans of the Lawlor "stop-and-go" style, TZ is the pinnacle of the game. Lots of complexity, multiple possible strategies to pursue a high score, great balance (no 2X Continent Super Jackpots overwhelming all other scoring here), lots of variety in the different modes, etc. Oh, and it's pretty challenging, too. Combine that with a strong and well-executed integration with the theme, good artwork, and lots of innovation - the Powerfield/MagnaFlip has been done on no other table before or since (although the Powerball itself has made a few guest appearances on recent Sterns) - and you get the #1 rated machine of all time.

I am not as familiar with ST:TNG, but I understand it's TZ's counterpart for "flow"-oriented tables. Very fast and wide-open playfield, lots of action, the table even preloads balls in the kickouts so that players get back into the game faster. It's a lot of fun, but I think it's a bit easier than TZ (except those outlanes...if you think CV's are bad, you ain't seen nothin' yet!).

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Seren! I am officially excited for these tables now. I've been messing around with them in FP and I definitely liked STTNG. Twilight Zone was definitely complex and I had no clue as to the ruleset. But this is a good thing. After the last year or so of Zen and all of their complex goals I started to find that depth lacking in the current TPA tables.

CANT WAIT!!

Canadian365

Jun 26, 2012
At the $20 Kickstarter Backer level and up! "Get the Star Trek: The Next Generation pinball table on any two platforms of your choice, PLUS an exclusive Star Trek: The Next Generation Pinball wallpaper for the device of your choice." Has anyone received the wallpapers yet?

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
At the $20 Kickstarter Backer level and up! "Get the Star Trek: The Next Generation pinball table on any two platforms of your choice, PLUS an exclusive Star Trek: The Next Generation Pinball wallpaper for the device of your choice." Has anyone received the wallpapers yet?
I had to request mine for TZ last week, but it was sent to me the following day. As was my t-shirt.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Get the f out of here. We have to request what we are owed? That is not good. No wonder I don't have wallpapers for TZ and STTNG. That's BS.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts