Help! I need something to do entertainment wise....

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I recently cancelled my RuneScape membership due to the so called "Evolution of Combat" that's going to totally kill it. Lots of others agreed with me. Because of this (and due to the countless hours on this game), I need something else to do, besides my other favorite hobbies (pinball, Luxor, Bejeweled, etc.). Maybe I should do these more....

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
What about a non-video game hobby? Anything that interests you? Maybe reading, building something...?

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Dude you have almost the width and breath of human knowledge and "games" infrint of ou dnjoy i found the history of video pinall mostly via emualtion...aside from demons crush

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
I recently cancelled my RuneScape membership due to the so called "Evolution of Combat" that's going to totally kill it. Lots of others agreed with me. Because of this (and due to the countless hours on this game), I need something else to do, besides my other favorite hobbies (pinball, Luxor, Bejeweled, etc.). Maybe I should do these more....

I get into that fix every once in a while. Actually, I'm not happy unless I keep my brain busy creating something. Currently, I'm half-way through a few different creative projects, and I'll switch between them if I hit a wall or my mood changes. For instance, this is a map that I threw together to help organize my thoughts on Pale Horizon, a piece of literature that I'm conceptualizing as we speak...

mythrisworldmap.jpg

Maybe writing, drawing, or even brainstorming in this way doesn't work for everyone, but for me, it often connects to other entertainment that I'm into at the time. I'm on a fantasy RPG kick right now, so working on Pale Horizon is pretty cathartic and allows me to draw inspiration from the games I'm playing.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Also, since you were on RuneScape, maybe it's time to try a new free-to-play MMORPG. I know a lot of us are playing Guild Wars 2 right now, but for the no-cost alternative and some amazing combat, why not try Vindictus?

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/2240-Vindictus-Just-Keeps-Getting-Better!

Otherwise, do you own any consoles or handhelds, or are you PC-only?

Recently, I've read the entire Hunger Games, First Law, and Night Angel book series and spent time on a PC-run with Skyrim.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
PC only for Pinball Arcade. I have a Wii, PS1, N64, Gamecube, multiple GBA's and a DS. Currently I can't play any games I have on Steam. I recently got back into playing Metroid Prime Trilogy (one of the best :D), and I haven't been into both PHoF collections because of TPA on Steam.

Anyway, I've never experienced RuneScape in 2006 before, because I joined in mid 2009. I think it's time I get that experience and not the "Evolution of Combat" :) http://2006scape.com/

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Considering your affinity for runescape and having a nintendo bias for consoles, may I suggest: "Xenoblade Chronicles" for Wii.
It's the Wii's swansong and in some opinion the greatest game for the platfrom It's a singeplayer game with a strong MMO vibe.

As you are asking for some general entertainment options:
If you are into crimeshows:
-watch all seasons of dexter (a show about a serial killer that solves crimes...no really)

If you enjoy fantasy
-watch (or read) game of thrones. Id recommend to watch the first 2 seasons and pick up the books where they left at season 2. Season 3 is being produced right now
-Walking dead (the tv show is decent, the game is astounding and the comics I dont read)
-If you want your fantasy to be really deep, enigmatic and a road of discovery on how the world and its people work: read Malazan book of the Fallen. Its a 10 book series (wiuth subseries on the way), and I recommend it highly. But make sure to read it along with the reread analysis on http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen or you might feel clueless at first (and at some points in other books as well, but that is essentially the point sometimes and you get used to being clueless because you kow things will be explained bit by bit later on).

If you enjoy Scfi
-I personally enjoyed the new series Battlestar Gallactica.
-

Games on pc and/or nintendo console
-Xcom
-Borderlands 2
-The latest Zelda was very decent, assuming you have a motionplus on your wii
-try to learn how to play Starcraft 2 competitively. I gave up on it because I just dont have the multitasking capabilities (and subsequently apm) to play it on a level I enjoy, so I moved on to dota2 which needs less multitasking and apm but still scratches that same strategy itch for me.
-Those who can, can, those who can't.......watch comepetitive SC2 (Im not enough into Dota yet to properly enjoy watching it competitively, SC2 is much easier to get into). I'm surprised on how much I enjoy wathcing pros play a game (with a decent comenter) . I honestly enjoy it more than watching football nowadays, even if it makes me want to play myself. www.sc2casts.com is a good startingpoint in watching. Commenters I personally enjoy: Artosis, Tasteless, Day9, Apollo, Total Biscuit, Catspyjamas teamed with anyone really, Incontrol as long as he's teamed up with someone who does the actual play-by-play. I'm trying to enjoy Mr Bitter and RotterDam, but their smalltalk sometimes annoys the *f* out of me. Making conversation during the first 5 minutes of a game is fine, but after the 10 minute mark I can really do without it. Husky and HD seem popular with the casual crowd, but HD in particular doesnt do much for me.

Last edited:

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Considering your affinity for runescape and having a nintendo bias for consoles, may I suggest: "Xenoblade Chronicles" for Wii.
It's the Wii's swansong and in some opinion the greatest game for the platfrom It's a singeplayer game with a strong MMO vibe.

As you are asking for some general entertainment options:
If you are into crimeshows:
-watch all seasons of dexter (a show about a serial killer that solves crimes...no really)

If you enjoy fantasy
-watch (or read) game of thrones. Id recommend to watch the first 2 seasons and pick up the books where they left at season 2. Season 3 is being produced right now
-Walking dead (the tv show is decent, the game is astounding and the comics I dont read)
-If you want your fantasy to be really deep, enigmatic and a road of discovery on how the world and its people work: read Malazan book of the Fallen. Its a 10 book series (wiuth subseries on the way), and I recommend it highly. But make sure to read it along with the reread analysis on http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen or you might feel clueless at first (and at some points in other books as well, but that is essentially the point sometimes and you get used to being clueless because you kow things will be explained bit by bit later on).

If you enjoy Scfi
-I personally enjoyed the new series Battlestar Gallactica.
-

Games on pc and/or nintendo console
-Xcom
-Borderlands 2
-The latest Zelda was very decent, assuming you have a motionplus on your wii
-try to learn how to play Starcraft 2 competitively. I gave up on it because I just dont have the multitasking capabilities (and subsequently apm) to play it on a level I enjoy, so I moved on to dota2 which needs less multitasking and apm but still scratches that same strategy itch for me.
-Those who can, can, those who can't.......watch comepetitive SC2 (Im not enough into Dota yet to properly enjoy watching it competitively, SC2 is much easier to get into). I'm surprised on how much I enjoy wathcing pros play a game (with a decent . I honestly enjoy it more than watching football nowadays, even if it makes me want to play myself. www.sc2casts.com is a good startingpoint in watching

Strong recommendations, bavelb. I thoroughly approve on all counts.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
It's official. I quit RuneScape because of: 1) Buyable spins on Squeal of Fortune (against RWT), 2) Solomon's General Store (also RWT), and 3) A copy of World of Warcraft's combat system. Seriously, Jagam (perviously known as Jagex), why fix something that isn't broken? In fact, why don't you listen to your PLAYERS and not the MONEY????? Bye RuinScape, for taking 3 years out of my life. GF Jagex, GF Insight Venture Partners, GF Mod Mark.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.