Who else plays dark fantasy RPGs?

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Dark fantasy role-playing makes up a large majority of my gaming these days, whether it's in the form of an old-school dungeon crawler, an open-world action adventure, or an MMO. I feel like I've played a majority of the great ones from this generation, but if anyone here has recommendations on what I may have missed along the way, I'm all for it.

DARK FANTASY OF THE SEVENTH GENERATION
01) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Bethesda] PC
02) Demon’s Souls [From Software] PS3
03) Guild Wars 2 [ArenaNet] PC
04) Dragon Age: Origins [BioWare] PC
05) Vindictus [devCAT] PC
06) The Quest [Redshift] IOS
07) Fable II [Lionhead] XB360
08) Dragon’s Dogma [Capcom] PS3
09) The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [CD Projekt RED] PC
10) Xenoblade Chronicles [Monolith] WII
11) Legend of Grimrock [Almost Human] PC
12) Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning [38 Studios] PS3
13) The Dark Spire [Success] DS
14) Age of Conan [Funcom] PC
15) White Knight Chronicles II [Level-5] PS3
16) Diablo III [Blizzard] PC
17) TERA [Bluehole] PC
18) Warriors of the Lost Empire [Goshow] PSP
19) Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain [Big Blue Bubble] DS
20) Nier [Cavia] PS3
21) Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade [SOE] PSP
22) Two Worlds II [Reality Pump] PC
23) Risen [Piranha Bytes] PC
24) Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls [Acquire] PS3
25) Dungeon Siege III [Obsidian] PC

Do you have a favorite series?

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I was a big Baldur's Gate fan back in its heyday. I've tried a few since then, but nothing has really pulled me in quite like BG did. I'm glad to see it's getting a makeover on iOS and other platforms:

http://www.baldursgate.com/

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
Really looking forward to play BG on the go. Hope they remake Planescape:Torment as well. DMed a P&P Planescape campaign for quite a while. Love the setting. And for me Torment was even better than BG.

How about Monster Hunter Tri on Wii, Joshua? Not my cup of tea, but certainly missing on your expansive list.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
I thought about Tri, especially since Wii is at a severe shortage of mature games like that. But I actually enjoyed Monster Hunter Freedom Unite more on the PSP, and when we're talking Capcom offerings, Dragon's Dogma is much closer to the "dark fantasy" RPG experience I'm looking for.

Still, thanks for the suggestion.

And yeah, I'm also jazzed about the refresh of Baldur's Gate. I agree that it would be awesome to see Torment get similar treatment. I seem to get a lot more gaming done on PC and iOS these days, so having more quality RPGs and classic remakes on those platforms is definitely a plus.

Jeff, if you loved BD, it seems like Dragon Age or Skyrim would be an easy next-gen switch. Have you tried them? If not, I would only recommend PC versions, but they're both top-notch. Skyrim looks insane after applying the high-res texture pack on a powerful rig.

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I got sucked into Skyrim, and am currently playing Witcher 2 (I've beaten the first already). I don't know if they're considered dark fantasy, but I love Persona (beginning with 3 and 4, as 1 and 2 on PSP were disappointments). Definitely my favorite RPG series. Even though I am not a fan of randomly generated dungeon crawlers, the storyline, activities, and especially the characters make this great.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
I got sucked into Skyrim, and am currently playing Witcher 2 (I've beaten the first already). I don't know if they're considered dark fantasy, but I love Persona (beginning with 3 and 4, as 1 and 2 on PSP were disappointments). Definitely my favorite RPG series. Even though I am not a fan of randomly generated dungeon crawlers, the storyline, activities, and especially the characters make this great.

While I wouldn't list them as dark fantasy, Persona 3 is among my top 5 games of all time (though I'm still torn over which is the more definitive version, FES or Portable). I've been playing Shin Megami Tensei games since the mid-90's, so even Persona 1 & 2 are great to me. Nocturne is another fav, but all of the core SMTs are more cerebral modern RPGs with religious and existential overtones, not exactly fantasy. Can't wait 'til 4 Golden hits Vita later this month.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.