Pinball Arcade doesn't work on a New iPad

Stan Smith

Apr 5, 2012
Pinball Arcade doesn't work on a New iPad -- Major issues, including UI scaling and severe framerate issues that render it (no pun intended) completely unplayable. Looks like it's been broken since the last update on the 28th - is there really still no word at all about getting a fix into our grubby little mitts?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The word is they submitted the update to Apple this past Friday, so the ball is in Apple's court right now, so hopefully they'll approve and release it soon. The good news is the update also adds the two new DLC tables for purchase (Medieval Madness and Bride of Pinbot).

Stan Smith

Apr 5, 2012
I hope it's soon. My bloody eyes are about gone, so I can't play it on my phone. And I traded in my old iPad for this new one, so I'm hosed until they get this sorted.

I don't even care that much about the new tables, at least until it's playable again. :)

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
You could do what I did, uninstall the app and re-install the old version. The old version should be in your recycle bin assuming you installed from itunes on your mac/pc.

Stan Smith

Apr 5, 2012
Nope - I'd installed the new version on my original iPad, and it worked fine there. So it was long gone by the time I traded for my new iPad two days ago.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Apple rejected the latest iOS update so unfortunately ipad3 users are going to have to continue to wait for an update.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Apple rejected the latest iOS update so unfortunately ipad3 users are going to have to continue to wait for an update.

Yep will be AT LEAST another week!!!.....and then whos to say this 'new' update wont get rejected once more!!! To be far i think im going to stick with VP and FP on my PC......least those simulators have high res textures and there free for christ sake!!!!

Bob Albright

Feb 28, 2012
I'm really upset too--- bought the new Ipad primarily to play PA--then they update it and make it unplayable. It seems like over 2 weeks now since it got screwed up. You'd think they would be able to resolve the issues a lot sooner

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Yep will be AT LEAST another week!!!.....and then whos to say this 'new' update wont get rejected once more!!! To be far i think im going to stick with VP and FP on my PC......least those simulators have high res textures and there free for christ sake!!!!

The reason the tables on VP and FP are free is because they are illegal. Do you think JPSalas or any of the other authors are paying Williams, Bally, Stern, etc???? Besides, the physics in FP suck and it has been abandoned by Leathley and the visual pinball tables are flat static images, most of which are ugly as hell.

John Shepherd

Mar 29, 2012
Nope - I'd installed the new version on my original iPad, and it worked fine there. So it was long gone by the time I traded for my new iPad two days ago.

Are you using a mac with time machine turned on? If so, it's fairly easy to recover old versions of your apps. Delete the current version of the app, then use time machine to find a copy of pinball arcade 1.0.8.ipa in ~/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications. Restore it, then drag and drop the file to your iTunes window. Done. :)

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Yup blame Apple for the delay...

What's really going on over at Apple...
34qojde.jpg

Stan Smith

Apr 5, 2012
Que? Farsight releaased a game with new and completely untested features and didn't have a back-out plan if things went wrong. Then they released a new version that added new features, instead of just bug fixes, which may well have triggered a deeper look at an app that was already online. They should be calling Apple every hour on the hour, looking out for their customers. But I really doubt that's happening.

Yep, Apple is slow, and their approval process borders on random. But 1.0.9 should never have made it to the store in the first place. And with all the near-and complete-show-stopper bugs that have been introduced with this app, it's apparent that Farsight either relies on their coders to test and has no testing department, or they're just plain moving too fast.

Stan Smith

Apr 5, 2012
I've called Apple many times, actually, and I've only been left pissed off once. It happens.

Look, I love Pinball Arcade. But it was rendered unplayable on the very device the update targeted, and that's not right. I'd play it on the PS3, but I've had it lock up my otherwise completely stable PS3 Slim 3 times now. So I play it on the Vita. While the Vita PA interface is questionable at times (why does it flip between 3 different "Please Wait" screens when returning to the menu? Why does it make me hit a button every time I finish a game and it does a save?), at least it plays perfectly there.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah how dare Farsight try to fix the issue and at the same time provide you with new DLC!

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
They should be calling Apple every hour on the hour, looking out for their customers.

It doesn't work that way. You can't just ring Apple and get their attention. Not unless your product has the words "Angry Birds" in its title.

As you say, Apple is random.

Once you submit your application, it goes in to the queue. You may request that it be expedited, but keep in mind that thousands of developers ask for expedition. And expedition may not be particularly swift.

If people want someone to blame for iOS and Mac OS X Store delays, they can blame Apple. Apple are the ones who designed the system, operate and maintain it.

Also keep in mind that developers get almost no information during the submission process. And if they are rejected, they often face boilerplate explanations, requiring them to first decipher the problem before acting on it.

Been there, done that. I feels sorry for any developer that has to go through Apple's hoops. Especially when you consider the costs involved (in terms of time and royalty cut).

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
They should be calling Apple every hour on the hour, looking out for their customers.

It doesn't work that way. Developers can't just ring Apple and get their attention. Not unless the product has the words "Angry Birds" in its title.

As you say, Apple is random.

Once you submit your application, it goes in to the queue. You may request that it be expedited, but keep in mind that thousands of developers ask for expedition. And expedition may not be particularly swift.

If people want someone to blame for iOS and Mac OS X Store delays, they can blame Apple. Apple are the ones who designed the system, operate and maintain it.

Also keep in mind that developers get almost no information during the submission process. And if they are rejected, they often face boilerplate explanations, requiring them to first decipher the problem before acting on it. Assuming, of course, that the problem can be acted on. I've had an app rejected due to Apple's errors (detecting false positives in allegedly "private code" in WebKit). Extremely annoying. (And just try to explain technical problems to the minimum-wage "app reviewers" and their canned responses.)

I feel sorry for any developer that has to go through Apple's hoops. Especially when you consider the costs involved (in terms of time and royalty cut).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.