Pinballs no longer flying off the table?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I've played these new tables for several hours, and haven't seen this little quirk appear once. Have they removed it? I hope so, as I've never had that happen before in real life (due mainly to the fact I've never seen a machine in public without glass), and I wonder why they would include it in the first place.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
The collision detection wasn't as good in PHOF, we've improved it quite a bit so hopefully you should never see this happen.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Saw it once on black hole during plunge where it got some air but the balls stay within the play field.. In fact they rarely bounce off the surface unlike the real tables. Sterns are pretty notorious for that but all tables have it. I do prefer that not to be duplicated from the real life experience.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Should keep this in to some extent as on a real table you sometime get the ball hit the playfield glass now and again, so would add to the realisum of it???

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
I've had the ball leave the playfield, think it was totan, but could be wrong. Maybe bh. I think the game needs visible glass. And the odd sound effect when the ball hits it or lands on the table.

alexk3954

Mar 8, 2012
Saw it once on black hole during plunge where it got some air but the balls stay within the play field.. In fact they rarely bounce off the surface unlike the real tables. Sterns are pretty notorious for that but all tables have it. I do prefer that not to be duplicated from the real life experience.
I think they should try to emulate as accurately as possible, including the possibility for the ball to become airborne. They just need to add glass so that we get that fun cracking sound instead of balls flying off the table.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Definitely don't want visible glass, or if they decide to add it, make it optional. Both PHOFs had it as an option, and it was distracting. As far as having it hit invisible glass, I'm all for that! Their purpose is to make the experience as authentic as possible, both the good, and the bad (such as having the "genie grabbed" ball go SDTM upon release).

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
On Ripleys I had the ball fly up and land on the wire ramp after hitting it with the flipper. It was pretty funny, dont think I will see it happen again tho...

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
On Ripleys I had the ball fly up and land on the wire ramp after hitting it with the flipper. It was pretty funny, dont think I will see it happen again tho...

Same thing happened when my daughter was playing Ripley's...I've never done it though.

JCChaconJr

Jul 10, 2012
I don't know how probable this is, given that I've never seen the real machine, but in CV, I've had the ball end up flying onto the high wire rail when flung off the top of the Ringmaster's head quite a bit. It just seems to be too thin a rail for that to happen as often as it does, unless the rail is magnetized IRL or something.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I get a ball to shoot off the right side of CV quite often no big as it quickly spits out a new one, but what is annoying it when you shoot the highwire ramp and the ball just passes through.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
I get a ball to shoot off the right side of CV quite often no big as it quickly spits out a new one, but what is annoying it when you shoot the highwire ramp and the ball just passes through.

The highwire ramp bug is rather annoying especially when you are in the wizard mode and the shots to raise the ring master just keep clipping right through the ramp.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I don't know how probable this is, given that I've never seen the real machine, but in CV, I've had the ball end up flying onto the high wire rail when flung off the top of the Ringmaster's head quite a bit. It just seems to be too thin a rail for that to happen as often as it does, unless the rail is magnetized IRL or something.

On the real table, the ball sometimes is thrown onto the highwire rail and then rolls into the ball lock. It's considered a "feature" of the table.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
On the real table, the ball sometimes is thrown onto the highwire rail and then rolls into the ball lock. It's considered a "feature" of the table.

Indeed it is a feature of the table. There is even a "sneak-in" animation that is supposed to play when this does occur. However, I think there may be a bug since I rarely ever see it when the ball does get thrown up there.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Indeed it is a feature of the table. There is even a "sneak-in" animation that is supposed to play when this does occur. However, I think there may be a bug since I rarely ever see it when the ball does get thrown up there.
If the Highwire lock is lit when the Ringmaster throws the ball into the lock, you won't get the "Sneaky Lock" animation, just the normal lock animation.

Older iOS versions had an issue with the sneaky locks not triggering the DMD animation properly, but since v1.1.4 it seems to have been fixed. I have no idea whether the bug occurred on other platforms; no other platform I own has access to CV yet.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
If the Highwire lock is lit when the Ringmaster throws the ball into the lock, you won't get the "Sneaky Lock" animation, just the normal lock animation.

Older iOS versions had an issue with the sneaky locks not triggering the DMD animation properly, but since v1.1.4 it seems to have been fixed. I have no idea whether the bug occurred on other platforms; no other platform I own has access to CV yet.

Thanks for mentioning the fact about the lock being lit. I play on the PS Vita and although the Ringmaster has thrown the ball on to the ramp many times, I can only recall a seeing the animation a single time that stood out. I will try to pay closer attention to the state of the lock when the ball goes in and will report back with my findings.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.