Pinball owners thread

Mike Laskey

Apr 6, 2012
Hi, I'm new here since stumbling accidentally upon Pinball Arcade in the 360 marketplace today. Tried the demo and converted to the paid version within a few minutes as it plays great. I'd hope to see Cactus Canyon simulated at some time for the single reason that they're so expensive to buy!!

Anyway I looked here to see if there's a table owner's thread and couldn't see one. I have a Theatre of Magic, owned for about 6 years now. It's my only table, I don't play it much but when I do I thoroughly enjoy it. Pinball Arcade seem to have it spot on, the sounds, experience and so on. I question some of the colours, lighting and so on but the gameplay is right there. Good job!

Who else here has tables and which ones are they?

Mike

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Hello Mike and welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you're enjoying the game. I'd also love to see Cactus Canyon in TPA as well.

When I was a kid, my parents bought an old Alpine Club EM which I loved dearly. Unfortunately I don't currently own any real machines. My wife thinks they're far too expensive. I almost had her talked into letting me get Space Shuttle for $650 a couple months ago, but that was still too pricey for her :/ I had the green light on a Spy Hunter for $400, but the table layout just isn't that great, IMO, so I passed that one up.....so for now, the Pinball Arcade is the closest thing I can get at home, and for $10, it's quite a bargain.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I may not own a table, but I desperately want to! The thing I've noticed is, pinball tables actually increase in value over time, a rarity among most things available for purchase. This got me thinking, is there a way to get into being an owner at a relatively inexpensive level, and then through trades or reselling working your way up to the more expensive machines? Or is it that the EM tables aren't gonna be as much in demand and therefore would be worthless for trying to use as a foot in the door for stepping up to the more expensive (and popular) machines?

Just curious, cause I'll never convince the wife (and hell, even myself) to drop $4500 on a table, but $450 is a whole other ball of wax. It's just I don't care for EM's!

Mike Laskey

Apr 6, 2012
Yes they are expensive unfortunately, just like anything that isn't mass produced and therefore highly desirable. In a previous life I had a bit more disposable income and convinced the wife that buying a Theatre of Magic would be an investment or at least wouldn't decrease in value. To my surprise and delight she went for it :) But remember, unless you have a house fire or some other disaster, you're not going to lose money. Tables really don't seem to depreciate like cars etc.

Best thing to pick up a real table is to join a group and buy directly from seasoned pinball owners... I'd not necessarily recommend buying via auction as you'll often end up paying premium price for highly sought tables.

Danzig

Mar 1, 2012
Hey Mike, if you are looking for a tables owners site just go to pinballowners.com it's been around a long time even though people aren't too active on there. My name on there is danzig and I'm in Arizona.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I do not currently own one but was fortunate enough to have had tables when I was a kid. My grandparents purchased a "Mystic Marvel" table for their kids (my mom & uncle) in the 1950s and held onto it all through my childhood. It was such a special treat to be able to go over there and play that machine! Unfortunately, it was sold off when my grandparents passed away. Given that only about 1000 were produced, I'm going to have a tough time finding another one :( When I was about 8 (1980), my parents bought a "Strato-Flite" table. They still have it and it's still in pretty good condition. I suspect I'll end up with it when that time comes.

As for me, someday I'd like to own a "Funhouse". My wife is on board with the concept, I just need to find the $4000+ to make it happen. So many other things just get in the way first!

Tabe

Jay

May 19, 2012
I've owned three machines (plus a wonderful old Chicago Coin Drive Master), but for space reasons I'm down to one: Bally's 1963 Trio, which I found abandoned in a basement along with another machine that I restored and sold. I wish I could remember what that other machine was. It was probably made in the '40s or '50s, had a hoe-down theme with an upper and lower playfield. There were four tiny flippers off to the sides. I wish I had taken a picture of it. Anyway, another machine I owned was Bally's Freedom, a basement find that my wife located for $70.

I'm currently working (slowly) on restoring Trio. There's a short in the lighting wiring somewhere. But even without lights, it's a fun table.

EDIT: After doing a bit of research, I'm pretty sure that the hoe-down machine I had was Bally's Harvest.

Last edited:

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I was fortunate enough to be able to buy some games before the prices went crazy. I currently have a Black Knight, Centaur, The Getaway and Star Trek : The Next Generation. I had a whole bunch more but sold them to pay for my wedding - Twilight Zone, The Shadow, Fish Tales, Medusa, Fathom, Vector, Bride of Pinbot, Indiana Jones, Haunted House, Cirqus Voltaire...

There are only two that I truly regret selling on - Theatre of Magic and Attack From Mars.

I enjoy the restoring and repairing almost as much as playing them.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
There are only two that I truly regret selling on - Theatre of Magic and Attack From Mars.

I find it really interesting how many people LOVE owning ToM. Maybe you can explain the appeal over other tables. I've known (in internet terms) a few guys who got rid of ToM and then immediately sought to get one back. Typically they had traded a TZ for it, thinking that would be the ultimate. Interesting, very interesting. I always thought Centaur would be a perfect table for sitting in a man cave. Thing is so rock and roll.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I find it really interesting how many people LOVE owning ToM. Maybe you can explain the appeal over other tables. I've known (in internet terms) a few guys who got rid of ToM and then immediately sought to get one back. Typically they had traded a TZ for it, thinking that would be the ultimate. Interesting, very interesting. I always thought Centaur would be a perfect table for sitting in a man cave. Thing is so rock and roll.

My dad absolutely loves ToM and plays it every time we go to a show. I think its a mixture of the theme, music, artwork and that trunk toy that gets him excited. He'd love to own one but they go for just too much around PA. Usually 3k for one needing a shop job and on up. Funny thing is he won't even bother with TPA version because in his words "its not real." I tried convincing him otherwise but it was a no go on that front.

I've owned and shopped two machines in the past. T2 and a Sorcerer. My resale experience has been "breaking even." I never lost money but didn't make any either when selling them. I'd absolutely love to get a Centaur. I absolutely love that reverb in the voice. I absolutely love the artwork. Well, you get the point. They don't come up for sale too often around here. Saw one at Pinfest this year in the flea market but it was sold within the first couple hours of the show. I think its a table that, when a collector gets one, it doesn't get sold too often. Which is why I hope Farsight does a conversion of one.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
My dad absolutely loves ToM and plays it every time we go to a show. I think its a mixture of the theme, music, artwork and that trunk toy that gets him excited. He'd love to own one but they go for just too much around PA. Usually 3k for one needing a shop job and on up. Funny thing is he won't even bother with TPA version because in his words "its not real." I tried convincing him otherwise but it was a no go on that front.

Yeah, that trunk toy is pretty awesome. The only thing that really bothers me with the table is the insane scores. I mean you hit 20 million without even trying. Not a fan of bloated scores. As for not playing it in TPA, well I'd rather play it there than nowhere, which is my usual option! I also use the virtual tables as an interactive tutor for the rule sets. Good way to learn 'em so that when you do come across the real thing you can actually spend some quality time with it.

I'd absolutely love to get a Centaur. I absolutely love that reverb in the voice. I absolutely love the artwork. Well, you get the point. I think its a table that, when a collector gets one, it doesn't get sold too often. Which is why I hope Farsight does a conversion of one.

I'm not usually a fan of that era of table, but I got hooked on Centaur when I played it in Visual Pinball. This one table author, PacDude, not only did a brilliant job of recreating it, he also added his own mode. Basically when you got multiball the balls turned into 'orbs' of different color, and you had to shoot the correct colored orb into it's corresponding slot. Also you're own music would kick in during this mode, and I had the 'Burly Brawl' from the Matrix come on, which never failed to get me worked up. It was such an awesome 'only in a virtual world' addition without being unreal to the spirit of the table, I couldn't help but fall in love with it. I've played it since without such a mode obviously, but in my head the music kicked in anyways and I imagined the balls turning blue, green, red, and yellow. I could only dream if Farsight was allowed to do such an alteration, but I know it'll never happen.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012

I think that as a whole package - layout, theme, ruleset, artwork, audio... ToM feels very complete. The trunk is such a simple idea but a perfectly realised toy. It never feels like a gimmick. The layout flows beautifully and it's a game that is full of curves, which I think keeps the physics interesting. The artwork, particularly the backglass, has a classic feel to it and a distinctive colour scheme and I think the cabinet art is probably my favourite as it reflects the theme so well. It even has a video mode that works and is fun! Although it might not seem that important, the music and voices on ToM somehow manage to not be intrusive of irritating even after years of playing it. I think it's the fact that they remain sounding either serious or awestruck rather than wisecracking. Finally... great lighting too. Second only to TotAN in being creative with flashers and GI.

I sold mine when I got a CV, which is a very clever game but ultimately lacked the cohesion and balance that I enjoyed with ToM. The music on CV drove my wife to distraction and there were lots of little things that irritated me about the game (that horrible video mode, juggler saucers acting up etc.). The only thing CV did better was the Wizard Mode, which was the only disappointing element of ToM. I keep hoping that some home roms will appear someday for ToM with a more satisfying multiball Wizard Mode. :)

Centaur is easily the most exciting of the early Bally SS games (Fathom is the prettiest). Still looks and sounds super-cool. The one I have indeed came from the man-cave of the previous owner. :D

Da Chosen

Jun 5, 2012
At the moment i am owning three machines: Lord of the Rings, Spiderman and Transformers Limited Edition. The first 2 are home used only and only had a couple of hundred games before i got them. the last one arrived to my house brand new in box around christmas 2011.

I owned a lot of games allready: Scared Stiff, Fishtales, White Water, Circus Voltaire, Monster Bash, Wheel of Fortune, Super Mario Bros, Frankenstein, Theatre of Magic, Flintstones etc. etc. Unfortunatly I only have space for three pins, otherwise I would have kept a lot more pinballs. The ones I miss the Most are CV and MB. Beautiful pinballs to see and a lot of nice gameplay and a lot of things going on in the game.

Actually I don't miss TOM so much, It's a beatiful game no doubt but as you own it over time it gets a little boring to always hitting that trunk. the trunk allso breaks often. The magic is great in the pinball, but if you clean the playfield and know how everything works, it's just like a magicians trick which is explained to you... not so mysterious anymore.

Hope to own a Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness and Sopranos some time and hope to get a CV and MB back one day :)

stevevt

Mar 31, 2012
I have a Dirty Harry and an Attack from Mars. AFM is nicely restored and has a ColorDMD from the second run. I'm also picking up a restored and re-stenciled Flash Gordon Friday.

Owned previously: No Good Gophers, Simpsons Pinball Party, Whitewater, Pinbot.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
oh man, as a little kid back in the eighties, one of the first (i guess) 3 pinball machines i ever played, was flash gordon :D didn't really know what was going on at the time, but i dug the comic and consequently the pinball :eek:

image-7.jpg

Jay

May 19, 2012
Flash Gordon was in the arcade of an amusement park where I worked. I ran a ride right next to it. All day long I'd hear, "Flash! Emperor Ming awaits!"

Pinballer

Jun 27, 2012
Hi guys
I have had the privilege of owning 40+ pins over the last 15yrs and there are very few 90s Bally/Williams tables that have escaped me, at one point I had 20+ in storage and 7 in my games room! This turned out to be a full time job just keeping them running and after years the continual repairs, servicing, cleaning etc became too much so I decided to let most of them go. Lucky for me most of my purchases were in the late 90s when pins were cheap (under $1000) so I benefited from their over inflated prices which eased the pain a little.

My biggest regrets? letting my MB and AFM go and I didn't realise it until they had gone.

Most overrated pin IMO? MM had 3 played em to death but never really grabbed me?

Most underrated pin IMO? RS what a cracking game, being a lawler fan it was everything and more.

Best looking pin IMO? CV but again it never really done it for me so it went

So what have I currently got? TAFG, TZ, SS & FH. Yep as I said bit of a lawler fan but just love the wit of SS.

Ive got to add the fact TPA has totally blown me away on the iPad & Xbox so I am currently building a 3 monitor virtual pinball ready for the PC version of TPA (proto now finished and running). It's currently running VPinmame which is a great sim in its own right and if any of you guys aint checked it out you should.

I am sure FS are gonna be responsible for a lot more cabinet projects springing up on the forum if they sort the PC version out like I'm confident they will be.

Sorry for long post I get a bit enthusiastic when taking pinball hehe

Regards Col aka pinballer

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.