Why pay more for TPA if it's just an iOS port?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
It's the apple way. There are a ton of apps that are .99 for the iPhone and 2.99 for the ipad even though they are are just a resized version of the same app. I guess it's worth it if you prefer to use a Mac.

night

May 18, 2012
Yeah, I am looking into it, but it's just the same thing as on the iPad, which feels a bit like.. meh. I'll guess that a console port for the Mac is a technical problem?

pacreis

Jun 8, 2012
It's not Apple who determines the price of an app, it's the developer. The share that apple gets it's same of a iOS app. Since the iPad was released developers have been charging for the "extra work" that is needed for a new/different hardware to be supported. Some developers price the same, others price higher and others even give a update for free with a universal version.
My opinion is if the Mac version doesn't offer any new or better feature it should priced the same, but I'm not the developer and only them know how much time and work was spent creating the Mac version to determine the price.

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
Developers tend to price their software higher on the Mac app store compared to the iOS store - it's a much smaller market, therefore with less potential sales.

Not in the mood to rant about the quality of the Mac version of TPA tonight!

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
I thought TPA was the same price?

Just it's $10 because it includes ToM, RBION, BH and TOTAN altogether rather than individual purchases. Bought for iOS, those 4 would also cost $10 - $1 for TOTAN, $9 for the rest?

Just like it's $10 on Xbox and PS3 and Vita...

night

May 18, 2012
I thought TPA was the same price?

Just it's $10 because it includes ToM, RBION, BH and TOTAN altogether rather than individual purchases. Bought for iOS, those 4 would also cost $10 - $1 for TOTAN, $9 for the rest?

Just like it's $10 on Xbox and PS3 and Vita...

I believe you are correct, it seems to include the 4 tables. And the tables that can be bought separately are a bit more expensive, but as opposite to the iOS version, the MAC version table-prices are all the same from what I can see in the App store.

Jay

May 19, 2012
And the tables that can be bought separately are a bit more expensive, but as opposite to the iOS version, the MAC version table-prices are all the same from what I can see in the App store.

Oddly, you can purchase individual tables in iOS, but only complete packages on the Mac. I've been less inclined to buy the Mac versions because, as someone else pointed out, the graphics are sometimes of lower quality on the Mac version. (One well-known case is that the pop bumpers on the Mac version of Black Hole are currently hexagonal.)

Frostyglitch

Apr 3, 2012
So far I've purchased all the tables for OS X to support FarSight. However, they've had since April to fix all the bugs and right now they fix one thing and break something else. Not to mention we still don't have customizable controls or any resemblance of a real Mac app. I understand iOS ports are common, but to charge this much for something that's actually lack luster really kind of sucks.

Last edited:

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
That's why I don't buy it for Mac. They should just stop making it for Mac. I have all the tables for IOS and PS3. Much better choices. Bought the first release for Mac, was painful.

ksmmspt

Jun 17, 2012
I actually enjoy playing on my imac which has a massive screen. I really prefer using the keyboard for the flippers as well. My highest scores to date have all occurred on the imac. I am worried that they are not going to work out the bugs and I'll be out the money I've invested. I still can't get TZ without it wanting me to buy it ($100 KS donation). I'm hoping they will catch up soon and smooth things out.

Whizkid33

Sep 25, 2012
I read somewhere that they are resubmitting the MAC store app on Monday... so I think it should be smoothed out. Because I also donated at the $100 level, and we seem to be the only ones that haven't been able to get our table.

night

May 18, 2012
Are there any ball and camera stutter problems on the Mac? (Problems I currently experience on the iPad2)

Terry Ingram

Sep 14, 2012
Are there any ball and camera stutter problems on the Mac? (Problems I currently experience on the iPad2)

I play TPA on iPhone, iPad, and iMac. And while I thoroughly enjoy playing on the iPad (iPhone is just too small), I'm still much more satisfied when playing on my iMac. The screen is larger thereby making the experience more lifelike. And I've had no issues with lag of any kind as long as you play in fullscreen mode. I have had issues when NOT playing in fullscreen mode. Fullscreen mode = (command + control + F)

night

May 18, 2012
I play TPA on iPhone, iPad, and iMac. And while I thoroughly enjoy playing on the iPad (iPhone is just too small), I'm still much more satisfied when playing on my iMac. The screen is larger thereby making the experience more lifelike. And I've had no issues with lag of any kind as long as you play in fullscreen mode. I have had issues when NOT playing in fullscreen mode. Fullscreen mode = (command + control + F)

Ok, thanks for the update Terry!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts